Dan Walker warns cyclists after bike crash - 'The helmet I was wearing saved my life'

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Best bike for greater roundabout visibility:

I remember a spoof video (many many years ago before video recorders, let alone phones) of a bicycle powered by bouncing up and down. As it went down a steep and bumpy hill; the rider couldn't stop it getting faster and faster.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I remember a spoof video (many many years ago before video recorders, let alone phones) of a bicycle powered by bouncing up and down. As it went down a steep and bumpy hill; the rider couldn't stop it getting faster and faster.
"You powered this fat tire bike by bouncing up and down "

Perfect for potholes:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So I wonder. After the backlash of dark clothing on cyclists. Is black going to be discontinued as a colour for cars

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

You might be onto something - a dual adapter and angle changer for the GoPro helmet mount, plus two PlanetX lights made orange either side? A more diffuse light, instead of lights with beams would be better. Superglue + baking soda could stick any alternative light to a GoPro mount. ( :D )

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Teeth whitening (in practice)-From £563.00

View attachment 50405

BTW A small update... circumvented the Windows 7 Professional USB driver issue which prevented installation (could have slipstreamed, but Sony has pulled all drivers from their website), by starting the install on a desktop PC (msata > sata converter), then putting the mSATA back into the Sony VAIO P (msata to zif converter) to finish the installation (The same install method should shoehorn in Windows 10, but judging by what I've seen on Youtube, it isn't worth it). Now that I have Gparted resized (tried a windows based tool call Partition Wizard Minitool - it corrupted the disk) and installed a dual booting XP + Win7Pro + AntiX, for the latest Firefox releases going forward (Mozilla will stop developing for Windows 7 eventually), which will come in handy for those occasional websites (and routers) I encounter on the road, which are not usable because the developers haven't programmed a decent desktop mode for Android. Will also be handy for snipping GoPro video files. Linux Mint worked but was a bit glacial, so was Zorin Light - it has to be AntiX: takes about 49 seconds to fully boot, and it's comparatively snappy in operation, much more responsive than Mint and Zorin - in fact if I didn't need certain Windows apps, it'd do exclusively. Now have tri-boot Windows XP + Windows 7 Professional + AntiX (full version).

Crystaldiskmark on Win 7 Pro - pretty good on such an old, slow and tiny laptop (Atom Z520 CPU):

SEQ1M Q8T1 READ 99.82mb/s

SEQ1M Q8T1 WRITE 48.55mb/s

SEQ1M Q1T1 READ 96.06mb/s

SEQ1M Q1T1 WRITE 46.77mb/s

RND4K Q32T1 READ 23.08mb/s

RND4K Q32T1 WRITE 32.87mb/s

RND4K Q1T1 READ 14.04mb/s

RND4K Q1T1 WRITE 16.99mb/s

I cannot believe how fast Windows XP Pro boots and flies! XP boots in less than 10 seconds. It now only takes 28 seconds to get from the BIOS password screen to Windows 7 Professional's (see install method below) chirp upon full successful boot, and it's snappy in use. Everything took at least three times as long, before the upgrade of hard disk to mSATA SSD. Quite honestly I'm delighted.

I'm about to tape the secure the SSD with heat resistant double sided spongy sticky tape, and screw it all back together again. I knew upgrading that cr*p hard drive would be a freaking nightmare...

I had used cheapo Poundland sticky pads temporarily, and removing them was necessary to apply the new heat-resistant verion... tricky because one had stuck onto one of the hard drive pressure sensors, which warns of excessive forces:

After I had cleaned it off with isopropyl, the motherbooard occasionally couldn't detect the drive. Had to take it apart yet again. Check out these tiny clip-on motherboard power cables:

tiny speaker:

Discovered that a tiny bit of rubbery gunk I'd dislodged while cleaning, was gumming up the works, preventing proper connection of Sony's tiny ZIF cable:

Pictured resting on the SIM slot (it still works, until 3G networks all get sacrificed for 4/5/6G/nG):

The other end, thickened with re-applied Kapton tape, so that it makes a connection:

Then it was time to re-assemble

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks for recommending I use a jawguarded helmet, I believe it's saved my jaw or teeth at least twice so far.
Do you have any recommendations for a full face cycle helmet? Currently my wife & I each use a brilliant helmet from Sena that has a Bluetooth intercom system so we can chat to one another while out cycling. The only full face Sena helmets seem to be motorcycle helmets so much bigger, heavier & fantastically expensive. It does appear that I can buy a Sena Bluetooth system & fit it to the helmet of my choice which looks to be the cheapest option.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you have any recommendations for a full face cycle helmet? Currently my wife & I each use a brilliant helmet from Sena that has a Bluetooth intercom system so we can chat to one another while out cycling. The only full face Sena helmets seem to be motorcycle helmets so much bigger, heavier & fantastically expensive. It does appear that I can buy a Sena Bluetooth system & fit it to the helmet of my choice which looks to be the cheapest option.

I always wore a full helmet motorcycling, but I've never tried a full face helmet for cycling - mine only has a jawguard and is nothing special, works great: I can hear traffic clearly and it protects my ears from cold gusts, allows for easy fog-free breathing. Downhill MTB jawguards project forward, therefore I believe jawguarded helmets are sufficient to protect the face and jaw from the majority of impacts with large non-pointy flattish objects, such as road surfaces and most vehicle bodywork. After the "Top hat" style helmeted head hits the ground, momentum can roll the head to the side or front jaw to get damaged next. As I said, I believe mine has saved my jaw/teeth/face at least twice so far, thanks to advice I got on this forum from @soundwave and the now MIA @mt247 (last seen enquiring about handlebar mittens for cycling in the Icelandic winter) over two years ago.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Dan Walker says his body is 'still aching' but has managed to eat his first solid food in health update after he was hit by car while cycling in horror crash