Dangerous e-bike chargers found on Amazon and eBay

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
I read it but it seems to be aimed at the plugs not being up to UK standard. So its not really an ebike thing at all, it could apply to any imported electrical product. I was expecting something about dodgy unbranded lithium batteries going up in smoke.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I read it but it seems to be aimed at the plugs not being up to UK standard. So its not really an ebike thing at all, it could apply to any imported electrical product.
Of course, but it seems that a number of eBike chargers were found with dangerous plugs. So take care is buying an eBike charger off eBay etc.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I wonder if they were all plug type chargers? 36v x 2amps is quite a bit for a small charger.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I would be careful about buying cheap e-bike chargers from eBay. Two cheap ones I bought gave 43V output and not 42V. I had to modify them to be suitable:

You can see the size difference to a typical SANS 2A charger.

I have set them to 41V now. They do get quite warm in use and would benefit from being fitted with a fan.

With any mains purchase off of eBay, you need to check it thoroughly in terms of the plug etc. Is it fused? Is the right gauge of wire used for its current rating? Does it use the right 2 or 3 core cable colour code?E.g. once I bought a cell welder and it had a 13A UK plug, fitted with a 20A fuse and a cable only rated for 10A.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I have one that looks similar to the smaller one in the picture. It was supplied with a Swytch kit for my Bromtoon.

Its gets too hot really, not dangerous melty hot, but too hot for long term relaibility. It ought to have a fan.
Would be interested to know the voltage it gives out, if you have an accurate multimeter.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
42.67v off load, measured with a Fluke 87V, 41.9V on an Avo8MkV
So one gives an ok result, one too high...Which one do you believe has the best calibration? :)

I find this quite typical of multimeters in the 200V range - a lot of variation from one to another.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
So one gives an ok result, one too high...Which one do you believe has the best calibration? :)
The Fluke, but thats digital so effectivly open circuit, so the charger output might be a little high.

The Avo8 is an old style moving coil job and circa 50 years old, but puts a small load on the charger.

My other two digital meters, HP-90EPC 42.7v, OWON B35T 42.6V

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The Fluke, but thats digital so effectivly open circuit, so the charger output might be a little high.

The Avo8 is an old style moving coil job and circa 50 years old, but puts a small load on the charger.

My other two digital meters, HP-90EPC 42.7v, OWON B35T 42.6V

Sounds like the voltage is 42.6V and the AVO is a little out of calibration after all these years.

Would you expect a load under the rated output current to make any difference? It is designed to be a CC/CV switched mode PSU, so if there is a load and the output drops, the regulator should tell the high voltage side to increase frequency of the input pulses to bring the voltage output back up to the set OCV value.

I would not be comfortable with an output of 42.6V. Not likely to cause a fire, but quite likely to reduce the life of the battery pack.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most chargers that get hot have little or no ventilation so heat build up can't escape, for this reason I modded my sans and now none get hot.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Would you expect a load under the rated output current to make any difference?
It could do.

What you really need to do, rather than measure the open circuit voltage of the charger, is to measure at the time full charge is attained;

The voltage of the battery.
The output voltage of the charger whilst its still attached to the battery.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
> The charity looked at the mains plugs in the charging devices and said that all were so visually substandard that no test purchasing was necessary.

An image (in the original article) of the offending mains plug would have been helpful. Or did I miss it?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It could do.

What you really need to do, rather than measure the open circuit voltage of the charger, is to measure at the time full charge is attained;

The voltage of the battery.
The output voltage of the charger whilst its still attached to the battery.

When I have used SANS chargers as delivered from Yose Power, they have been set to 41.7 V by default and charge the battery to 41.7V. There is a little voltage relaxation after removing the charger, but I normally find this is less than 0.1V and the battery will be at 41.65V or so. It's similar when I set the chargers to 41V. The battery reaches 41V and then drops very slightly when the charger is removed, but not by much.

What would be interesting is what voltage you measure with a 42.6V charger as the battery reaches full charge.

Hopefully the BMS tries to dump excess voltage through the balance resistors, but the capacity for this is is not large, usually only a few 10 mA of current can be burned off. The current must fall to a small value, otherwise the charging light would not go from red to green. Would be interested to see what you measure when charging is complete and then what the battery voltage drops to after removing the charger.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One of those tiny triangular plus arrived attached to a variable voltage power supply last year, the pins are very close to the vertices, easy to end up touching them while plugging into a live outlet. They're also on a set of studio photography lights I bought three years ago. They're on all kinds of electrical equipment sold on ebay etc, not just ebike battery chargers.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
What would be interesting is what voltage you measure with a 42.6V charger as the battery reaches full charge.
It appears that my Swytch charger is charging the battery to circa 42.64.

However a silicon diode in series with the charge lead does seem to charge the battery OK and then the voltage on the battery side is 42V.

Should be out on it later today, when I recharge it I will check it full charges with the diode in place.

Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It appears that my Swytch charger is charging the battery to circa 42.64.

However a silicon diode in series with the charge lead does seem to charge the battery OK and then the voltage on the battery side is 42V.

Should be out on it later today, when I recharge it I will check it full charges with the diode in place.

That's really good to know. A major brand like Swytch you would expect to get it right. If the system is still under warranty, I would be asking for a replacement battery and charger.

Does the diode drop work ok? I tried that trick with my cheap PSUs, but found it would send the voltage reading all over the place...but I did not measure under load, just OCV.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Does the diode drop work ok? I tried that trick with my cheap PSUs, but found it would send the voltage reading all over the place...but I did not measure under load, just OCV.
Dont know yet, but one thought occurs to me.

I was measuring at the charge port, to get at the actual battery terminals needs a dismantle of the pack.

Now if the charge appears to work with a diode in series with the output of the charger, then its possible Swytch already have a diode on the charge input as protection. That would then make sense of the circa 42.7v input.

And I admit I never checked, but I have just now, and the back of the charger is in fact labelled 42.6V.

Moral of story, do not assume a charger for a 36V battery will always measure 42V .............

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I wonder if they were all plug type chargers? 36v x 2amps is quite a bit for a small charger.
In what way?
That is actually the 36 volt DC charging current, not the mains 230VAC plug/socket current.
The actual AC mains current drawn to supply 2 amps DC at 36 voltsDC would therefore be much smaller than 2 amps.
And even if it was the mains current, it is still well within the design limits of a modern 13 amp Plug and ring main wiring!
Assuming a correct installation of course.
Therefore I do not understand your worries areb in this case!
Please explain.
regards
Andy