Dangerous suspension seat post. Don't buy this!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This might help to detail the bolt specifications

View attachment 44438
A good table showing the various "strengths" of the products. As I mentioned before, IMHO one should pick versions that are in some way rust proof, as I am a person who keeps bikes for a great many years generally, and so I look for that, with good success up to now!
regards
Andy
PS. Beware of fake products from the FE, fairly recently, important aircraft fastenings, with fake certificates turned up around the world!!

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Those of you watching the recent European Track cycling may have noted the Nederlands sprinter Jeffrey Hoogland, who eventually won the gold medal, losing his saddle during one of the the qualifying heats. It's hard to believe that a world class organisation such as Nederlands Cycling would under specify their equipment and it may just be that the OP, like Hoogland were unlucky victims of the one in a million event.
btw one bolt or two is probably immaterial, if one of a pair of bolts breaks the clamp may well come off because of the assymetric resistance to the forces exerted by the cyclist's legs through his buttocks.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Those of you watching the recent European Track cycling may have noted the Nederlands sprinter Jeffrey Hoogland, who eventually won the gold medal, losing his saddle during one of the the qualifying heats. It's hard to believe that a world class organisation such as Nederlands Cycling would under specify their equipment and it may just be that the OP, like Hoogland were unlucky victims of the one in a million event.
btw one bolt or two is probably immaterial, if one of a pair of bolts breaks the clamp may well come off because of the assymetric resistance to the forces exerted by the cyclist's legs through his buttocks.
But the cross sectional area of two bolts, which is greater than one, must be better at resisting the tensile force caused by my weight acting on the rear of the saddle (which is as far back as it can go because of my height)?

Another depressing story for everyones deliberations from today. After cleaning the bike I decided after the saddle saga to give all the fastenings the once over. I was alarmed to see one of the disc rotor bolts had come loose. Considering these are supposed to be fixed with the aid of thread lock (at least they are when you come to replace it),
This might help to detail the bolt specifications

View attachment 44438
Just had a look at a couple seat post bolts. They are fixed with hex keys so are not normal hex headed bolts. Nor do they show any markings. THey seem to be of different design also. So what to do?!

one wonders whether this is yet another bad example of sub standard quality control by the manufacturer with potentially dangerous repercussions??

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
But the cross sectional area of two bolts, which is greater than one, must be better at resisting the tensile force caused by my weight acting on the rear of the saddle (which is as far back as it can go because of my height)?

Another depressing story for everyones deliberations from today. After cleaning the bike I decided after the saddle saga to give all the fastenings the once over. I was alarmed to see one of the disc rotor bolts had come loose. Considering these are supposed to be fixed with the aid of thread lock (at least they are when you come to replace it),

Just had a look at a couple seat post bolts. They are fixed with hex keys so are not normal hex headed bolts. Nor do they show any markings. THey seem to be of different design also. So what to do?!

one wonders whether this is yet another bad example of sub standard quality control by the manufacturer with potentially dangerous repercussions??

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Hi John,
All the saddles from Woosh are made by Selle Royal of Italy
The saddle bolt is made with stainless steel.
As others have pointed out, the danger is present when the saddle bolt is overtightened and the saddle is moved further back, like lever and fulcrum.
There are markings on the rails for safe settings. Best is to set the clamp in the middle of the adjustment range and tighten the bolt to around 10NM. Do not exceed 20NM in any case.

Brake disc rotor torque: 8NM
Those bolts are not load bearing.
Do not overtighten, the bolts go into aluminium, you'll strip the thread.
If you want to apply threadlock, lock them also to the rotor.

• :D
Reactions: guerney