Daytime front flashing light advice on types wanted

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Looking for advive for a modestly priced flashing front light. My current one has a quick flashing mode rather than the slower flashing strobe light type which seem to be popular

Anyone any views on the pros and cons on the different flashing modes?

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Looking for advive for a modestly priced flashing front light. My current one has a quick flashing mode rather than the slower flashing strobe light type which seem to be popular

I use Moon lights, which has a double day flash. Supposed to make it easier to be seen in the hours of daylight, plus lasts a very long time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a USB Lezyne 400xl 3 flash modes and two fixed modes.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK

The strobe type typically allows the designers (of a quality light) to pulse the LEDs at a much higher brightness than can normally be withstood. So they are a lot more visible to car drivers in daylight. A non regular pattern also has been shown to be more eye catching.

As with Nealh. I like Lezyne stuff.
One of my favourites is the Lezyne Zecto. A number of modes, but one in particular satisfies the superbright, non regular mode above.
Notes:
1. I use the zecto as a daytime light and as a backup (secondary) for a night light - its way too underpowered when on constant to allow you to see in the dark (although you can limp home with it if your main light runs out!)
2. beware! there are third party clones of this very distinctive, round, triple LED light available in a number of places. They may look identical in the pictures, but they are not the same! the batteries don't last a fraction as long, and the ones I've see also don't have the super bright 'overdrive' flash modes. So pay the extra and get the genuine ones (I've got a number of front and back Zecto units here and they have to be 4 or 5 years old now and are still going strong despite almost daily use!)