Dazed and Confused, Brighton..

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
Hi,
I'd appreciate a bit of advice about my first ebike. I've sold my car and am walking to and from work, about 2 miles each way, uphill all the way home, a gradual hill with the odd steep bit, but a tiring trek at 12.30 am after 9hrs on my feet. My budget is about £850 (the car sale didn't even cover that!), and I like the step through Dutch style. I love the Woosh Crusa but the lovely lady there, Hatti, didn't think it would be great on the hilly bits. That's the sign of a good company when they'd rather be honest than make an easy sale. I also like the Kudos Milano and Safari, that vintage style. What would you recommend for a bit of oomph up hills? I'm happy to pedal but not really, really hard as Hatti suggested I'd have to!
Any suggestions would be appreciated by me and my feet! (By the way I'm 53, 73kg and 5ft 5 if any of that is relevant?)
Mandy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How hilly is the steepest in gradient , % wise 5,10 15 or 17% or fraction wise 1:10 , 1:8 or 1:5.
If 10% or 1:10 then a hub bike will deal with that with a decent make hub.
The Kudos Safari is an older style bike, it is quite heavy but this is partly due to the fact it has the old power house of a Lifepo4 battery and hub gears with roller brake that adds weight, the front hub is a good Bafang hub and is good for a 10 %gradient. The lifepo4 has mostly been replaced by the lighter Li- on chemistry, lifepo4 is old tried and tested it has better life cycle if cared for and can outlast a lion battery.
For your price limit you probably won't find a better bike then the Safari at £695 it has to be a bargain for ebike though. I do know parts of Brighton/Hove and surrounding areas are very hilly and steep in places but have yet not failed to cycle up any with my hub bike.

The choice between that and the Milano is on price and looks.
Safari bullet proof powerful lifepo4 battery, hub gears can change gear when at standstill & no derailleur to go wrong or adjust. Larger fatty tyres for a bit more ride comfort. Slight con is front hub may be a bit slippy on loose surfaces or very steep wet ones and the roller brake on long decents but that said the front brake does 70/80% of brake properly and get used to i's optimum baking point.

Milano slightly lighter li-on battery, rear hub better traction with derailleur gears. Nicer pretty female bike retro look and colours.

Safari has higher spec components.
Test ride both if you can.

Last edited:

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
How hilly is the steepest in gradient , % wise 5,10 15 or 17% or fraction wise 1:10 , 1:8 or 1:5.
The Kudos Safari is an older style bike, it is quite heavy but this is partly due to the fact it has the old power house of a Lifepo4 battery and hub gears, the front hub is a good Bafang hub and is good for a 10 %gradient. The lifepo4 has mostly been replaced by the lighter Li- on chemistry, lifepo4 is old tried and tested it has better life cycle if cared for and can outlast a lion battery.
For your price limit you probably won't find a better bike then the Safari.
The Kudos Safari is an older style bike, it is quite heavy but this is partly due to the fact it has the old power house of a Lifepo4 battery and hub gears, the front hub is a good Bafang hub and is good for a 10 %gradient. The lifepo4 has mostly been replaced by the lighter Li- on chemistry, lifepo4 is old tried and tested it has better life cycle if cared for and can outlast a lion battery.
Thanks but a bit pricey for me and not very vintagey!

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any steep hill with a legal 250w ebike will require a lot of input/peddling that is why you have low gears to make life a bit easier though you won't be romping up them much over 5- 8 mph unless you are an athlete.

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
Any steep hill with a legal 250w ebike will require a lot of input/peddling that is why you have low gears to make life a bit easier though you won't be romping up them much over 5- 8 mph unless you are an athlete.
I'm certainly not an athlete! a slow upwards meander would do me, I'd just rather not have to get off and push!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I lived a couple of years in Hove/Brighton and aware of some killer hills, such as The Drove (in Hove) and Richmond Street (Brighton). They are not very long, just very steep, about 25m-30m elevation but 1 in 5 (the steepest portion is 1:4) and even cars on the first gear have trouble climbing up in the summer and I never drove down them in the winter.

@75kgs rider's weight, the Crusa can climb up to about 12% on throttle, 14%-15% on pedal assist. To climb those 20% hills, she would need the crank drive Santana 2018 in the lowest gear. With the Crusa, she would get up to about half way then get off and push or take a detour, longer route and not so steep.
Power-wise, the Crusa, Milano and the Safari will do about the same. The Crusa has 13AH battery, Milano 11.6AH and Safari 10AH.

Last edited:

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
I lived a couple of years in Hove/Brighton and aware of some killer hills, such as Richmond Street. They are not very long, just very steep, about 25m-30m elevation but 1 in 5 (the steepest portion is 1:4) and even cars on the first gear have trouble climbing up in the summer and I never drove down them in the winter.

@75kgs rider's weight, the Crusa can climb up to about 12% on throttle, 14%-15% on pedal assist. To climb those 20% hills, she would need the crank drive Santana 2018 in the lowest gear. With the Crusa, she would get up to about half way then get off and push or take a detour, longer route and not so steep.
Power-wise, the Crusa, Milano and the Safari will do about the same. The Crusa has 13AH battery, Milano 11.6AH and Safari 10AH.
Thanks for your reply, yes, the hills in Brighton are notorious but I plan to ride as I walk them, kind of approaching them from the side so the steep bits would be very short. If you know Brighton, going from the Old Steine to the law courts, past Amex and sideways up to Hanover! I'm not ruling out the Crusa yet at all as it is my favourite so far. By the way I lived in Southend too, so I guess we swapped!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With local knowledge the steepest most can be somewhat avoided even if it means going a slightly different not so steep route. When I visited Darren at B.E.B, I seem to remember that I climbed a steep bendy incline, heading from the Preston Park area after the Sainsbury's Local and turning right into the road by the BP (I think) petrol station with my hub bike. I seem to remember it was that steep 5.5mph was my climbing speed.

From the sea front the climb up thru Ovingdean to other side of Woodingdean towards Falmer is about 2.25miles and is a reasonable climb /drag not over steep but a couple slogs (to me) with with my asthma, no way can I do it on a non assist bike and if did probably I would need an ambulance after. From Woodingdean I venture on the the Downs to go North to Ditchling B.

With lowest gear and highest assist a good battery will get you there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
With local knowledge the steepest most can be somewhat avoided even if it means going a slightly different not so steep route. When I visited Darren at B.E.B, I seem to remember that I climbed a steep bendy incline, heading from the Preston Park area after the Sainsbury's Local and turning right into the road by the BP (I think) petrol station with my hub bike. I seem to remember it was that steep 5.5mph was my climbing speed.
Yes I know where you mean, under the bridge and a sharp left turn up a hill. That is a really steep hill. Miller's road I think. I naturally avoid the hills if possible walking so I wouldn't be completely unrealistic in expecting to conquer Muesli Mountain where I live!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes I know where you mean, under the bridge and a sharp left turn up a hill. That is a really steep hill. Miller's road I think. I naturally avoid the hills if possible walking so I wouldn't be completely unrealistic in expecting to conquer Muesli Mountain where I live!
Yes you have it in one, see local knowledge you know the location names.
If the steep hills aren't too long then they are doable.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Spidercat,

Although Freego have gone bust, the mechanicals and electrics on their bikes are pretty standard. Replacement batteries can be obtained from Jimmy at Insat/BGA Reworking:
www.bga-reworking.co.uk

Here is a brand new Freego Hawk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREEGO-HAWK-ELECTRIC-BIKE-STEPTHROUGH-AND-CROSSBAR-10ah-BATTERY/254125194974?hash=item3b2b0abede:g:SE4AAOSwOkxbtyop:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Here is a barely used Freego Hawk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/freego-electric-bike/292957207779?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=56492&meid=41ee138374424c76a8452a4a5b966782&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=132939559104&itm=292957207779&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

More here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=freego+electric&_sop=16

This Oxygen MTB (with 13ah battery) will never make £1100 and it will probably struggle to make £800:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXYGEN-S-CROSS-MTB-ELECTRIC-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-RRP-1499-99-THUMB-THROTTLE-13ah-Batt/132939559104?hash=item1ef3d0b0c0:g:CoEAAOSwIbpcVciZ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I can vouch for the quality of both Freego and Oxygen machines having owned both.
Both hub drive machines climb well. Note that the Oxygen MTB has hydraulic brakes, which is confidence-inspiring going down a steep hill.
The 13ah battery is preferable to the 10ah, but then again you are only doing a very short trip.

The battery condition is very important on any used ebike.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
About 1 in 15 but not all the way. More a long gradual incline.
A 7% gradient shouldn't really be an issue for any e-bike to be honest.
Especially as you are relatively light by ebike user standards and won't need to pack much kit for a 2 mile commute.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Although Freego have gone bust, the mechanicals and electrics on their bikes are pretty standard.
The controller and LED display can both be replaced if need be with generic Chinese items fairly easily with a few connector changes for arround £40, so no need for owners to panic.

Spidercat

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2019
Thank you for all your advice, I've got lots to ponder. So given that battery size isn't a massive factor as I won't be doing really long distances, what makes the nippiest motor? They all seem pretty similar to me, although the Santana is a chain drive. Is that what I should be looking out for or are there other things I should be taking into consideration? Sorry, I know you must have heard all this a million times before but I can't afford to make a really expensive mistake because I like the colour!
Thanks,
Mandy