Deafening Silence

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Hi All,

Not have been able to make it to Presteigne myself (2 kids and a wife who works weekends) I have been checking the forum over the weekend expecting to see loads of postings about people's experiences trying out different bikes - particularly Pro Connects. Did anyone actually go? :)

I would love to read about your impressions of the bikes. Please feed my hunger for news.

Chris

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hi All,

Not have been able to make it to Presteigne myself (2 kids and a wife who works weekends) I have been checking the forum over the weekend expecting to see loads of postings about people's experiences trying out different bikes - particularly Pro Connects. Did anyone actually go? :)

I would love to read about your impressions of the bikes. Please feed my hunger for news.

Chris
ditto Larkspur. I guess most folks are still in a hot radox bath recovering from the rally if Haku's post was anything to go by.

Regards
Paul

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I managed to get there rather late on Sunday (after 2PM). I had just enough time to pick up my new bike from Dave and Doug @ Wisper, then run down to watch the race.

The race was good - some folk going nice and sedately and some mad lycra clad b@##$%s on Kalkhofs going like the absolute clappers. A few quite odd looking machines. Very hard to tell who was winning, but good fun anyway.

After a bit of post-race tea and cake we wandered back to look at some bikes, but everything seemed to be winding down big time by then.

Sorry to disappoint but I ended up not try out anything (oops!).

Still, I've got my Wisper 905SE now, and although I've been sorely tempting by the glowing Kalkhof reports on this forum, perhaps its best I don't know what I'm missing - that way I can remain in happy ignorant bliss with my Wisper :).

Regards,

Elephants

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
@Elephants

I was there for the whole weekend and tried lots of bikes over and over. I wasnt as impressed as I expected to be honest by the new Panasonic motors on the Kalkhoffs and the Gazelles, although the quality of those bikes did impress me, especially the Gazelles (they are like rolls-royces). Neither of these would suit me as their frame designs seemed to be too much like the 'sit up and beg' position that I have altered my Twist to avoid.

I think you have made an excellent choice of bike, and I may well be ordering one as well soon (either this or the Trek-Nano), I personally prefer the 905 eco though, and then I will add my own extras I think.

John

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Hi All,

Chris
We had an enjoyable day trying out lots of the bikes including taking some of them to the local hill to test their hill climbing ability. As Lafree owners our favourite by far was the Kalkoff which was smooth and climbed the hill easily in 4th, I can see now why owners are changing the rear sprocket.

The Gitane was interesting with its automatic gearchange but refused to change down on the way up the hill until we had to stop, when it selected 1st gear and we could pull away again. However there was a torque adjustment for the gearbox so it may have needed adjusting for my riding ability. It also didn't seem to be of quite the same quality as the Kalkoff but I think it is cheaper.

The "waterbottle" bike was great to ride but the fact you had to be doing 5 miles an hour before you switched on the motor would be quite limiting on a steep hill. It was also a bit weird the way it would keep accelerating all on its own without you touching anything. But nice to see such an innovative idea.

The Wispers felt powerful and quality but on the flat road it was difficult to say how it would perform and we didn't get to take one to the hill. We also tried a re-badged Powacycle Windsor which someone described as being like "riding a sofa", it really was so comfortable to ride and strangely on the flat in pedelec mode felt very fast, certainly a good fun entry level bike.

We have a few pics and a video (of the traffic cone incident) which we will post when we get home but I'm currently typing this on the M5 (I'm not driving I hasten to add), using our new broadband modem dongle which is performing brilliantly - another subject altogether!

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The Wispers felt powerful and quality but on the flat road it was difficult to say how it would perform and we didn't get to take one to the hill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

does this mean you didnt get to ride a wisper at at all ?...i wish i could have a ride on one of the new ones.....:cool:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
The Wispers felt powerful and quality but on the flat road it was difficult to say how it would perform and we didn't get to take one to the hill.
I took my new Wisper 905SE 16 miles to work today up and down hills in Herefordshire, the worst being around 1 in 7 I think (thats what the sign on it says, but the other bad hills aren't signed!!).

I have to say that I had to get off and walk on the 1 in 7, but then my two bottoms gears were missing due to a loose gear cable.

A bit of lunch time spanner work has got the two low gears engaging now, so I'm hoping for a better result on the way home (if the battery holds up!).

It was a great ride (although my legs hurt now), felt pretty fast where fast was possible. 1hr 15mins to do 16 miles, and I don't think theres more than about 3 miles in total you could call "flat" on the way.

Regards,

Elephants

Last edited:

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
You think the easy glider is like a rolls royce.......wait till you see the Innergy.;)

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall

does this mean you didnt get to ride a wisper at at all ?...i wish i could have a ride on one of the new ones.....:cool:
Yes we did try the 905SE and it felt great but we tried it it in the morning before we found out about the "hill" and a 50 yards each way flat ride just isn't enough to appreciate what the bike could really do.

We didn't get to try the Gazelle which I wish we had now, but it is surprising how much time it takes to try out all the bikes, especially when you have to wait for them to be available and with the rally being earlier it didn't leave a lot of time between 11am and 2.30pm, the time just flew by!

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I've posted on our blog about the race.

In the rush to get that down, I forgot to say what a good experience the expo end of things was. Good to meet Doug and David again, Duncan from electric cycle shop, dozens of new faces, a few familiar ones from past shows and even to say hello to Mr Ching of eZee again.
Tim

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
and even to say hello to Mr Ching of eZee again.
Tim[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

was this the mr ching of eZee who i read owes you £150000 ?...:cool: suppose its water under the bridge :rolleyes: and glad you Torq'ed to him and didn't Forza him to hand over his wallet

Last edited:

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
was this the mr ching of eZee who i read owes you £150000 ?...:cool: suppose its water under the bridge :rolleyes: and glad you Torq'ed to him and didn't Forza him to hand over his wallet
Genius Keith. You always make me laugh mate.

Paul

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
and even to say hello to Mr Ching of eZee again.
Tim

was this the mr ching of eZee who i read owes you £150000 ?...:cool: suppose its water under the bridge :rolleyes: and glad you Torq'ed to him and didn't Forza him to hand over his wallet[/QUOTE]

Good one Keith.
I suppose it wasn't that ezee to get him to hand it over to them.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007

Good one Keith.
I suppose it wasn't that ezee to get him to hand it over to them.[/QUOTE]

you right there as he must have been in a Quando,ry what to do,whether to Sprint over to him and Connect Pro like or wait till week 51...incidently i think thats the hanger where the bikes are hidden.:rolleyes:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Good one Keith.
I suppose it wasn't that ezee to get him to hand it over to them.

you right there as he must have been in a Quando,ry what to do,whether to Sprint over to him and Connect Pro like or wait till week 51...incidently i think thats the hanger where the bikes are hidden.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You're too good or too bad (whatever).
Im not worthy, im not worthy.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield

nope to drinking..been smoking some "Concern Pot" though..........
(annagram)
Your too quick for me Keith Tonight.
For all i know the anagram is Pro Connect.:D ;) :cool:
I dont know.
Too tired and gonna bed.