Decathlon ebike

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
After a bit of phoning and eventually getting to talk to the right man my local decathlon DOES have demo
bike.

Even better I can borrow it for "a couple of hours" tommorrow (Monday).

I will report back, but since I don't know a lot and have only ridden one other I suppose it will simply be
a personal view. Still, they are local and the price isn't bad and it's step thru. So I might get my flexible friend out if it rides OK. We don't do mega mileage so they should fit the bill.

More later.......

geoff

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Well, we went and had a test ride on the Decathlon bike, up and down the local hill and round the car park.

Pros:- fast and good acceleration, comfortable (for me) and quiet, and a good price.
Cons:- Only available in white, it is ugly, the welding is probably strong but not at all neat, it has a slightly agricultural look, the cables etc are untidy and worst of all the frame is "one size fits all", and was too tall by 2" for my 5' 3" wife, and the adjustment was fully down. Strange as I don't recall that the French are particularly tall.

So that one is ruled out for us.

Also had a look at the IZIP Aspen at another shop, nice bike but the motor is outboard and felt sluggish compared to the Decathlon bike, worst of all it has a Lead acid battery! How can the country that put a man on the moon be so far behind the times? It also weighs a ton, with or without the battery.

So back to the drawing board for us.

Geoff

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have just been into Decathlon to buy some new running shorts and happened across one of these bikes. I can only compare it against my Pro Connect, so very quickly, I can say:

1: It costs less than a Pro Connect.

2: It feels lighter than a Pro Connect.

3: The bike is violently ugly.

4: It sports some of the finest pigeon **** welding I have seen.

5: It nips along quite well on the flat and up a very gentle hill.

6: The brake components are made from cheese.

7: The chain guard is in fact a tupperware box with a hole cut in it.

8: The gears change nicely and it is a very smooth ride.

9: In low mode, the 250 Watt motor produces absolutely no power whatsoever.

It doesn't feel like it is up to the rigours of regular commuting, but if I were looking for a leisure bike and only had a limited budget, it might be worth a look at.

I see there is another one on their website now with a Nexus 7 Speed hub gear and a front motor. It might be a better option for commuting / more demanding use.

Elops 7 Electric

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Own several other bikes. Only a 2 mile trek to the station and lock the bike at the station in covered parking. But the return journey is all up hill (about 200m up in those 2 miles).
Anyway always a struggle, so bought one of these back in May, still going strong and hasn't been nicked yet. The battery can be locked in place or removed, can only be operated with a key which is put into the battery.

The bike as others suggested is a bit cheaply made and not very pretty. So perfect for my needs to try and ensure it doesn't go missing!
It's pedal assisted with 3 different settings. I use "eco" (least assist) going to the station and "sport" (most assist) coming back, and overtake all those people of their £1000+ looking road bikes whilst in my shirt and trousers and not an ounce of sweat :)
Anyway for the £500 price, I'm very impressed with it and does exactly what I need it to do and I give it 5 out of 5.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Own several other bikes. Only a 2 mile trek to the station and lock the bike at the station in covered parking. But the return journey is all up hill (about 200m up in those 2 miles).
Anyway always a struggle, so bought one of these back in May, still going strong and hasn't been nicked yet. The battery can be locked in place or removed, can only be operated with a key which is put into the battery.

The bike as others suggested is a bit cheaply made and not very pretty. So perfect for my needs to try and ensure it doesn't go missing!
It's pedal assisted with 3 different settings. I use "eco" (least assist) going to the station and "sport" (most assist) coming back, and overtake all those people of their £1000+ looking road bikes whilst in my shirt and trousers and not an ounce of sweat :)
Anyway for the £500 price, I'm very impressed with it and does exactly what I need it to do and I give it 5 out of 5.

Nice to see an honest appraisal :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Nice to see an honest appraisal :)
Yes, I agree with that Ed. One of the problems with a forum like this is that, usually, people do tend to be very subjective in their opinion of an electric bike, talking up the bike they bought.

There is a small number of members whose opinions I respect as they have actually owned a variety of different makes and can therefore discuss ebikes with greater objectivity than some others.

Not all ebikes are equal but price is a massive factor for most people I would suggest and it's always refreshing when somebody tells it like it is with a purchase

Regards,
Indalo

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011

Update:

Almost one year on and this bike is still going strong. Get the odd creeking noise from some part of the frame or other when in use, but nothing which worries me too much.
Has built-in front and rear lights which are powered by the battery and controlled using the main on/off/speed control pad.
Over the last year I've used it on and off, though hardly at all during the winter. Absolutely no regrets getting it especially at that priced, has saved me more than the £500 it costs in car parking costs!

However, unfortunately I don't think Decathlon sell them anymore!

Might start looking for another bike though at around the same price range (up to around £600), something which will bring two improvements:-
1> An 'off-road' feature which will let me go a bit faster say up to 18-20mph - off-road of course ;).
2> In addition to pedal assist, a throttle mode, which allow me to travel without even having to pedal. (Yes I'm lazy!)

I've seen this which may fit the bill (Pro-Rider - never heard of nor seen one before!). Does anyone have any ideas?

NEW ELECTRIC BIKE BICYCLE E-BIKE 48KM RANGE SUSPENSION | eBay