Decathlon Riverside 500 e price increase

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
I've just noticed the Riverside 500 is now £1299 when I bought it last year it was £999 massive increase! I wonder the reasoning behind it...

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Supply & demand, even before the January 1st problems the prices of bikes / e-bikes had jumped a lot due to lockdown demand. Since Jan 1st add import taxes / customs charges etc...

Reactions: gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Profiteering using brexit as an excuse.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They can't make enough to satisfy the demand. Of course they'd put up the price. Wouldn't you? they're a business, not a charity.

I was watching Silver Brittania coins from Bullion by Post. They were selling them two weeks ago for £29. Last week, due to misinformation after the Game Stop incident, there was massive demand for them and everybody sold out. BBP still has some. The price is now £48, though the price of silver has hardly changed. When the new batches are stamped and there is plenty of supply, the cost will go down to £29 again.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It's all about supply and demand. the bike I bought last year is now nearly £400 more.
If you don't like the price don't buy it.:)

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
They can't make enough to satisfy the demand. Of course they'd put up the price. Wouldn't you? they're a business, not a charity.

I was watching Silver Brittania coins from Bullion by Post. They were selling them two weeks ago for £29. Last week, due to misinformation after the Game Stop incident, there was massive demand for them and everybody sold out. BBP still has some. The price is now £48, though the price of silver has hardly changed. When the new batches are stamped and there is plenty of supply, the cost will go down to £29 again.
or the news spreading of the world reset?

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
As well as brexit and high demand, the price of shipping has gone up dramatically due to covid. Decathlon are usually very competitive on price, I don't think price-gouging is their normal business model.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Decathlon ebikes are manufactured in, and imported to the UK directly from, China so Brexit is not a factor (their non ebiles are assembled in Lille, France).

Demand is at a record high for recent decades, and manufacturing is at a record low for recent decades. It's not difficult to make the connection.

Not only that, but production of everything from the raw materials right through to the finished components required to build the bikes is also down, which pushes up parts prices before anyone even thinks about bolting them together to make a bike.

International freight prices are also on the up for various reasons, which won't have helped matters.

And while I dont think they're profiteering, they are in business to make money and doubtless the British division, which operates independently, will set their prices accordingly. In addition, bsuiness rents, rates and taxes makes the UK one of the most expensive countries in the World to be a retailer. As such you cant really compare to how much the same model costs in Timbuktu and come to any valid conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

MB55

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2020
The E-ST 520 I bought last July was £1399 - now £1699 - over 20% increase. These bikes come into Portugal from The far East to be assembled. The price in France is also up over 20%, so it isn't Brexshit - just demand. I didn't understand how they could build such a reasonable bike so cheap previous to the increase to be honest.

MB55

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2020