Decathlon rockrider E-st900 still good in 2022?

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
I’m debating on rockrider e-st900 or going for a giant fathom e+ 3 (2021) which is basically the same price.

Last edited:

gramorganic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2021
e-bike technology advancing all the time, it was inexorable that some of the farther high-tech sorcery would start trickling down to the cheaper end of the scale. Having looked at the new RockriderE-ST 900 electric mountain bike from Decathlon, that trickle is over like a overflow! In this review I'll see if this great newE-MTB is too good to be true.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I would definitely look at the reviews on the Decathlon site especially the reviews that were written after a longer time of ownership. There are many reviews of failing bikes. One report of the chain wearing out after 300 miles which initially Decathlon would not replace under warranty. Also Brose motors have a history of destroying themselves and needing replacement and I think Specialized upped the warranty from 2 to 4 years because of the high failure rate but not sure what the Decathlon warranty is.

Also in the spec they make the case the motor is quiet because it has an internal belt but Bosch moved away from that for the mid-drive motors because of a high failure rate so now Bosch motors are much noiser than they used to be but from what I've read reliability has improved on the newer Bosch motors.

As ever remember these are highly proprietary motors so while the Decathlon bike may have a lower entry price ongoing replacement parts and service will be much, much more expensive and restrictive.

Not sure if the bike has a cut-off sensor for gear changes if not drivetrain wear will be more excessive than mid-drive motors fitted with a gear change sensor. I'm thinking if you can wear out a chain in 300 miles then it hasn't as even by mid-drive motor standards that is very low.

Shimano and KMC and possibly other Chain manufacturers are now offering stronger duty chains optimised for mid-drive motors its possible the chain that comes stock is just not up to the task.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I bought Giant Fathom E2 and love it. Didn't think it would be better than Haibike Hards even its replacing but it is. Out climbs it easy (even tho it's essentially same motor). The software gives less help at lower cadence but supports higher cadence much better. (my average has gone up around 10 rpm and I often see cadences over 110,which I never did on Haibike. Had yam motor rebuilt at performance line bearings and keeping Haibike as spare. Giant is faster, rolls better (29inch versus 27.5) and if pushing on I, d take it over Haibike everytime. For a gentle ride Haibike is fine. Fairly convinced tho the better climbing comes at a cost, on equal batteries Haibike would go further. Always used Haibike in highest now using Giant in next to highest and I still climb faster on it.
I looked at Decathlon and Halfords... Stuck with James Cycles in Rotherham. The Giant is incredible at its price. Superb in fact. (yam motor needed rebuild after 6000 hard miles, they can do same with Giant even if its not labelled as a Yam, because it still is) Checked before buying. At price I don't think there is a better bike available than Giant e fathoms.