Decisions decisions...

Q2DM1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2018
Leeds
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of guidance as to which bike might best suit my needs. Here's my particulars:

5'8"
49 yrs
11½ stone in old money
Quite fit, cycle around 50 miles on a nice day out on my push bike, but generally about 20-30 on an average outing. Commute to work on a daily 6 mile round trip. So don't mind doing a bit of pedaling.
Live in Leeds, which isn't too hilly but like to venture further afield to the hilly parts of Yorkshire, so reasonable performance on the hills would be handy, but bearing in mind that I don't mind doing a bit of pedaling to get up the hills.

I'm looking at getting an ebike mainly because I'm getting to the point where I'm not obsessed with the fitness side of things and rather fancy the fun of being out and about exploring the countryside but not having to worry about working too hard but being able to put in as much or as little as I feel like on the day.

Ideally I'd like a minimum range of 50 miles with a moderate amount of me assisting. Not too bothered about any serious off-roading but do enjoy gravel tracks and canal rides. I'd probably sway more towards a hybrid with a crossbar or conventional looking MTB. Not interested in the fat tyre types or dutch style.

Budget is probably somewhere up to £1500. Something not too heavy that would be ok to ride without the battery would be a bonus, as I can imagine I'd be quite prone to a bit of range anxiety..

Been looking at the Woosh range and quite like the Karoo and Rio models. They look like a good spec for the money. Are there any other makes / models that might be suitable for my needs that would be within my budget?

D

Deleted member 4366

Oxygen S-Cross MTB is a mighty fine bike. If you can get to SYEBC, you should be able to get a good deal on one there because they're the importer as well as a retailer, otherwise you can get one from Ebikesdirect.

You can find various reviews on this forum.

Reactions: Q2DM1

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You sound like a good candidate for a torque sensor type system. These can be found in many bikes, mostly within centre drive motors and increasingly with hub driven bikes.
A torque sensor will allow you to contribute your effort, which from what you say, appears to be what you like to do.
Taking some test rides is the only way to choose. But definitely try a bike with a torque sensor.

Reactions: Q2DM1

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Of factory middrives Shimano STEPS or Bosch new ActiveLine Plus, these are direct drive motors so no resistance when pedalling unassisted. Hybrids running 700c tyres most in 38-45 width range, will give good compromise between comfort and low rolling resistance. These bike typically have 50-63mm shocks enough for bridle, canal paths and light offroad. MTB hardtails will give more offroad options but with more aggressive riding position and higher rolling resistance tyres.

Value for money Cube are normally hard to beat, good place to start.

Given how fit you are 50miles over mixed terrain should be possible on 400wh battery. 500wh upgrade is always better but it will cost £100-200 more.
A 1hour charge while having lunch at pub or cafe is easy way to extend your range. NB Bosch have 4A and 2A chargers, you will need 4A if doing pub topup, unfortunately 2A seems more standard charger. Shimano comes standard with 4A, good for 160wh over an hour.

Forum advice is no substitute for test rides, you need to try lots different bike styles and drive systems.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus and Q2DM1

Q2DM1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2018
Leeds
Thanks guys, very helpful :) I'll have a look at the various options and maybe try to arrange a few test rides.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Of factory middrives Shimano STEPS or Bosch new ActiveLine Plus, these are direct drive motors so no resistance when pedalling unassisted. Hybrids running 700c tyres most in 38-45 width range, will give good compromise between comfort and low rolling resistance. These bike typically have 50-63mm shocks enough for bridle, canal paths and light offroad. MTB hardtails will give more offroad options but with more aggressive riding position and higher rolling resistance tyres.

Value for money Cube are normally hard to beat, good place to start.

Given how fit you are 50miles over mixed terrain should be possible on 400wh battery. 500wh upgrade is always better but it will cost £100-200 more.
A 1hour charge while having lunch at pub or cafe is easy way to extend your range. NB Bosch have 4A and 2A chargers, you will need 4A if doing pub topup, unfortunately 2A seems more standard charger. Shimano comes standard with 4A, good for 160wh over an hour.

Forum advice is no substitute for test rides, you need to try lots different bike styles and drive systems.
Informative. I've found my hybrid running 700c tyres most in 38-45 width range a serious mistake for handling on less than ideal terrain compared to a 26" mountain bike set up. Just makes for an uncomfortable ride and sometimes too difficult on bridleways uphill and downhill especially.

PS: same size body but older