definative answer on battery care?!

neilhapgood

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
Hi all,

after browsing the web there seems to be different opinions on the best way to prolong the life of your battery.

The two main schools of thought are to either keep it between about 40% & 80% or ensure you always charge to full to 'top off' the batteries.

I commute about 16 miles per day on a TSDZ2 using levels 3 and 4, any thoughts on whether I should give a couple of hours charging each day or a full 8 hour charge every 4 or so days?

Many thanks

Neil

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only way you can charge an ebike battery to less than 100% is if the battery has a special BMS that doesn't use top balancing. I don't know of any OEM bikes that have that in their batteries, though you can buy the BMSs and build your own battery with one. They allow balancing from your smartphone or other bluetooth device.

Th bleed resistors only trickle the charge for balancing, and the balancing system is based on a little an often, so don't think you can just do a balance charge every 20 charges or so. Without balancing, the cells will most likely drift out of balance, which will reduce the capacity substantially.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 16 miles if it is of large capacity every other use, other wise daily if it is a 10ah or less.
Generally I leave batteries in a discharged state down to about 50% then charge several hours before I need the bike a again.
If I am only doing short journeys <5 miles during the course of the week I only charge once a week.