Deregulating a SRAM Sparc

Pinhead

Just Joined
Mar 5, 2009
I guess it's probably frowned upon but I wondered if there's an easy way to deregulate my SRAM Sparc motor. I'd rather have extra power than extra mileage. I use it on a long wheelbase (Extracycle) heavy load conversion and would love to get a bit of extra oomph from it in acceleration and on steep climbs. Any ideas?

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Some time ago I used Dahon folders with the Sram Sparc system and NiMh batteries, and never discovered any way of destricting the electrics. However, if you switch to Lithium Polymer cells (the 18.5 volt Lipo pack from batteryspace.com fits inside the battery box) you will find the performance becomes much livelier. This however is now a very expensive solution.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think it would easily be possible with the motors used, but even if it was, it would more likely result in a little extra speed rather than the extra power that you want. The Sparc system is intrinsically low powered.

There's an approach that would reduce it's speed on power by 8% but increase it's acceleration and hill climb ability by the same amount, and it's one that would suit the Xtracycle.

To do this you'd need to rebuild, or have rebuilt, the Sparc unit into a 24" rim. This would drop the rear at the wheel contact point by 1", but only by about 1/2" at the bottom bracket, so perfectly usable.