Desperately seeking help before I make a massive mistake.

Pilot999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
73 years young, dodgy knee, 17.5 stone and not very fit. So… that’s the good news.
Looking to purchase a mtb “type “ of electric bike. ( I like the look of them ) . I have a measly budget of up to £2000 so I guess I am looking at pre owned.
Would like full suspension but would be ok with a hard tail and seat suspension. I will be mainly on rough roads and unmade roads.
So, reliability is important, so what motor. I have looked at Trek, Haibike Giant etc and all that happens is I become more confused.
Any help, advise, recommendations or a good therapist would be most welcome.
Thank you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With bad knee's, the last you need is a Torque multiplier system so look at a geared hub bike.
Why a mtb they are so yesterday, ok if you are a off roader but tbh don't see the appeal of them if only used for the road or a light trail.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
None of those bikes are suitable for someone with a dodgy knee, 17.5 St and not very fit. They'd be better than an unassisted bike, but there are better options. Another point is that if anything goes wrong with them, you're tied to the dealer for fixing them, which can be inconvenient and expensive. If you have basic DIY skills and want to do your own servicing, look below, otherwise go to you local dealer and choose the one you like the most.

There are loads of suitable Chinese offerings. Look for one with a 48v electrical system. You can find them on Ebay and Amazon.

Have a look at this one:

Or these:

Pilot999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
Thank you so much for your prompt replies. The Crusher looks good but, would appear to have a 750w motor. In my ignorance, I thought we were limited to 250w.
Are fat tyre bikes the way forward?
Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi.
73 years young, dodgy knee, 17.5 stone and not very fit. So… that’s the good news.
Looking to purchase a mtb “type “ of electric bike. ( I like the look of them ) . I have a measly budget of up to £2000 so I guess I am looking at pre owned.
Would like full suspension but would be ok with a hard tail and seat suspension. I will be mainly on rough roads and unmade roads.
So, reliability is important, so what motor. I have looked at Trek, Haibike Giant etc and all that happens is I become more confused.
Any help, advise, recommendations or a good therapist would be most welcome.
Thank you
Please take a look at the Woosh Gran-Camino.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino
The Gran-Camino has big tyres, good suspension fork with 100mm travel, very trong motor and is very comfortable to ride long distance.
It has a cadence sensor, so you don't need to pedal hard to climb hills, perfect if your knees get painful. It also has a throttle.