Did not have the heart to tell him

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
I've now moved my controller etc to the tank bag from my motorbike that sits on the rack. If I had a rear motor I don't think anyone would ever know.
Is it possible to fit a rear motor into your Marine Kentfield FS? I've marked both your model and the San Rafael as candidates for the conversion. So can it be done?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yes you can. I.ve brought a higher powered 350 watt for the rear which i'll collect and fit saturday.

The bikes good for a simple commuter and you can fit with disk brakes which would be better.
Only grip is that the front suspension could be better but least is cromoly so quite strong for a front motor. Although suspension could be better dampened.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Whenever someone suggests I'm cheating i ask them if my Kalkhoff is in anyway disguised as an ordinary bike? and then ask them if they use an escalator or stairs, or if they use an electric mower or push-along, they soon get the point.
Things that make life easier are a benefit :D

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
Yes you can. I.ve brought a higher powered 350 watt for the rear which i'll collect and fit saturday.

The bikes good for a simple commuter and you can fit with disk brakes which would be better.
Only grip is that the front suspension could be better but least is cromoly so quite strong for a front motor. Although suspension could be better dampened.
Thanks for your reply. I am completely with you on your decision to use the rear hub, since it makes things less visible. Disk brakes also help a lot here. Too bad this BPM-baby is still bigger than than 160 disk brakes.

I still can't decide if I should go with the BPM or with the 350W kit from E-bikekit.com, which has smaller diameter, black and fitted into a nice wheel. Their motor is with Hall sensors if this matters. This will cast approximately £360 (including SLA battery + charger) before shipping and taxes plus it comes with 2 year warranty.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Indeed the decision is yours. But most people would say to avoid sla due to the weight!

D

Deleted member 4366

Today, I was cycling up a very long steep cycle path alongside a main road, when I spied a youngish cyclist on a MTB about 100yds ahead. I thought it would be a good chance to show off my electric bike, so I started pedalling harder and changed down to give max assist and started to catch him up rapidly. Unfortunately, just before I caught up he looked over his shoulder, saw me and started to race. It was no contest as I pedalled busily past him and said, "You'll have to pedal a bit harder than that", and to be fair to him, he was really moving considering the steepness of the hill. So, after pulling out a lead of about 50m, I thought that it would be only fair to let him in on the secret, so I slowed down a bit to let him catch up, I was smiling as he came alongside and just as I was about to show that I could go just as fast without pedalling, he said, "Huh!, not going so fast now are you?" Presumably he thought I was tired. So, rather than let him in on the secret, I asked him how fast he wanted to go and gradually opened the throttle to full to give it the full 28 amps at 48v. I smiled and said "Bye" as I accellerated away pedalling as fast as I could with my new 53 tooth chainwheel. I wish I could have seen his face. Was I a bit mean to him? Am I a big kid? Was that a bit irresponsible?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
He probably deserved it d8veh!

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Today, I was cycling up a very long steep cycle path alongside a main road, when I spied a youngish cyclist on a MTB about 100yds ahead. I thought it would be a good chance to show off my electric bike, so I started pedalling harder and changed down to give max assist and started to catch him up rapidly. Unfortunately, just before I caught up he looked over his shoulder, saw me and started to race. It was no contest as I pedalled busily past him and said, "You'll have to pedal a bit harder than that", and to be fair to him, he was really moving considering the steepness of the hill. So, after pulling out a lead of about 50m, I thought that it would be only fair to let him in on the secret, so I slowed down a bit to let him catch up, I was smiling as he came alongside and just as I was about to show that I could go just as fast without pedalling, he said, "Huh!, not going so fast now are you?" Presumably he thought I was tired. So, rather than let him in on the secret, I asked him how fast he wanted to go and gradually opened the throttle to full to give it the full 28 amps at 48v. I smiled and said "Bye" as I accellerated away pedalling as fast as I could with my new 53 tooth chainwheel. I wish I could have seen his face. Was I a bit mean to him? Am I a big kid? Was that a bit irresponsible?
you missed a chance for another convert. you should have told him.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i wear the lycra as its warmer and more comfortable. I think most people look at the gear and just think i am very fit....haha. Its such a good feeling when you spot somebody well ahead,slowly reel them in...then fly past.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
indeed it is good fun. But chance's are there probably alot fitter from doing everything none assisted.

Still it is a good feeling going past. Glad you gave it a good thrashing though d8veh!

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
In the early days of fitting an electric kit to my bike I zoomed past a racing bike rider with a big smug smile on my face but about a mile later the battery ran out and I tried so hard to pedal it but he caught me up and went past laughing.
In those early days my work friends use to ltake the p because there was always some bad connection or battery problem and with the extra weight I was actually getting more exercise than if I had used a normal bike. But now they don't laugh anymore.