Disabled Rider Trying to Make His Ride Easier

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
This the adaptive bike for Lorraine “The Pocket Rocket” Truong. A pro racer who crashed resulting in a serious brain injury
Orange Bikes Phase AD3
Phase-AD3_Alex-Desmond-linkage-design_2021-064_3Q__600_400.jpg

Reactions: Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I want a fully enclosed electric folding tadpole recumbent with a folding roof, with a heater for when it's parky out.
Not quite every requirement filled but...

For the Yanks there is the aptera which (fingers crossed has promise, but will come at a price..

the UK/Ireland? solution?..

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not quite every requirement filled but...

For the Yanks there is the aptera which (fingers crossed has promise, but will come at a price..

the UK/Ireland? solution?..
I like it! @Nealh linked a similar project from some years ago on this forum by a member with "kiwi" in their name, but I can't recall what that name was. The Aptera also looks great, still not available, it's front wheels look vulnerable to cars/SUV/lorry/bus/etc. sideswipes, and it doesn't fold into the sub-35kg package I want, to be carried on public transport when required. My seemingly impossible quest continues.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rhe above velomobile looks pants compared to Tony's build.

It was Tony /anotherkiwi with his Agilo velmobile, though still a forum member he doesn't post now except maybe the odd hello maybe.
Tony lived near the French /Spanish border and migrated over to a German specific velomobile forum.

Not forgetting the whole vehicle above is made from a hand made wooden chassis and steamed panels, all constructed in his small studio flat with a balcony on the 1st or 2nd floor. When finished he had to hoist it down from his balcony.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was Tony /anotherkiwi with his Agilo velmobile, though still a forum member he doesn't post now except maybe the odd hello maybe.
Tony as he lived near the French /Spanish border migrated over to a German specific velomobile forum.
That project of his was amazing, built like a boat. Hope the skillfully formed plywood bodywork hasn't rotted away, and he's still using it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tony was a boat/dingy builder and uses wood.
The Agilo is so aerodynamic that he can get over 90miles from his 617wh lipo battery set up , his usage is approx. 2.2 wh/mile.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Rhe above velomobile looks pants compared to Tony's build.

Tony lived near the French /Spanish border and migrated over to a German specific velomobile forum.

View attachment 56744

View attachment 56745
Not forgetting the whole vehicle above is made from a hand made wooden chassis and steamed panels, all constructed in his small studio flat with a balcony on the 1st or 2nd floor. When finished he had to hoist it down from his balcony.
Brilliant. The next step has surely got to be towards amphibious ebike? Looks most of the way there. The ebike version of the amphibious Lotus Evora Sport 410 from that Bond film, which Elon Musk bought, and didn't make fully functional as promised.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Is what i cant stop thinking about when considering such vehicles..
SUV drivers wouldn't even see the Aptera's front wheels, which are low and project out from the sides - the axle is even more likely to be snapped and/or the wheels smashed off in slow moving traffic jams. Would other road vehicles need to become smaller, for 35kg folding hard shelled fully enclosed velomobiles to be safe on the roads? I suppose I could cover it with GuerneySiderating Illumimakers™ to make it more visible, with it's reflectors lights and frickin' laser beams on orange lollipops.

There must be a right din inside fully enclosed velomobiles, that wooden one you linked sounds bangy and creaky. Soundproofing would make it too heavy. Soft shells are rubbish.

Last edited: