Disappointed.....

path20

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2008
I have bought a New Volt Metro Electric bike. I was really looking forward to picking it up today from a nearby cycle shop and having a go on it. I had read all the reviews first and I am sure I have purchased a good bike. It wasn't cheap.
But....when I went to pick it up and pay for it I was disappointed at the way I was just given the keys, the charger and the bike, no plastic bag in sight. There was no paperwork whatsoever. No handbook or anything. It's a good job I didn't want to ride it home as the battery was not charged up.
On reaching home and charging the battery for six hours there was no change in the battery. It was obviously not charging. The charger says it is a Li-on charger yet the battery says a Li-Pol charger must be used.
What is wrong?!!! Back to the shop tomorrow.

All the excitement of having a new bike has gone

path20

Jun 5, 2008
Thank you. I am going back to the shop with it tomorrow. The staff seemed nice enough but still not happy.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Have you checked the fuses in the battery? One should be there to protect the charging circuit.
Perhaps Volt have an online manual that might help.
Don't be discouraged. Electric bikes in general are brilliant.

Reactions: timidtom

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Bike shops forget that for the individual buying and especialy picking up a new bike is an existing time and nothing dampens the experience like pore service, to them it's probably just another bike and no big deal.
Your bike should have been pdi'd, air in tyres, gears and breaks checked, battery at least half charged etc just to make sure everything works as it should.

When I ordered my bike I specd the tyres I wanted and even supplied my own handlebars.
Long story short, the pdi & collection was "fubar" and I walked out without the bike but with my money still in my pocket.
I did get the bike the next day but the whole "new toy fealing" was tainted.

Anywho, I love my bike and don't regret buying it for one minute and I'm sure you'll feal the same way soon enough, just don't let the shop mess you around.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
When Volt droped my bike off I got a manual, and a Instruction leaflet, spare fuses and the charger came in a box. Go to their website and check what you should have received with the bike. I'm surprised because they normally offer a pretty good after sales service.

path20

Jun 5, 2008
I have been in touch with Volt and they have been very good. Their response to my emails has been excellent.
My husband has been back to the cycle shop this morning and they have apologised. We were not given a new charger with the bike,it was an older faulty one. They hadn't got a manual so Volt are sending us one. We haven't been given any spare fuses. I noticed the battery had one.
Still not happy we had to go back and he was stuck half an hour in traffic.
I'm glad we bought a Volt bike, made in Britain is just fine for us and with our initial experience of their customer service all looks well.
....now,just need spare fuses.

Reactions: HarryK

Volt Bikes

Just Joined
Apr 8, 2016
I have bought a New Volt Metro Electric bike. I was really looking forward to picking it up today from a nearby cycle shop and having a go on it. I had read all the reviews first and I am sure I have purchased a good bike. It wasn't cheap.
But....when I went to pick it up and pay for it I was disappointed at the way I was just given the keys, the charger and the bike, no plastic bag in sight. There was no paperwork whatsoever. No handbook or anything. It's a good job I didn't want to ride it home as the battery was not charged up.
On reaching home and charging the battery for six hours there was no change in the battery. It was obviously not charging. The charger says it is a Li-on charger yet the battery says a Li-Pol charger must be used.
What is wrong?!!! Back to the shop tomorrow.

All the excitement of having a new bike has gone
Hi Pat,

We're really sorry you have had a negative experience when purchasing your bike. Buying a brand new e-bike should be fun and exciting and we would like to apologise if this purchase has been anything but. We have spoken to the bike shop and I believe they have exchanged your charger for a working one and we are sending you a user manual in the post. We hope you can get on with enjoying your new bike now and if you need anything else please feel free to give us a call on 0207 378 4728.
Many thanks,
Volt Bikes

path20

Jun 5, 2008
Thank you so much Volt. I have just had a ride around on my Metro and it's just the job for me and my dodgy knee.I know I'm going to love it.

• Agree
Reactions: Yvonnep and damian