Display mode light flashing

ian slater

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2024
Hi
Can anyone help please.I have a carrerra vengeance e bike around 2018 model.The display mode light on hi std and eco started flashing and was getting no pedal assist.I took it to halfords,have had crank sensor ecb and display replaced, battery is showing full charge they tried new motor and even replaced battery holder today the one with the 5 prong battery terminals on but the problem still persists.Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was problem.
Thank you
Ian

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Hi Saneagle
Its the 1st gen i think,the black one with the arrows up and down to change mode has the yellow light button.Not an oled screen
Thank you
Ian

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi Saneagle
Its the 1st gen i think,the black one with the arrows up and down to change mode has the yellow light button.Not an oled screen
Thank you
Ian
Lights 1 and 3 flashing means a brake sensor is switched on at start up. Disconnect the brake connectors one at a time to see which one is giving the fault. The bike will run with them disconnected, or you can just use one instead of two, though the cause of the problem is normally obvious and easy to fix once you know which one is stuck on.

I hope you didn't pay Halfords for any of those parts.

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Hi
I don't think brake connectors are connected to electric set up,although bike has disc brakes i think they are standard but will check tomorrow.As regards parts i got money back on crank sensor they gave me new display cause mine which was showing fault just stopped working as a result of something they did so gave me the new one.I had to pay for ECB cause they couldn't get one
Thanks for your reply
Ian

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi
I don't think brake connectors are connected to electric set up,although bike has disc brakes i think they are standard but will check tomorrow.As regards parts i got money back on crank sensor they gave me new display cause mine which was showing fault just stopped working as a result of something they did so gave me the new one.I had to pay for ECB cause they couldn't get one
Thanks for your reply
Ian
There should be an electric cable coming out one or both of the brake levers. Follow it to the connector, then disconnect.

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Morning Saneagle
I have checked what you said as regards brake sensor but neither have one on.I have attached photo of display and it's on hi std and eco that light just flashes with no pedal assist where if light was fixed on red in either mode pedal assist works
Thank you

Attachments

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I think you should check all of the connections on your bike are plugged in properly and not damaged.

I just managed to destroy a 5 pin Julet plug on a display and I’m usually very careful when I plug them in.

It’s really easy to do if you aren’t paying enough attention and Halfords may have done the same when they were swapping out components on your bike.

Here is the mess I managed to make of mine:

IMG_0166.jpeg

I cut off some of the green plastic and straightened the pins so it plugs back in. When I chop off the plug and socket I can do a continuity test on the wiring so I solder the correct wires together, because you can’t rely on the wiring colours all being the same. And you get it wrong both the display and controller get blown up.

I‘m really annoyed with myself.

Last edited:

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Morning
Thank you for reply,i find it strange that it just stopped working one morning when been working fine.I've only ever used it on eco mode but ride in all weathers and blamed possible water ingress hence that's why i thought changing the parts that would be affected would solve issue.The chap at halfords said it would be one of three things so tried new crank sensor new ecu new display and still didn't work.I even put a new battery holder on yesterday in case it was that but still showing same issue.
Thank you
Ian

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Morning
Not sure if this is a silly question or possible but if you have battery on e -bike that's showing full charge and on charger it's showing the correct voltage can the battery still be a problem for the bike to not fully function correctly i.e pedal assist not working and display not fixed on a particular ride mode (light just flashing on mode) rather than fixed red for particular mode you put it in.Any feedback greatly appreciated(doing my nut in)
Thank you
Ian

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Morning Saneagle
I have checked what you said as regards brake sensor but neither have one on.I have attached photo of display and it's on hi std and eco that light just flashes with no pedal assist where if light was fixed on red in either mode pedal assist works
Thank you
I thought you said hi and low were flashing. That error code is on the older LED display. You have the new type that has a number for the error code. Error code 0 is the infamous communications error. You get that when the control panel can't communicate with the controller, which can be caused by many things, so is difficult to solve.

If you can trust your Halfords that they did actually replace those things, it only leaves the cables as being a source of the problem. Start with the one from the control panel to the controller. It could be broken inside the insulation, so look at the point where it gets flexed by the steering. Wiggle it there to see if you can have an effect on the fault. Check everywhere for damage.

The indirect cause of the comms error is any short on one of the 5v wires. You only have two external 5v wires on your bike, not counting the above-mentioned ones. One is in the motor cable, so check it all the way from the motor to the controller. The other is in the torque sensor, but if they did replace the torque sensor and the problem didn't go away, that can't be it. The torque sensor wire is extremely vulnerable to damage, so I'd check it anyway.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Ah, now I remember what happened to my connector. The bike toppled over the other day and it must have got crushed between the fork tube and frame. There’s no way I would have tried to force it on like that.

Just goes to show they can easily be damaged if the bike falls over.

Your coms problem with error 0 on the Carrera is likely to be a connection problem also.

ian slater

Mar 31, 2024
Hi
Thank you for all your help on this,i'll check out the things you have suggested
Regards
Ian