Display problem.

Stevie Atkinson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi there, I've got the 850c display unit on my ebike which has it's own connector plug, the button controller also has it's own connector plug a 4 pin blue, the display would not power up,I've hooked up a different display unit a DPC18 which is powering up okay which means I don't have a problem with my battery,the DPC18 is a 1 plug unit with the button controller wired to the display unit,I can't figure out how to find out if it's the 850c display unit or the button controller that has the problem I've checked all connectors all are in good condition.
I don't want to fork out for a new display unit if it's only the button controller that has the problem .
I'm baffled ☹
Any help would be much appreciated

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm not overly familiar with the two displays you're using (others here who are will likely be along shortly), but as a rule you can't swap displays willy-nilly. With few exceptions, the display talks to the controller using brand specific protocols (language), so generally displays are not interchangeable with different brand controllers.

Stevie Atkinson

Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, thanks for your reply,yes I know switch units are available everywhere,what my problem is how do I know if it's the switch unit or the 850c display unit
How can I test each unit separately ?

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I've had a bit of experience with both the 850c and the DPC18 with my custom builds. Both are susceptible to water ingress/damp problems. Has it got wet lately (or even damp in a shed or whatever?).
If so, I would start with ensuring all the contacts are clean and no signs of corrosion. However, it may be that damp has got into the main screen which means it's a goner really.
I only use the 500c display now, colour, gives all the main settings but a bit more robust with less to go wrong.

Stevie Atkinson

Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
RichB,my ebikes are kept indoors,I treble checked all the connections all clean ,no corrosion,I wipe my ebikes down as soon I can if I've been out in the rain.i was actually thinking of getting a 500c is that display unit okay to be used with a 1000w mid bafang and a 52v 21ah battery,I thought I'd read somewhere that the 500c was no good with a 52v battery ?
Thanks bro for your reply ⭐

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
No worries. The 500c is fine with the 52v, my last build was a 52v 20ah battery with the BBSHD and no problem at all.
Now you mention it I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the 500C had problems with 52v but I had one anyway spare, so stuck it on with no issues. Maybe there's problems with hub and a separate controller (??) but no issues at all with the middrive.

Reactions: Stevie Atkinson