Display replacement problem!

Towse

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Hello - first post here, apologies if it's not in the right place...
I've got a Green Edge CS2 and the display is broken -it's got a crack in the screen which started letting moisture in, then the bike started slowly getting glitchy until it stopped working altogether. The only Green Edge replacement I could find was 90 quid, which I ordered and it arrived with different connectors - mine's a 3 pin orange connector, the one that arrived is green and about 7 or 8 pin. The Green Edge supplier can't help, apparently they can't get the orange connector display modules - so. I'm screwed, unless I can find one somewhere else - and I can't see any with orange connectors on Ebay or anywhere else. Anyone had this, or know the answer???!! Thanks......

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In 14 years of working with every type of ebike, I have never heard of a control panel (display) that can work with three wires. As a minimum, you need two to power it and one to tell the controller your power setting. All the ones I've seen have a wire to power the controller when you switch on, which means 4 wires for dumb LED display. If it's an LCD that shows speed, it needs two wires to transmit data, which means a minimum of 5 wires.

Please check again what is at the end of the cable and show us a photo of which control panel you have because there were three different ones fitted, none of which had only three wires.

One more question: Is the cable on the replacement one long enough to reach all the way into the bottom of the battery?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try ebikesdirect.co.uk to see if they carry a spare part.
The disply used is an Intelligent model .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
greenedge display - eBikes Direct (e-bikesdirect.co.uk)
£90.

For that money , I would replace all the electronics with a new KT controller kit set up for about the same money.

edit:
Probably the one already found as mentioned in #1, best option is the KT route and one can get a better controller and lcd display for less then £90.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's a shame the £90 has already been wasted. It could have gone a long way to make your bike much better. First, answer my questions above because there might be a simple solution.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes pics are best to show us what you have in the way of a connector.

Towse

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Wow - I feel like such an idiot... Just went to check the connector and realised I was looking at the brake connector, not the controller connector! The controller connector is in fact green!! What. A. Plonker. Thanks for all your helps anyway, hopefully that fixes it!

• :D
Reactions: Nealh and Tony1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wow - I feel like such an idiot... Just went to check the connector and realised I was looking at the brake connector, not the controller connector! The controller connector is in fact green!! What. A. Plonker. Thanks for all your helps anyway, hopefully that fixes it!
If you have any more problems with that bike, ask first before buying anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and Tony1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, you should have little problems . It will be a straight swap so £90 not down the drain.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bit of a bugger that .
Looks like one will have to carry out some controller tests but if you have waterproof connectors then it isn't straight forward.
Controller Mosfets and motor Halls are the two main areas to check but will depend if the connectors are at all user friendly to poke meter probes in to.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Generally, if the display switches on, your throttle should work, so your problem might be elsewhere unless the display shows level zero. You can check that by cutting the connector off your old LCD, leaving a few inches of wire. Strip back the insulation and twist the red and blue wires together. Plug it in like that, then the throttle should work and the pedal assist should be fixed to level 1.

Reactions: johnGN