Display waterproof

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
Just wondering does anybody know if the vlcd5 display is waterproof or would I need to put it into some waterproof cover when it is raining.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
extra cover is a good idea in this time of the year.

Bad Machine

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2019
I had the same concern and thought I could adapt this - it's big enough to cover the VLCD5.

Mine's arrived, and I plan to do that this weekend. I've already started on this:

One of these is just big enough to cover my battery - I've cut the base out of it, so it just slips over the battery pack on the rear rack. It's just big enough (length) for the HL case. I've kept some padding to pack the cover out. I can remove the cover (velcro straps), unlock the battery and slide off to take indoors to recharge.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The water normally goes in up the wire, not in through the top. If you put some butyl bath sealant around the joint, where the wire goes in, you should be OK.

Probably, the warmth of the MOSFET inside it, heats up the air, expands it and pushes some out. When you switch off, the air cools down and sucks more back in along with the water.

Some LCDs are well sealed inside where the wire comes in, others aren't - even for the same type and make.

Bad Machine

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2019
Unfotunately, the casing for the VLCD5 display has its join line running all the way round, and I doubt very much if it is a watertight seal, so my concern remains that rain will seep into the unit from all angles, including the cable entrances. I'm not taking any chances, and will be using the cover when its wet.