DIY competent eMTB?

alex1991

Just Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Hi,

I am planning on building/buying an eBike for my wife so she can keep up with me on MTB rides.
I was initially going to buy a Cube Hybrid pro but I cannot bring myself to buy a MTB that expensive (£2.5k) with such poor kit (XCM fork and SX groupset) and also not in stock for another 8 months.

I was then thinking of just getting a nice entry level MTB such as the Orbea MX20 and putting a kit on it.
The kits in mind are a hub kit such as the DWG22C or the XF08C or a crank drive such as the TSDZ2 or BBS01.

At the moment I am leaning towards a 250 watt 48v TSDZ2. Do these fit modern mtbs with the larger chainstays?
Will I be able to make a bike that is suitable for light off-roading with these components or are they just not up to bumpy terrain?

I do have a cycle to work scheme voucher I could use.
Any good UK suppliers? I have tried Woosh but no stock of the TSDZ2 till next year. Custom built e bikes only have a 500 watt version which won't be road legal.

I think she weighs 67 kg and won't ride anything more technical than single track and blue routes at places like Sherwood pines. Max range required would be 30 miles. Frame size will be a small (15 inch).
Thanks for the help

Last edited: