DIY conversion advice

birthstar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2009
Hi,

I would like to convert my old bike so that I can get more use out of it, we live in Bristol which is pretty hilly which tends to put me off getting out. I am hoping that the fun factor of a new toy coupled with some assistance will motivate me to ride more. The donor bike I am planning to use is a Gary Fisher hoo koo e koo 2001. While it is a mountain bike I have not taken it off road for years and I don't plan to it has slicks on it at the moment. I weigh in at about 70Kg.

I was looking at the Swytch offer as the initial price is attractive although I believe I'm competent enough to take components and DIY it. I have hobby electronics tools (e.g. multimeter, solderstation) if they are needed. Also the Swytch is not slated to deliver till July if ordered now.

What would you more experienced hands suggest in terms of component selection?

birthstar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks Woosh I am not certain about if the rear gears would transfer over and still work is a 9 speed set up.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have 9-speed gears, you need a cassette motor. I would recommend 48v for the extra power. At 70kg, any cassette motor with a max speed of around 260 rpm for a 36v one at 48v or 328 rpm for a 48v one should be OK.

My preferred kit is the Q128C motor, KT 15 amp controller with LCD and a dolphin (09) type battery, but I bet there's not a lot of difference between the middle-sized cassette motors, and you can fit whatever battery you want as long as it can deliver a continuous current of at least 5A more than the controller's max.