Do police even bother to check if an e-bike is legal?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and yet they still brake the law go ask peter at ebike motor centre how much help i am and all the othor company's in my sig :cool:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Llandudno Wisperer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2017
North Wales
Regularly, on the North Wales Cycle Route, National Route 5, a guy overtakes me doing at least 30mph. He is totally silent as he comes past and does not realise the danger he poses. A little wobble from me, or, if I was walking, a side step, and I would be injured or even worse. I try to be courteous, slow down to walking pace when passing pedestrians, and go past really slow.

Reactions: Jaxter and Az.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Regularly, on the North Wales Cycle Route, National Route 5, a guy overtakes me doing at least 30mph. He is totally silent as he comes past and does not realise the danger he poses
If its an eBike then it could be one of those using an illegal eBike who try to justify it because they are a 'responsible' rider and 'respectful' of those they share the paths with.

Llandudno Wisperer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2017
North Wales
If its an eBike then it could be one of those using an illegal eBike who try to justify it because they are a 'responsible' rider and 'respectful' of those they share the paths with.
Sorry, but this guy is not respectful. Saw him on the prom at Llandudno doing AT LEAST 40MPH. His bike has a huge battery and a big hub motor. Was talking to our community pcos about him. One of them rides an e bike and knew the rules, and said he will eventually be caught and have his ebike confiscated. Told that NW police had confiscated 3 ebikes and numerous e scooters.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Police won’t do a thing. No money in it for them. Or is there…. One reason why it keeps going on and not been dealt with. Corrupt coppers letting it happen for a monetary bung. If this isn’t the case, let’s see glos pol be proactive?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With the controller limit at 15A my bike averaged 16 watts per mile/9.99 watts per km, I woudn't have ridden it if it didn't. I don't know how much it uses now that I've increased the controller limit to 18A. (100% "Keep current" in firmware, 250W manufacturer rated motor, speed limited to 25km/h therefore still legal :cool:)

“If the police can read via Bluetooth that the output of an e-bike motor is more than 12 watt hours per kilometer, then the motor is tuned. The normal output is 5 to a maximum of 10 watt hours per kilometer,” said Brust.

Bluetooth could help police spot e-bikes hacked for higher speeds

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
these ppl are thick as shite going up hill my bike uses way more than that or id not get up the hill :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
these ppl are thick as shite going up hill my bike uses way more than that or id not get up the hill :rolleyes:
You'd need to install huge diseased granny gears to tackle steep hills at a speed which isn't a crawl, if using "5 to a maximum of 10 watt hours per kilometer". Or take steroids.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I bought an ebike labelled 250 watts and all that because I didn't want ot have my investment seized. It's been less than a week and I haven't been riding more than 30 mins a day, and I've seen an electric scooter in the bike lane, a guy throttling his e - bike down the cycle lane at like 30 mph, and a teen around 14 with what looked like an e bike that could do over 30mph.
Until there is a fatality in an MP's, police, or Royal family nothing will happen, when an MP's parent/child is killed then there will be an outcry :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I once followed a Police car with faulty brake lights, flashed him, turned off with him, eventually and I mean eventually he stopped, I pointed it out and told him blankly "if your car had been mine you would have booked me", he was NOT happy, tough. One of the benefits of Autism :p:p:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I once followed a Police car with faulty brake lights, flashed him, turned off with him, eventually and I mean eventually he stopped, I pointed it out and told him blankly "if your car had been mine you would have booked me", he was NOT happy, tough. One of the benefits of Autism :p:p:p
"Research such as the ‘Neurodevelopmental disorders in prison inmates‘ study (2017) has found that 9% of prison inmates meet the criteria for autism, 25% meet the ADHD diagnostic, and 9% meet the screening criteria for learning difficulties."

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
With the controller limit at 15A my bike averaged 16 watts per mile/9.99 watts per km, I woudn't have ridden it if it didn't. I don't know how much it uses now that I've increased the controller limit to 18A. (100% "Keep current" in firmware, 250W manufacturer rated motor, speed limited to 25km/h therefore still legal :cool:)

“If the police can read via Bluetooth that the output of an e-bike motor is more than 12 watt hours per kilometer, then the motor is tuned. The normal output is 5 to a maximum of 10 watt hours per kilometer,” said Brust.

Bluetooth could help police spot e-bikes hacked for higher speeds
That's complete BS. It's just scaremonger from a guy that doesn't like it that others can go faster than himself, like we get on this forum from time to time. Tuning a Bosch, yamaha, Brose or Shimano motor doesn't change the power in any way. All it does is ignore the speed limit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my wc at the joke center told me i was now going on restart and it is mandatory i said like feck it is and i wont sign anything! as buy law i am not required to as there 3rd party company's for profit and contract law and gdpr and that can not be mandated under law!

i rang see tech and said anyone that does not sign there data away will be reported as not precipitating hmmmmm.

https://flic.kr/p/Y5DDey
got one of those.

and this
https://flic.kr/p/YDtAHA
so i am not allowed to participate because a 3rd party private company cant get there esa funding for doing feck all oh no :eek:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If anyone sold a bike broadcasting nick me info to passing plods how popular do you think it would be.

and if the 'expert' is referring to sniffing passing ble broadcasts, Soooooo many ways to throw a proverbial spanner in them works.. Rest easy...

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0146_04.JPG

catch me if u can :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tuning a Bosch, yamaha, Brose or Shimano motor doesn't change the power in any way. All it does is ignore the speed limit.
Do the "tuning kits" Ernst refers to for those motor systems provide parameter changes or controller shunt mods you're not aware of yet? Velotech are supposed to be experts in standards testing:

Channeling nepotism magic, I skry this is one of Ernst's relatives:

Shunting isn't necessary for the Bafang BBSXXX series :cool:... and long may it stay that way! :p

(Downhill, uphill on low battery)

It's tantamount to installing flight recorders into ebikes and facilitating even more intrusive data snooping than we have already with every damned networked thing we already own. Would the cops have access to your journey routes too? Is he going to suggest cops be given remote kill switches? I hope nobody listened to Mr.Brust at the "the Criminal Investigation Department in the city of Würzburg, Germany" or anywhere else! :mad:

Genie's out of the bottle, monitoring of our shit will never end.

‘Smart toilet’ monitors for signs of disease
A disease-detecting “precision health” toilet can sense multiple signs of illness through automated urine and stool analysis, a new Stanford study reports.

If the cops can't catch illegal ebikes in motion, they might increasingly look at developing ways to check if ebikes have been used illegally when they're stationary? Mind you, all escooters are blindingly obvious and illegal unless used on private land, and they've managed do be completely ineffective reducing the numbers of those whizzing and weaving over roads and pavements everywhere.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Do the "tuning kits" Ernst refers to for those motor systems provide parameter changes or controller shunt mods you're not aware of yet? Velotech are supposed to be experts in standards testing:

View attachment 55122

Channeling nepotism magic, I skry this is one of Ernst's relatives:

Shunting isn't necessary for the Bafang BBSXXX series :cool:... and long may it stay that way! :p

(Downhill, uphill on low battery)

It's tantamount to installing flight recorders into ebikes and facilitating even more intrusive data snooping than we have already with every damned networked thing we already own. Would the cops have access to your journey routes too? Is he going to suggest cops be given remote kill switches? I hope nobody listened to Mr.Brust at the "the Criminal Investigation Department in the city of Würzburg, Germany" or anywhere else! :mad:

Genie's out of the bottle, monitoring of our shit will never end.

‘Smart toilet’ monitors for signs of disease
A disease-detecting “precision health” toilet can sense multiple signs of illness through automated urine and stool analysis, a new Stanford study reports.

If the cops can't catch illegal ebikes in motion, they might increasingly look at developing ways to check if ebikes have been used illegally when they're stationary? Mind you, all escooters are blindingly obvious and illegal unless used on private land, and they've managed do be completely ineffective reducing the numbers of those whizzing and weaving over roads and pavements everywhere.
No, they wouldn't be able to detect a shunt mod, and the shunt mod would also mask the use of a speed limit tuning device, since the Bosch system would be recording and reporting less wh/km being used than actual.

As I said, that article is just BS - someone trying to scare dongle users because of jealousy.

I can remember about 5 years ago, there were stories going around that dealers could avoid warranty claims by reading your wh/m to determine whether you'd fitted a dongle, but I've never heard of a case where that actually happened, and I can't see why a dealer would want to do that.

Last edited:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
There is a situation where I think its very critical as to whether an ebike is precisely legal or not. (or so it seems) Say I am walking down the streets of London and am hit and injured by an ebike. I then try to take a civil action for my injuries. It seems that it is essential for me to know whether the ebike is 'legal' and therefore I think would be considered a 'cycle', or is an uninsured illegal MPV as in the latter case this gives me an entitlement to make a claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau.
However someone else may clarify or have an update if this is the case.

Last edited: