Do you leave your display attached to your ebike, when leaving it locked in a public place?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I take my BBS01B 20" Dahon Helios P8 folding bike conversion everywhere, despite having purchased locks... but my new (actually old) Bafang BBS01B 26" Dahon Espresso folding bike conversion project is too big for supermarket trolleys, taking into workplaces etc. and I'm wondering how many forumites leave their displays attached to their bikes, when leaving their bikes locked in public places, and if they have, has anyone had any problems with vandalism or theft of their ebike display?

I suppose if I attached the display to the crossbar of braced handlebars, and used wingnuts, I could quickly unscrew the bolts and unplug the connector to remove the DPC18 display. I doubt thieving scum would spend ages unbolting the motor, but I shouldn't assume. It'd be quicker to anglegrind the two D-locks off.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I've attached three decoy displays, so in most cases they won't pick the right one, or better still, will take so long to make their minds up I'll be back in time to nab them!

• :D
Reactions: guerney

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I take my BBS01B 20" Dahon Helios P8 folding bike conversion everywhere, despite having purchased locks... but my new (actually old) Bafang BBS01B 26" Dahon Espresso folding bike conversion project is too big for supermarket trolleys, taking into workplaces etc. and I'm wondering how many forumites leave their displays attached to their bikes, when leaving their bikes locked in public places, and if they have, has anyone had any problems with vandalism or theft of their ebike display?

I suppose if I attached the display to the crossbar of braced handlebars, and used wingnuts, I could quickly unscrew the bolts and unplug the connector to remove the DPC18 display. I doubt thieving scum would spend ages unbolting the motor, but I shouldn't assume. It'd be quicker to anglegrind the two D-locks off.

That's an interesting question in relation to my new Dahaihatsu. At the moment I'm using the converted Swytch old tourer for shopping etc - With that I can easily detach battery and handlebar bag to take with me. I await novel solutions. Peter

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I dont often leave my MTB eBike locked in public unattended.

However some time back I did swap the LCD3 type display which is pretty much a 'please steal me' advert for the much smaller LCD4, whcich does not look so obvious.

The only thing I miss from the larger, much more obvious, LCD3, is being able to look at the voltage of the battery which is a much better guide (I find) to battery condition than the 4 bars.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's an interesting question in relation to my new Dahaihatsu. At the moment I'm using the converted Swytch old tourer for shopping etc - With that I can easily detach battery and handlebar bag to take with me. I await novel solutions. Peter
I don't think anything is possible without invalidating the warranty of your new Decathlon Riverside.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I dont often leave my MTB eBike locked in public unattended.

However some time back I did swap the LCD3 type display which is pretty much a 'please steal me' advert for the much smaller LCD4, whcich does not look so obvious.

View attachment 50961

The only thing I miss from the larger, much more obvious, LCD3, is being able to look at the voltage of the battery which is a much better guide (I find) to battery condition than the 4 bars.
I bought the older version of this Minoura handlebar extension a couple of months ago (linked below) at a bargain price, which I hope will bear the weight of a 7" tablet, without the phone/tablet holder slowly and comically swivelling downwards in hours of heavy sustained rain, unlike the carbon extension I'd tried... haven't had a chance to test the Minoura in rain yet... but I'm guessing it could cope with the weight of your current display - trouble is, operating the buttons would require a little reach, but it's pretty easy to detach (could be made easier), and if your display could be unplugged to remove with the extension, you wouldn't need to leave it out (or your preferred LCD 3) for thieves or vandals to notice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minoura-SGS-400-Handlebar-Accessory-Mount/dp/B075T3FPVS

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
lcd4 has a voltage readout , you just have to toggle the on/off button quickly for the three screen data changes. The only data missing over the lcd3 are the watts reading and air temp reading.

I reverted back to lcd3 as I found it better to use, my lcd4 was a little erratic and the voltage reading and speed reading weren't great. I suspect I simply recieved a dodgy unit from TBK.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Short answer to the OP's question is no I don't remove my display when parked up in a public space.

That is mainly down to the fact that I had a choice of displays available with my TSDZ2 kit and I deliberately went for the minimalist VLCD6 which apart from not being very attractive to thieves, is screwed to the handlebars, not clipped on.

It is unfortunate that the larger displays shout to the keen eyed "hey I'm an ebike, come and steal me" and if I had one of those I would definitely remove it when parking up.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have seen the 'erratic' speed thing myself, it can suddenly display a much faster speed for a second or so. Maybe an inherrent bug ?

You right about the volts thing it is there ................

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mostly my odo read out was non existant and often stayed a 0 mph.
When I tried the lcd3 it was ok so I decided to stay with the lcd3 .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think the KT displays are missing just that one thing, which is a clip in display to a fixed handle bar mount. Simply unclip the lcd and unplug it to make it mobile.
Doesn't need to have integrated contacts to connect on to, just a simple remove and unplug would do for the occassional need when going in to a shop.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I think I have commented on earlier posting about this.

If we leave our Motus bikes at a supermarket, we get a trolley and put the batteries in it along with a bag for the display units. With the frames locked to bike rack, we feel we have done all we can to make them less attractive.

If we are sight seeing and need to park somewhere, we try to find a popular cycle park area. The process is then the same, but this time I have a small folding trolley (courtesy of middle of Lidl) which I can carry in a pannier. I have made a modification of the trolley so that, once opened, I can hitch the pannier to it and then place batteries and displays in it and trundle around with us.

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the KT displays are missing just that one thing, which is a clip in display to a fixed handle bar mount. Simply unclip the lcd and unplug it to make it mobile.
Doesn't need to have integrated contacts to connect on to, just a simple remove and unplug would do for the occassional need when going in to a shop.
If superglue + baking soda (or the stronger superglue + graphite combo) doesn't dissolve the display's casing or Quadlock case plastic, one could be cut to fit the back of the ebike display and permanently bonded on, for easy twist and lock on/off?

...but at that price, particularly desperate thieves may steal the Quadlock mount! Might be wise to superglue + baking soda the bolt... which can be dissolved if needed (albeit slowly), using acetone (which also strips paint).

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
The stupid vlcd5 display on my new tsdz2 kit is probably the weak link. I hate it! It's like having a 50" TV on the handlebars ( ok, slight exaggeration).

When the warranty is out I will solder up a loom for a minimalist bafang display and flash the motor. It's not that I want more out of the motor, just want to ditch the handlebar mounted big screen...

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If you look at the image you can see the KT colour display, it isn't the smallest however what I do is tighten the two connectors so that I can still move rotate it back/forward, so if I'm recording video on phone in orange cradle I rotate display forwards underneath so not blocking camera, I also rotate it far forwards as it goes underneath when parking so you have to look to see it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are there stick-on screen covers which have realistic looking fake smashed glass printed on, which could make displays less attractive to steal?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
GoPro comes to the rescue once again lol... this seems like a cheap but secure option to secure displays to handlebars, with quick and easy removal: Cut off the short 1/4" bolt and file that top surface flat, then adhere it permanently to the back of the display using superglue + baking soda (or graphite). If it's a large display, perhaps add a supporting plastic layer in between. If superglue doesn't melt anything.

If the button pad is separate: It's unlikely to be of interest to thieves, so perhaps cutting the cable which connects it to the display, then soldering on some kind of appropriate waterproof connector would suffice.

I've got a cheap plastic version of this already, and there's a wide variety of cheap GoPro-type (cheaper than Quadlock!) quick release alloy and plastic clamps, arms and mounts:

The rails could be filed off this one, and the display (or button pad) bonded on. The bracket is slotted on one side - undo just one bolt for quick release. I can't find this to buy anywhere in the UK:

Pricier official GoPro quick release clasp with release button - the display or button pad could be bonded to the mounting plate, after the rails have been sawn off and filed flat... or quick release by undoing one bolt:

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
What connector would you use ?

If the connector fails with all the unplugging etc, the eBkie fails.

Thats part of the reason I stopped using the LCD3, pretty and inviting it might be, but its vunerable in the middle of the handlebars, take a fall and if it gets damaged the eBike wont work no more.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Would be interesting if there were any stats available on how many ppl have had their ebikes displays vandalised/stolen?

It's also a good point that your ebike is crippled without it.

I can't see anyone bothering with the small LCD ones however the colour screen I have could be construed as some sort of phone or something worth nicking....they'd also have the hassle of removing the controller key fob or cutting cable and cutting the cable to controller....if they don't have a tool then...gl to them...I can't imagine many would bother to steal...more likely to be p1ssed up vandal chavs....?

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If you want a truly 'removable' display then really it has to be Bluetooth with a suitable controller and twist off mount or the like, um but you still need power.

But would you feel safe in heavy traffic relying on BT or BLE....what if it drops when you need to get out of there, no power so stuffed....? I'll stick to wires.

Also something else to lose...I struggle with keys/wallet/phone...