Do you leave your display attached to your ebike, when leaving it locked in a public place?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you want a truly 'removable' display then really it has to be Bluetooth with a suitable controller and twist off mount or the like, um but you still need power.
The standard Bosch Intuvia is removable with no need for nonsense like bluetooth (like the one Ray mentioned above). It does have its own (very long lasting) battery. I remove it when parked to prevent the display itself being stolen (its a silly price), and to reduce the temptation of stealing the bike.

There is an option to screw it in so it isn't (easily) removable.
Shame the contacts are badly designed and need a little coaxing every now and then; which would be more difficult if it were screwed in. I understand the newer ones have better designed contacts.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What connector would you use ?

If the connector fails with all the unplugging etc, the eBkie fails.
Good question. How about these?

• Type: 2 pin, 3 pin, 4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin, 7 pin, 9 pin (optional)
  • Protection level: IP68
  • Length: 6.5cm / 2.56in
  • Weight: approx. 17-19g

Would be interesting if there were any stats available on how many ppl have had their ebikes displays vandalised/stolen?
There don't appear to be any stats for that specifically, which is why I consulted the wisdom of the forum, having never left an ebike locked up anywhere before - I take my small 20" wheeled folder everywhere, which I won't be able to do with the 26" folder I'm very slowly assembling. Vandalism or theft of the display would be a major headache. Prices for replacements have increased by at least 20%, potentially weeks of waiting for a replacement to be delivered.

Also something else to lose...I struggle with keys/wallet/phone...
Simply keep with the big expensive battery? Maybe that should have a handy mount or mounting point (velcro?) for the display too.

My Halfords Carera has a very neat little display which just slides off and locks in place with a clip, the contacts are in the back of the unit, I don't know why more companies don't adopt a similar approach
The standard Bosch Intuvia is removable with no need for nonsense like bluetooth (like the one Ray mentioned above). It does have its own (very long lasting) battery. I remove it when parked to prevent the display itself being stolen (its a silly price), and to reduce the temptation of stealing the bike.
I do wish the Chinese would copy designs better.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Only an opportunist is likely to nick my bike and the d lock will put them off. Part of the advantage of having an old bike that looks like a deathtrap. The most likely candidate is somebody who does not want to walk home from my local as it is very much in the boonies. And it's a local place for local people, I'd soon find out who the guilty party is.

That is why a discrete display would help. I sure as hell can't be bothered removing it every time I leave the bike somewhere. Bad enough faffing with battery and lights and locks.

Another consideration with removable display is likelihood of disconnecting the display whilst the battery is connected up. My understanding is this may well cause problems with some kits...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another consideration with removable display is likelihood of disconnecting the display whilst the battery is connected up. My understanding is this may well cause problems with some kits...
My lights are soldered to the battery, so after removing my battery, I'd switch them on to use any residual power (which there is on my kit's controller, for a time), before disconnecting the display.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I leave mine on, but the longest I've ever left the bike unsupervised is 5 minutes outside the Post Office.

No problems so far.
As it happens, the only time I have ever left my 20" folding bike conversion locked, was outside a Post Office for 10 minutes. Foolishly, I had neglected to remove the seat tube... thankfully it was still there when I returned to my bike, which is when I discovered two women inspecting my bike closely - despite being old (2006), it's still shiny thanks to it's lacquered aluminium frame, and it further attracts magpie attention because of it's unusual (by today's standards) design. I said hello to the ladies - the younger was the daughter who liked the look of the bike. I decided I wasn't going to leave it outside anywhere again. It'd be a gigantic pain in the proverbial to discover the display vandalised or missing. Cheap replacement displays can be bought of course, but I'd be yelling "I told me so!" while pushing the bike to a bus stop, train station or taxi.

Last edited: