Do you stand when you should be sitting?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Only rarely on an e-bike it's true, but pushing a heavy e-bike up a hill which is too steep to ride can be even more hard work than riding it if it hasn't got an operative throttle. That's why BikeTech created the "walk alongside" throttle for the Panasonic unit, so the bike could push it's own weight while the owner walked alongside.
I find the throttle very helpful when I'm pushing it through a building (i.e. a train station), if the floor is tiled my cycling shoes have very little grip and I'd have a hard time trying to push it up the slope to the platform.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I find the throttle very helpful when I'm pushing it through a building (i.e. a train station), if the floor is tiled my cycling shoes have very little grip and I'd have a hard time trying to push it up the slope to the platform.
Yep, I've even customized the "restrict" function of my Wisper for this purpose, with the green button in the right place it can be restricted right down to walking pace!

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Going back to the original question, it is instructive to watch kids - they frequently pedal whilst cycling - sometimes for acceleration at other times for looking around ... and maybe some times because the bike is not properly adjusted.

I am a bit wary of standing on the pedals as i am nearing the other end of the age spectrum - I wonder whether there is an age balance thing that also comes into play or is it that the older we get the more we enjoy taking things steadily!!!!

John