does continous discharge current matter

neilhapgood

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
Hi folks,

I am looking at two batteries for a tsdz2, one has a continous discharge current of 30a and one of 25a, will this effect the power of the motor at all?

thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not directly. but you have to get a suitable battery, and different batteries have a range of characteristics that you might want. The most important thing is the type of cells in the battery.

Rather than asking cryptic questions, it would be better to show the two batteries so that we can judge their suitability and comment on them.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tsdz2 is not that current hungry the peak is less than required for a bbs01 /02 as vfr 400 said above the quality of the cell is more important and the ah capacity affects range

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have a read of the recent tsdz2 threads, we are all getting niggles and with quality control problems with recent batches:rolleyes: it used to be a great product but not so sure now :(

neilhapgood

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
thanks all, the batteries are:

sad to see the quality of the tsdz2 seems to have dipped, I brought one recently and loved it, however my parents came to visit and my step dad, who thought his cycling years were well behind him, tried it and loved it so I have given that one to him and looking to do another one for me.

its so tricky as you find tales of woe with both bafangs and tongsheng, seems to be the luck of the draw as to what you get?

thanks again for the advice

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have used both of them without problems like you i loved the tsdz2 hope to go back to them again.
Fitted one of the new 2020 models with out a problem [not from PSW] with the new colour 850c display and new bafang style plugs but the cable to the display was far to long but it worked well more power 18amp max

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Both of those batteries will be fine. It's just a question of how much capacity you want for your range.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As has been said both are good cells, I can vouch for the 29E being a very good cell.
My two 29E batt's are six years old and both still deliver 40+ mile range if I only use PAS 1, in higher PAS levels range is drastically reduced. Even with reduced power/capacity they still allow me to tow a trailer laden with 30/40kg payload. Early in their life/use I abused them with current/derestriction and they lost capacity, prior to doing so 50+ mile range was achievable. Since I have mollycoddled them since they are ideal for my power level usage on flat terrain. The 29E doesn't like high current so keep it below 20a and it will be good in 5p configuration.

If one goes on ES they are also one of the most top rated cells on that forum, though the guys over there tend to use them in larger battery builds. Their cost per mah is the best for a top branded cell if battery size isn't limited.

Last edited:

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
sad to see the quality of the tsdz2 seems to have dipped
I don't think it has - the reliability issues e.g. blue gear, sprag clutch have been there from the start. At least it's easy to get parts and fix if you have a problem.