Does size really matter?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Kudos Dave,
I can appreciate that you may get riled by Trex but he is not employed by me officially or otherwise and therefore , I think, has every right to post on here - as does anyone. He is a good friend dating back for many years, is extremely clever (scientific background) but I actually don't speak to him that often. In his defence I don't think that he claims Woosh Bikes to be the be all and end all - he has praised many other bikes in the past, or certainly some of their features and even some of yours, if I recall.

This is actually not as bad as the rather insulting way you describe Woosh bikes at times ('cheap Chinese bike sold on the Internet' - and some of your's aren't?) and exaggerate claims of faults to your own advantage.
I do not do this to you. I have even recommended people to call you in the past when I haven't had stock or think one of your bikes might be better for them than one of ours. Perhaps I should stop doing so.

It is very busy right now and I am fully hands on, not stopping from 7 til around 5 each day. It seems like you don't have enough to do, so I suggest you go roll up your sleeves and get out on the shop floor like me.

Hatti
Hatti,long ago did I go down and package product,the businesses have moved on from that stage some 15 years ago.
I am an extremely busy guy but now my life is spent deciding on new products,marketing those products and controlling the ordering of same,we have over 70 suppliers in China now and these take my efforts to plus 2 others to control the flow of product.
You have used the Pedelecs site quite cleverly as your primary marketing medium and therefore I think it is fair game for me to attack your weaknesses in any way I choose,this is not a game we are playing it is business,you have been responsible in putting several other e-bike businesses out of the ball game and Trex gets quite excited when a business goes down as a result of Woosh,see his posting'another one bites the dust!'So don't get all holier than thou on me.
Trex is becoming a real bore about the Woosh product,someone has only got to say I am interested in a bike and in 10 mins he is on their singing the praises about a Woosh bike,even if that bike is totally unsuitable for their application.
He doesn't come over as intelligent ,in fact he makes awful mistakes,even detrimental to yourselves...quote 'Woosh has had supply problems this year' and his claims about the Woosh product are bordering on the incredulous....I think you should read some of his postings.
What is wrong with calling the Woosh bikes,cheap Chinese bikes sold on the internet, for that exactly is what they are,Kudos bikes are a bit more expensive Chinese bikes sold by direct sales and through dealers.
I will continue to use whatever weapons are in my marketing armoury to compete with whoever I choose,such battles have been and are still being fought in the Automotive business, I have won more than I have lost.
What is the expression' if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen'
This weekend is a family weekend off going to visit the grandchildren,the advantage of a medium size business with good staff is that I can take time off when I choose,but you do need to grow the business to achieve that,it is hard work on the way.
Regards
Dave Elderfield

Reactions: oldtom

dmsims

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2010
South Devon
Hatti

I have a suggestion for you - instead of posting pay some attention to your customers.

You arranged an agreed collection of the Santana CD on July 21, 22 and 29

Every time the courier has failed to collect despite your assurances that they still going to turn up.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hatti

I have a suggestion for you - instead of posting pay some attention to your customers.

You arranged an agreed collection of the Santana CD on July 21, 22 and 29

Every time the courier has failed to collect despite your assurances that they still going to turn up.

David

As I stated in my email to Kudos Dave I am very busy and you will find posts from me extremely rare. I pay the utmost attention to all my customers. This includes you, having offered you a very cooperative solution to the problem you had with changing gears on your Santana CD.
I explained that on the first date collection was arranged the usual courier was on holiday and the replacement driver could not locate your house.
I have no control over such issues, sorry.
I then sent you two emails asking when I could arrange an alternative collection to which you did not reply. I finally called you and we agreed on collection on 29th. I rang the depot in the morning to make sure they knew where your house was and to confirm that collection would be made, which they duly confirmed.
If the bike was not collected on 29th you should have told me and I would have complained to the depot whose manager I have spoken to about you at least 3 times.now. I don't think many people can do much more for customers than that or indeed than I try to do for them in general.
The bike arrived back this morning.
I won't be able to post from now on for quite a while due to workload.
No doubt you and KudosDave will rub your hands in glee.

Hatti

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I hope you've got a big battery then :) As Eddie says your plans could evolve as you realise just how nice an e-bike is to ride, so go for the biggest battery you can get.
I know how nice it is to ride. I've been riding an Agattu for nearly 7 years.:)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hatti,long ago did I go down and package product,the businesses have moved on from that stage some 15 years ago.
Dave Elderfield
Not that long ago Dave. Your company was quite small back in 2008, that's public records, for anyone to google up.
You've done extremely well since, there is no doubt about you've won more battles than you've lost, but if you have to resort to dirty tactics, that says a lot about you as a person.
by the way, Hatti may not have much time but I do!

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
In my very non professional capacity, I can only say that you shouldn't rely on your current commuting route to decide upon which battery size is best. Things/circumstances have a nasty habit of changing when least expected. I'd suggest, establishing a budget price for bike purchase, research bikes within this, including things such as battery options, dealer location and warranty. Then start a thread to try to slim any list down, and try as many bikes as you can. What might suit one person, doesn't always suit another.
Sometimes Coffee sometimes Horlicks there you go.

MS.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I always have Horlicks, that way when it's my turn to buy a round I'm fast asleep.

Reactions: Woosh

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
I hope you've got a big battery then :) As Eddie says your plans could evolve as you realise just how nice an e-bike is to ride, so go for the biggest battery you can get.
That's very good advice in my experience. We bought our first Powabykes ,which had less than 20 miles on a charge in this hilly area, thinking that would be more than enough. Within a few months, once we'd found out again just how enjoyable cycling for the fun of it could be (i.e. not just for the commute), we needed more mileage.
So, yes, get as much power as you can first time - an acquaintance of mine always used to say "Buy cheap: Buy twice". Turned out right on this occasion.

D

Deleted member 4366

Battery size has nothing to do with cheapness, though. Many of the cheaper bikes have more battery capacity than the more expensive ones. In fact, it's not easy to find an expensive bike with a high capacity battery.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Battery size has nothing to do with cheapness, though. Many of the cheaper bikes have more battery capacity than the more expensive ones. In fact, it's not easy to find an expensive bike with a high capacity battery.
kudosdave, your manner says it all, congrats on giving your company all the bad publicicty it needs..

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
This Kalkoff I've just bought will go up the 17.5% hill up to my house in third gear faster and with about the same amount of effort or less than the Woosh in first.

It is ridiculously undergeared though and if it's the same gearing as a member here who posted his, third is 37." While the Woosh is 34" in first if I remember right.
thanks for that, it clears up an experiecne i had (as you racinig up a hill in third with a kalkhoff teh santana can only just do in first). BUT, i guess that means teh woosh is not so much more weaker as i thought?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hang on a minute! What are you comparing? What's the all-up weight of each bike? How hard are you pedalling each bike?

There's a power difference between the Kalkhoff impulse and the Woosh TCM motor, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the Woosh would be unsuitable. You only need the right power for you.

Corpus Luteum's 24v Tesco Hopper goes up a 17% in top gear with hardly any pedalling. What does that mean? Could the fact that she only weighs 39kg have something to do with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... another depressing read on here.

OP asks an interesting question. Which can be answered in a simple paragraph.

"No you don't need a bigger battery for that commute... but you might need a bigger battery for other rides or if you don't want to charge every couple of days or so.... essentially buy the biggest battery you can afford. Although there is no option on the Panasonic hub drive battery, its already big enough for 99% of applications anyway"

Thread done.

But

Trex, yet again posts his thoughts expressed like they are facts. When they are so far from the truth its some times dangerous. I've given up picking him up on his mistakes because we've got a company to run. But it would be helpful if someone from pedelecs could "moderate" some of his posts, so they are factually correct. Or at least add something below his details that states that a high % of his posts are total rubbish and should be ignored. So far I think of the posts I've read a good 70% contain something that is totally incorrect, which damages this websites credibility as a whole.

This place is going to end up with just 3 or 4 of you trolling each other because none of the thousands of genuine eBike customers around the UK now riding their eBikes will come on here more than once.

Reactions: EddiePJ

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hang on a minute! What are you comparing? What's the all-up weight of each bike? How hard are you pedalling each bike?

There's a power difference between the Kalkhoff impulse and the Woosh TCM motor, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the Woosh would be unsuitable. You only need the right power for you.

Corpus Luteum's 24v Tesco Hopper goes up a 17% in top gear with hardly any pedalling. What does that mean? Could the fact that she only weighs 39kg have something to do with it?
I think he's comparing his girl firiend's Kalkhoff Tasman with 26" wheel, Impulse motor, 400WH battery and Nexus-8 (38T front, 18T rear) against the Santana CDL 700C wheels, TCM motor, 540WH batatery and 7-speed (44T front, 14-34T Shimano TZ21 rear).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Trex, yet again posts his thoughts expressed like they are facts. When they are so far from the truth its some times dangerous. I've given up picking him up on his mistakes because we've got a company to run. But it would be helpful if someone from pedelecs could "moderate" some of his posts, so they are factually correct. Or at least add something below his details that states that a high % of his posts are total rubbish and should be ignored. So far I think of the posts I've read a good 70% contain something that is totally incorrect, which damages this websites credibility as a whole.

This place is going to end up with just 3 or 4 of you trolling each other because none of the thousands of genuine eBike customers around the UK now riding their eBikes will come on here more than once.
what have I posted that upset you this time?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

very true - for reference it's a90kg bloke and about 10 to 15 kg pannier (so pretty hefty) - i found the comparison of gear ratios very helpful for comparing teh TCM and impulse 2 (it makes teh 70nm torque versus 60 for teh TCM sound more or less spot on - but that only means somewhat slower climbing of teh same steep hill, not that its a no-go). but even that doesnt tell the whoel story - a derestricted tcm will do 19mph all day on moderate terrain, teh impulse 2 as far as i know cant be derestricted

what have I posted that upset you this time?
where to start?

Bigger batteries can support bigger demand, better at hill climbing and require fewer charging cycles, ultimately result in less pence per mile.
bigger batteries do not equal better at hill climbing

and

bigger batteries do not equal less pence per mile.

Both these things are influenced by a HUGE range of factors and battery size is a very very small part of it. Post a statement like this makes the OP think that a 400w Bosch battery won't be good enough for his commute.

It CLEARLY will be, and your attempt to confuse the poor guys doesn't do you, or him, or this forum any favours.

If you have hills, beware that European bikes don't have throttle, you have to input a sizeable effort to pedal uphill. Typically, their assist levels are:
eco: 50%
tour: 110%
sport: 170%
turbo: 250%
That may seem adequate but if you have 10% hills, it's not.
Chinese bikes tend to have much higher assist, like 900%. If you're a bit unfit, get a bike with throttle.
The assist of a Bosch Bike is ENOUGH. I rode with my mother, and she's over 60 and never rides hill, up Leckhampton hill in Cheltenham, its over 10% and she span up it fine on a standard bosch bike and loved every minute of it. Left my Dad for dead and he was on his £5000.00 road bike. He was not so happy. Your posts make it look like someone needs 900% assist, and a throttle. THEY DON'T.

Suggesting to someone they need a Throttle if they are a bit unfit, isn't helpful. They don't. It'll just make them more unfit, and kill their battery faster. Pedal assist is much better for someone's health and their battery life. If you have a medical problem that needs a throttle so you can ride then fair enough.

and thats just one of your posts. If you wanted me to pick up the problems and errors in the last month of your posts, I'd need a day to do that.