Does this bike exist...

Pilot999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
I have trolled the many forums looking for the answer to my quest, but so fat, no luck. I am hoping for Devine guidance.
70 years old, overweight, and not particularly fit. I have a Woosh big bear that I have owned for 6 years, does not get lots of use.
I spent some time in Wales recently with a friend that owns a Voodoo FS ebike. I tried it and loved it, so comfortable, smooth and brill stopping power.
So, I am smitten.
I will never jump, or hurtle down hills, but I love the look and comfort. So...can you advise or recommend what my new bike should be. I have a budget of 3K ish.
having something with a warranty or new would be ideal.
Should I buy a Voodoo if I could find one. Or maybe a Decathlon Stylus, if I could find one.
Your thoughts and ideas would be very much appreciated.
Terry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Riese and Muller Homage for when you can't get your leg over so to speak!

Understated, under the radar full suspension crank drive with a naughty high speed motor option.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Jeez, thats £400 more than what I paid for one of these, which is very comfortable, has an electric screen, traction control, can carry a trolly load of shopping and go up any hill without breaking a sweat. It probably has lower running costs too.
When they build one that can run further than I can walk I'll buy one .. I have cash waiting :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Ha, no I meant per charge. Last few weeks I've taken a 23 mile walk then I did 35 miles the following week, I'd be looking at a great deal further between charges before I could warrant getting one. Giving it some serious thought though.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Like yourself vfr I always had Honda's, stripping them down & rebuilding happy days. I'd still go electric I think next time.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Like yourself vfr I always had Honda's, stripping them down & rebuilding happy days. I'd still go electric I think next time.
I thought the same, but these motorbikes are becoming so frugal with fuel, it's difficult to make a case for electric.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Jeez, thats £400 more than what I paid for one of these, which is very comfortable, has an electric screen, traction control, can carry a trolly load of shopping and go up any hill without breaking a sweat. It probably has lower running costs too.
Nice. Do they come in 50cc version? (Don't have bike license, and d cost of insurance here, ouch!).
Is there a pic showing where d shopping goes? (Most don't even have room for 1 helmet, never mind 2).
'Frey CC' is step-thru, full sus, electric, going on 3k£, only 1 guy on FB (Adrenaline eBikes) seems to sell them tho.
http://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-CC.htm (website not secure, says google/android, "starting" at $2980 says 'Elektrek')
Cheers, Mikel

Last edited:

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
@Pilot999

Ifyou want to ride forest trails, then have a look at Giants website - not sure what you'd get in FS ebike for the budget (probably the Stance model, but perhaps some sale offers on if you shop around ?)

Certainly a hard tail Fathom E with 500Wh battery is well within budget (£2-2.3k) - the Fathom has the option of 27.5 or 29" wheels so plenty of rubber and a good sized wheel to straddle imperfections.

If you want something more road friendly then their explore E range is worth a look - hardtail but narrower tyres for more all round use.

If you can put up with a solid fork then the Fastroad EX Pro might also be a consideration - its certainly road / tow path / cycle path biased though. I'm due to collect mine this afternoon :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Nice. Do they come in 50cc version? (Don't have bike license, and d cost of insurance here, ouch!).
Is there a pic showing where d shopping goes? (Most don't even have room for 1 helmet, never mind 2).
There are loads of 50cc scooters. They're a bit smaller than mine, so don't have as much storage, though most can manage at least one full-size helmet under the seat plus other stuff. I can get 3 full carrier bags of shopping under my seat or two full-size helmets and one bag of shopping. You can fit a back box on all scooters to get more storage. I have one from my last bike that I was going to fit, but I've not fitted it because I don't need the extra storage.

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I might be very out of touch, and all my motorcycles are old, some very old, but I always thought that the sweet spot for a commuting motorcycle/scooter in terms of low running costs and performance was 125cc.

Cheap tax, insurance and a reasonable turn of speed to be generally safer and able to keep up with traffic, including dual carriageways.

Of course you do need a bike licence, I got mine back in the 70's! That was when you could ride an almost 100mph 250cc two stroke machine on L plates. Happy days!

50cc has always seemed much more dangerous in terms of their lack of performance and limited top speed.

Just to prod the wasps nest, this is why I also think that ebikes should have their cut off speed at 20mph as for the same reasons this is a safer speed to cycle on busier and faster roads.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Just to prod the wasps nest
Put away your mesh hood and bee-keeping suit George, it seems the wasps are refusing to sting!

Totally agree with you regarding 50's. I bought myself a Puch Maxi a couple of years ago as a nostalgic 40th birthday pressie. Absolutely terrifying!

Sadly the standard of driving has deteriorated so much since I was 16 that the best way to ride a 50 now is like it's a push-bike....near the kerb and stay out of the way of the nutters!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
The bike I owned and was lucky to survive when I was 19 was a Yamaha RD400F, and even in today's traffic I am sure would have no trouble keeping up! I was offered an almost original one like mine a few years ago for £2,000 and should have snapped it up.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Yes, you'd definitely have no problems keeping up- as long as the traffic wasn't going round corners too fast!

Great bikes though, despite their handling flaws. Yes, £2k would be a bargain as well as a great financial investment.

Not a very good investment in your life expectancy though!!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I checked online quite recently using the reg and it was still on the road. In respect of the handling, at the time I thought it handled well, I even thought the single disk front brake was good as I could out brake my mates and other bikes of the time. I used to brace my elbows against my knees as I crouched over the clocks to control the weave that could set in on occasion around the ton. You believe you are indestructible at that age!