Done the search to death, need advice please.

BGEbike

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hi All,
I am coming back to the ebike fold having commuted on an ebike for a couple of years. I have two Dahon 20 inch folders. One has steel forks the other are alloy, one 7 speed the other 8 speed.

One is mine (80kg weight) the other is my wife’s (70kg weight). We are caravanners so the folding option is a must to get them in the back of the car and tow the caravan at the same time. We cycle on cycle paths and nothing that would be termed off-road. We need a robust range of 25 miles to allow for a circular route etc. The terrain can be hilly but at the moment, with no power, we tend to walk up the steepest hills when our gear range and strength is reached.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? At the moment I'm thinking I need two rear wheel motors with suitable controller, battery, display and associated sensors, pas etc.

Also, using the Kudos Secret as an example, to buy two of these at list would be approx £1600, £800 each so the suggested kit solutions must be worth doing. Can I convert both bikes for circa £800?

Many Thanks.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Two batteries will cost best part of £800 before the rest of the kit.
Looking like kudos gives you the warranty and new bike buzz.
Or woosh etc

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Secret is a nice little bike for the money, but it's no more than a generic Chinese ebike with 'Kudos' stickered on it.

If you root around the net, you will probably be able to find the same bike for less money.

Which, in turn, makes converting your bikes a less viable financial option.

D

Deleted member 4366

For a dahon with 20" wheels, a 36v 260 rpm Q100H motor with a 48v controller (S06S + LCD) and 48v battery will get you up any hill. You can select from a range of batteries. All this stuff can be got from BMSBattery.com. AFAIK, nobody offers these small, light, powerful motors as a kit in the UK, which is a shame.

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Again many thanks for the leads etc. This is what I have come up with, two options for a DIY kit as follows:
Option 1
BMS Battery

Q100H 36V350W 260 rpm Rear E-Bike Motor Wheel 20” £80

S06S 250W Torque Simulation Sine Wave Controller £20

S-LCD5 LCD Meter for S-Series Controller £14

Eight poles PAS--Pulse Pedal Assistant Sensor £1.50

Thumb Level Throttle without Handle £3

A pair of Brake levers £5

A Pair of EBike Torque Arm £12

Total b4 shipping and taxes = £135.50

Insat International (Jimmy?)

48V 11.6Ah Samsung INR18650-29 £275

So approx. £400 b4 tax/shipping from China

Option 2
BMS Battery

Q100C CST 36V350W 201 rpm Rear Driving E-Bike Motor Wheel 20” £87

S06S 250W Torque Simulation Sine Wave Controller £20

S-LCD5 LCD Meter for S-Series Controller £14

Eight poles PAS--Pulse Pedal Assistant Sensor £1.50

Thumb Level Throttle without Handle £3

A pair of Brake levers £5

A Pair of EBike Torque Arm £12

Total b4 shipping and taxes = £142.50

LUNA Cycle

52v Mighty Mini Cube Ebike Battery Pack Panasonic PF 5.8ah $230

Total b4 shipping and taxes = $442 (c£350)

So approx. £490 b4 tax/shipping from China and USA

So my target budget of £800 for 2 x folders is way off!!

The main dilemma I have is that I would prefer the CST motor over the freewheel version as I need 11 tooth top gear to match what I have already.

More input needed please.

What is the downside of using the CST 328rpm version in option 1 at 36 volts? (remember 20 inch folder).

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi All,
I am coming back to the ebike fold having commuted on an ebike for a couple of years. I have two Dahon 20 inch folders. One has steel forks the other are alloy, one 7 speed the other 8 speed.

One is mine (80kg weight) the other is my wife’s (70kg weight). We are caravanners so the folding option is a must to get them in the back of the car and tow the caravan at the same time. We cycle on cycle paths and nothing that would be termed off-road. We need a robust range of 25 miles to allow for a circular route etc. The terrain can be hilly but at the moment, with no power, we tend to walk up the steepest hills when our gear range and strength is reached.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? At the moment I'm thinking I need two rear wheel motors with suitable controller, battery, display and associated sensors, pas etc.

Also, using the Kudos Secret as an example, to buy two of these at list would be approx £1600, £800 each so the suggested kit solutions must be worth doing. Can I convert both bikes for circa £800?

Many Thanks.
Cost me approx £557 to convert my Giant full suspension bike 2 years ago. I used a Bafang rear hub motor kit with throttle and wheel included from a company in China elifebike.com. It cost around £267 with airfreight and modest £35 custom charges when picking it up from local carrier.Took 3 weeks to arrive.The carrier mounted LiPol battery and charger was another £246. At the time I could see no UK based Bafang motors for disc and cassette gear mounting as that model was pretty new. You would not have the disc rotor problem though! The cheaper hub motors often have screw on hubs which may mean less gears and a worse spread of gears. A front hub would be nice and simple but I see my Dahon Folder (not motorised) forks are only 75mm width. Luckily the rear frame dropouts are the standard 130mm. Where to put the battery? The rear carrier on mine would hold the battery I bought, but, as I noticed on my Giant Conversion, it does lead to most of the extra weight being near the back and the steering is lighter going up trails so much that I have to lean foreward more. That said, these were steeper gradients than you would encounter I suspect. Perhaps a 'behind the seatpost' type battery strapped to your seatpost when the bike is unfolded or on a front handlebar carrier. lots to think about. Just went online to elifebike.com and they have a 350w 48V rear cassette motor for only $71. The kit which adds to the motor, controller, throttle, PAS and LED is $96. But carriage adds $95 so a total of $191 or £153 at today's exchange rate. Add on £20-25? customs on pick up. Unfortunately the fitted to wheel (20" as well) has now disappeared so you have the problem of sourcing the right length spokes and using your existing rear wheels. I also saw an unbranded, geared rear hub motor kit in a 26" wheel for only £119 but probably only accepts screw on gears. But should you worry? low gears are hardly ever used on electric bikes although I concede a small top gear is handy, especially on a 20" wheel.
Good luck with your quest!