Help! Dongle on latest Bosch or Yamaha? Been told the software can tell.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Hi, I have had my Cube SUV Hybrid since 2015, and when I ride it round my estate, I clip on a dongle which does the usual. (Bosch Active Line, 400w/h battery)

Thinking of upgrading to an XC style with a bit of rear suspension, as some of the tracks do get a bit bumpy sometimes.

I went to the local Giant warehouse, the salesman said that the latest Bosch software, on the latest motors, know if your taking too much power out the system at effectively half the display speed. Is he talking the truth? I still see a lot of tuning products for the latest Bosch and Yamaha.

TBH, I cant see this is true, as what about a fat bloke, on flat tyres, going up a long hill at 10mph against the wind. Would the software really flag a fault?

Serious question about the latest software please.

Thanks - Geoff.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
atm dongles still work but a firmware update could brick any dongle you wire in to the motor.

best option is a bad ass dongle you clip on the sensor and can be removed in seconds.

all of the bosch motor reports i have seen has not shown any errors from the motor using a dongle but it could change.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
atm dongles still work but a firmware update could brick any dongle you wire in to the motor.

best option is a bad ass dongle you clip on the sensor and can be removed in seconds.

all of the bosch motor reports i have seen has not shown any errors from the motor using a dongle but it could change.
Does this include the new software update for the 85nm boost as well Soundwave?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no one has posted on here any problems using dongles with the current updates installed tho you run more of a risk with dongles wired in to the motor.

tho if you want one of those make sure you can update its firware incase a update stops it working.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yes, its a badass dongle I have currently. Still on original battery too!
im on my 3rd batt in near 6 years still works fine ;)

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
No, it simply slides over the sensor and is a push fit over the round pick up. They recommend that you move the magnet a few mm from the sensor and turn it round 90 degrees, but that's also easy. My BadAss 3 has a rubber band securing it. I think the latest version is even simpler.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
No, it simply slides over the sensor and is a push fit over the round pick up. They recommend that you move the magnet a few mm from the sensor and turn it round 90 degrees, but that's also easy. My BadAss 3 has a rubber band securing it. I think the latest version is even simpler.
so you don’t remove anything at all just slide this on?
will the speedo work the same etc?

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Above say 10mph, the speedo only reads half speed with one of these speed clips. Thats really easy to work out though...

On the original topic though, I think manufacturers will make a bit of mistake by trying too hard to not allow tuning. Sure, I dont mind it being difficult, stop most idiots doing it, as if it takes some knowledge to tune, then you should have common sense too...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Bosch announced that big time a while ago, to make their engines "un-tuneable". They did that mainly in response to the harsh laws in France, where manufacturers can now be held responsible as well.
And that of course can be a huge risk for them, so they most likely do that.
How they program that I don't know, but there certainly is a possibility to do so.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you have to move the magnet on the wheel but thats it ;)

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Bosch announced that big time a while ago, to make their engines "un-tuneable". They did that mainly in response to the harsh laws in France, where manufacturers can now be held responsible as well.
And that of course can be a huge risk for them, so they most likely do that.
How they program that I don't know, but there certainly is a possibility to do so.
Have you got a link please?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tho ebike shop sells and fits dongles to all there bikes and honor the warranty.

go work that one out lol the day he no longer fits dongles is when it will be impossible to dongle them anymore.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Thanks!
Stops me in my tracks from buying another Bosch or Shimano...

I love the blurb though that is can "damage" your motor so much... didnt Bosch used to be in the market when Speed Pedelecs were legally about in Germany etc?

Reactions: WallyM

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sclass motors are the same they just have a different speed limit set at the factory in the firmware for 28mph.

dongles dont add more power and only removes the speed limit mine is like brand new and i try to kill it oll.

DSC_0114_01.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

if you get a bike and the dongle you want works just dont let the dealer update the firmware mine has never been updated n they can fook of charging £45 to plug in a usb cable and push a button.

tho if you want a dongle and a bosch motor with warranty get it from ebike shop or here.
@Electric Transport Shop
Official Trade Member

Nov 13, 2018
Hi Soundwave,
I hope you're keeping well and enjoying your e-bike.
I just noticed your post suggesting that e-bikeshop are the only dealer that will fit dongles and honour warranties and because you're a very active member just wanted to let you know that this is also the case for us at electricbikesales.co.uk
In fact we've been providing fast ebikes for commuting and fun loving e-bikers since 2005.

Last edited:

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Have you got a link please?
I found it again :) https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal/de/en/new-software-from-bosch-ebike-systems-protects-against-tuning-192393.html

So - Bosch is "out" for me as well, not that i really want to break any laws, but every software has problems and I dont want to see me going to Bosch each time to "free up" the blocked engine because I was pedaling with 20 miles an hour and the "smart" software concluded that I tuned the engine with some dongle or so...

Reactions: mike killay

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I dont want to see me going to Bosch each time to "free up" the blocked engine because I was pedaling with 20 miles an hour and the "smart" software concluded that I tuned the engine with some dongle or so...
That is not going to happen, I have been using a Bosch Activeline plus for nearly 2 years and covered over 2500 miles and often go over 25 mph on the straight using just pedal power (no dongles or speedchips) and have had no problems at all.