Double Freewheel Cyclone motor on long wheelbase recumbent.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
For personal use I have tended to operate on a Permanently Temporary basis ~ a low tech, low input solution as a prototype that may remain in use for a couple of decades. Watch this space?

According to Wikipedia the Peer Gynt is a classic European long wheelbase recumbent and here it has been dragged from the back of the garage and converted to mid-motor hybrid, a Genuine lash-up.

The dual freewheel Cyclone pokes through a piece of plywood and rests on a section of old bike tyre which acts as a cushion for the exhaust clamps on the bottom frame tube.
Well I am a peasant, or did I mention that?
The 24V 10Ah LiFeP04 is mounted to the rear of the seat and with the motor, increases the sprung weight ratio but handling appears unimpaired.
On the level I really would .not. like to say how fast it goes, but I am looking for a larger chain ring so that I can catch up when it is at full wellie.
Temporally gave up the front changer position for the throttle but when I stopped pedalling on a steep hill in first gear (Megarange), it slowed a little but not much.

Please note that this design, or anything like it, is copyright.:D

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's what plywood was invented for, inventive home mechanics. :D

For very large chainwheels, have a word with Highpath Engineering, the cycle engineers. They fixed me up with this 60 tooth from stock: