Dream ebike feature? Dream dealer facility?

TeTs.BiZ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2009
Hi guys and girls,
Keeping it short and simple, what would be your:
1) Dream ebike feature?
2) Dream dealer facility?

I'll start.......
1) All weather protection + heater
2) Never ending free warranty + servicing

I'll admit my aspirations are a little unrealistic so maybe you could come up with some more realistic suggestions? :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
More reliable e bikes generally. Plus a shop that is staffed and where people actually answer the phone.......Is that to much to ask, I think not:D

TeTs.BiZ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2009
Hi Eddieo. Can you expand on that at all as an ebike enthusiast? Specifically, by reliability are you pointing towards stronger motors, or better weatherproofing etc etc?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Dream ebike feature? I would love to see a workable fuel cell powered bike - though that is probably a while off. In the mean time, I like the idea of an intelligent controller - one that talks to the battery, the computer (that shows battery history (charge/discharge), speed and distance etc), connects to a smart phone to draw pretty graphs etc.

Dream dealer facility? A dealer near me would be nice :D If there were I would like to be able to drop the bike in for whatever work needed doing and continue on my commute on a courtesy ebike (would be a great way to test out new models) and pick the bike up on the way home.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
A dream dealer is an interesting question. Have you heard of a company called Best Buy?

Best Buy are the world's largest technology store, and they win over customers by having easy to navigate store, with clued-up employees who know what they're talking about and can help customers in a way they'll understand (and support them at home with the 'GeekSquad' - highly-trained "geeks" who can solve all your problems and gripes easily).

They started by trying to win on price, and that turned out to be a losing game. One of their new CEOs took a different take - win on service and location. Practically every city in the States has a Best Buy store with consistent, excellent service. Its an experience going there, really!

What's interesting, is Best Buy is trying to open up here in the UK, although they're well behind their current targets thanks to a lack of retail space here. I went into the Hedge End store before Christmas where it appears like they're just finding their feet.

Still, they are stocking some brands of electric bike...

I'm not suggesting Best Buy are the answer, but take what they're doing and create a shop with their guiding principles. Large, space to try stuff out and with an expert beside you if you want them. Retail done well.

Imagine having some of the design engineers in some of the stores a couple of days a week, seeing how customer react and work with the product. And why limit it just to the design team? MDs, managers, delivery folks...

And then scale it? A franchise-scheme perhaps?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
A dream dealer is an interesting question. Have you heard of a company called Best Buy?

Best Buy are the world's largest technology store, and they win over customers by having easy to navigate store, with clued-up employees who know what they're talking about and can help customers in a way they'll understand (and support them at home with the 'Geek Squad' - highly-trained "geeks" who can solve all your problems and gripes easily).
I had heard a lot of bad experiences of Bestbuy and the 'Geek Squad' in the states. A few years ago there was a lot of weird sales practices such as refusing to sell laptops as advertised. Insisting that they had to be configured (at extra cost) by the geek squad to get them at a price close to that advertised and just plain making a mess of the OS and then charging again to fix it.

That said PC World here in the UK has gone through good and bad phases so, still curious to see the UKs take on Best Buy for myself I too went to the Hedge End store a couple of weeks after it opened - I really wanted to see their electric transport offerings. Its a nice store and plenty to look at but I didn't think the prices were that great.

I do like the idea of a store that has the design engineers and/or MD/CEOs in to actually talk to their customers. Sounds like a great idea.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Its a nice store and plenty to look at but I didn't think the prices were that great.

I do like the idea of a store that has the design engineers and/or MD/CEOs in to actually talk to their customers. Sounds like a great idea.
Sure, but price is only part of the complete offer. Who would you rather buy from:
  1. A cheaper guy on eBay with little or no feedback, poor listing and few specifications
  2. An expert who's helped built the bike your buying and has just spent 20 minutes with you riding around the store on it (whilst a collegue entertains you child/spouse/mother etc.) and is offering backups at a moments notice, and is tossing in a free bike lock with it too.

I suggest Best Buy because of the technology relationship, and it was the first thing that came to mind. I guess you could say the same thing about John Lewis?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Sure, but price is only part of the complete offer. Who would you rather buy from:
  1. A cheaper guy on eBay with little or no feedback, poor listing and few specifications
  2. An expert who's helped built the bike your buying and has just spent 20 minutes with you riding around the store on it (whilst a collegue entertains you child/spouse/mother etc.) and is offering backups at a moments notice, and is tossing in a free bike lock with it too.

I suggest Best Buy because of the technology relationship, and it was the first thing that came to mind. I guess you could say the same thing about John Lewis?
With e-bikes in mind I would agree, but then prices don't seem to differ that much across the retailers, apart from special offers.

For other stuff I'm probably not the best consumer in the world (and proud of it) as I will happily browse currys or comet for say, a bluray player, and chat to the sales guy about it (and they are rarely clued up, offering misinformation - don't get me started on the hard sell for HDMI Monster cables) and then google/shop savvy for a cheaper supplier and walk out the store if I don't get that price.

But given the choice of a retailer round the corner and ebay (I haven't bought from a bad seller in 9 years, though I rarely buy anything expensive on ebay either) the difference in price, convenience and risk does play a big part. Really depends on the product. Though more often than not, it will come from an internet retailer that I have used before.

If I was buying another Whisper I think it would simply be a case of the closest dealer as price is pretty much of a muchness. But if there was an in store event with Whisper there, I might make a special trip. The problem being that these things rarely happen when I am a) in the market for a new bike and b) actually have the money to buy one!

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
John Lewis got a mention in there. Now, I'm not aware but has J Lewis ever sold ebikes? I would certainly consider buying from them as they are very competitive on price on most quality products and they frequently provide an extended warranty for free on many products.

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
John Lewis got a mention in there. Now, I'm not aware but has J Lewis ever sold ebikes? I would certainly consider buying from them as they are very competitive on price on most quality products and they frequently provide an extended warranty for free on many products.
I saw a Gocycle for sale in John Lewis Touchwood before Christamas.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Eddieo. Can you expand on that at all as an ebike enthusiast? Specifically, by reliability are you pointing towards stronger motors, or better weatherproofing etc etc?
Most come on here with electrical problems I guess, so more robust wiring, quality motors, controllers etc... would help, plus much better diagnostics on handlebars to let you know where the problem is. but I guess this will push the price up if the likes of BMW & VW take up production rather then the chinese

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
I meant John Lewis as a general retailer, but yes they've been stocking Go Cycles since last summer. Whether they've been selling them or not...

Buy Gocycle Electric Bicycle, White online at JohnLewis.com

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

Best Buy are the world's largest technology store, and they win over customers by having easy to navigate store, with clued-up employees who know what they're talking about and can help customers in a way they'll understand (and support them at home with the 'GeekSquad' - highly-trained "geeks" who can solve all your problems and gripes easily).
Meanwhile back in the land of reality and out of reach of the evil marketing monster the peasants slowly become aware that they really are revolting. :p