Drive Train

Rocket Raccoon

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2020
Has anyone come across an ebike that has the pedels coupled to a generator rather than to the wheels? (The generator then changing the battery which in turn powers the motor?) Its for a project under consideration. Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I haven't. It might help a bit in evening out the effort a cyclist needs to put in, but I'm pretty sure the inefficiencies involved would outweigh the benefits.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Never seen anything like that before.
I doubt you would be able to produce the power required to drive the motor.
Interesting idea though, were you thinking that the generator would directly feed the motor or feed a battery?

Rocket Raccoon

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2020
Dont shoot me, I know the losses make it seem a silly proposition. I am considering a velomobile type application. If a battery is not connected, then to the letter of the regs, would this not comply with uk requirements. Ie stop peddling and the motor stops???

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If my memory serves, on one of the many tv gadget type shows there was a shootout between several Human powered machines, One was a treadmill on wheels, as you walk the Belt moves and turns a generator that then powers a motor to drive the wheels. An interesting project But lacking in any detail (Typical of mainstream TV) and of no he to you :rolleyes:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
OK so you loose the drive train (sprockets, chain etc) and you loose the battery - so some 5Kg weight saving. How much would a generator weigh? I'm guessing that it would need gearing to the peddles to get a high enough spin speed, so adding some weight and mechanical resistance back in, added to the mechanical resistance of the generator itself.
How efficient are generators at converting mechanical energy to electrical energy?

Hang on! On a normal e bike the riders input (in watts) is added to that of the motor deriving it's energy from the battery.
In this system the riders input would be powering the motor with inherent losses. Got to be way less efficient and much harder for the rider in terms of distance and speed travelled - might as well ride a normal bike without all the extra weight.

Sorry - I've been locked away for too long:eek:

Reactions: Andy-Mat and MikeS

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
OK so you loose the drive train (sprockets, chain etc) and you loose the battery - so some 5Kg weight saving. How much would a generator weigh? I'm guessing that it would need gearing to the peddles to get a high enough spin speed, so adding some weight and mechanical resistance back in, added to the mechanical resistance of the generator itself.
How efficient are generators at converting mechanical energy to electrical energy?

Hang on! On a normal e bike the riders input (in watts) is added to that of the motor deriving it's energy from the battery.
In this system the riders input would be powering the motor with inherent losses. Got to be way less efficient and much harder for the rider in terms of distance and speed travelled - might as well ride a normal bike without all the extra weight.

Sorry - I've been locked away for too long:eek:
Well put!
The idea is so far away from reality, that only someone on a star system far, far away might appreciate it!
At first I thought it was an April fool joke that missed the deadline....
Andy

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Has anyone come across an ebike that has the pedels coupled to a generator rather than to the wheels? (The generator then changing the battery which in turn powers the motor?) Its for a project under consideration. Thanks
Do you mean something like the Bike2