Drosi Bikes Ruthin ` low carbon heroes `

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well the Welsh Government have called them this . A Business has been set up by two people in Ruthin , N Wales to convert bicycles to Ebikes under a Social Enterprise Scheme . To read about the Enterprise see www.drosibikes.org

Reactions: pentiumofborg

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
D

Deleted member 33385

They're converting bikes at cost price? How can they sustain this as an ongoing concern, particularly since they also have both quit their jobs? Maybe only the first few are free? Once people are hooked, that'd be the time to whip their business hats on. A lot of social enterprises get into horrible debt, and then someone runs away with all the money. I hope they do well.

Last edited:

daf1999

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2021
They're converting bikes at cost price? How can they sustain this as an ongoing concern, particularly since they also have both quit their jobs? Maybe only the first few are free? Once people are hooked, that'd be the time to whip their business hats on. A lot of social enterprises get into horrible debt, and then someone runs away with all the money. I hope they do well.
I'm not sure they are doing it at cost price are they? Seems to be ~£800 for a conversion. Don't see it being successful at that price given the prices of new budget ebikes.

Drosibikes

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2021
Hi all,

Thank you for posting about us.

We were also a bit confused by the article indicating we were converting bikes for cost price... We think we must have got our wires crossed at some point with the BBC.

Our ambition is to keep the e-bike conversions as affordable as possible whilst developing a sustainable (both financially and environmentally) business. In time we plan to offer a number of e-bike conversions to members of our local community who are in real need of transport and simply cant afford an e-bike let alone a car. We think this might be where the misquote stemmed from.

Drosi has been running for 6 months now with the e-bike conversion service proving very popular within our local area (Denbighshire). We're advocates of the Circular Economy and accept donated bikes which we refurbish and sell or break for parts to reuse. Once Covid restrictions allow, we intend to run volunteer sessions to work on the donated bikes as well as drop in sessions where members of the public can repair their bikes in a supported environment on a donation basis. We also undertake bike servicing and repairs as well as a Dr Bike service.

We're happy to answer questions, please feel free to get in touch via our contact details on our website.

Beth & Robin

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
... according to the Beeb:
I remember some years ago, whenever I talked to a certain friend about current films or a TV series, pretty much every single 'quality' piece of entertainment would be described with disdain, and all the things he said were excellent, turned out to be puerile drivel!
It ended up that if I wanted a quick shortcut as to whether something was worthy of my attention, I'd ask his advice .... then watch the complete opposite!!

I'm coming to the conclusion that one would be best served treating BBC news content in the same way ....

D

Deleted member 33385

Hi all,

Thank you for posting about us.

We were also a bit confused by the article indicating we were converting bikes for cost price... We think we must have got our wires crossed at some point with the BBC.

Our ambition is to keep the e-bike conversions as affordable as possible whilst developing a sustainable (both financially and environmentally) business. In time we plan to offer a number of e-bike conversions to members of our local community who are in real need of transport and simply cant afford an e-bike let alone a car. We think this might be where the misquote stemmed from.

Drosi has been running for 6 months now with the e-bike conversion service proving very popular within our local area (Denbighshire). We're advocates of the Circular Economy and accept donated bikes which we refurbish and sell or break for parts to reuse. Once Covid restrictions allow, we intend to run volunteer sessions to work on the donated bikes as well as drop in sessions where members of the public can repair their bikes in a supported environment on a donation basis. We also undertake bike servicing and repairs as well as a Dr Bike service.

We're happy to answer questions, please feel free to get in touch via our contact details on our website.

Beth & Robin
I think what you're doing is brilliant, and if I lived nearby I would have lent a hand. Who knows? If I can get a second battery charging in a bike trailer using a petrol generator, I might even drop by! It's worth getting the BBC to correct that article.

D

Deleted member 33385

Well the Welsh Government have called them this . A Business has been set up by two people in Ruthin , N Wales to convert bicycles to Ebikes under a Social Enterprise Scheme . To read about the Enterprise see www.drosibikes.org
The link to their website isn't going anywhere because the target domain domain name is missing the "i" after "dros" - it's this one:

www.drosibikes.org

(The first link was going to drosbikes.org, which doesn't exist)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this link works