Dutch bike lock

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
I had a new KT controller fitted to my Wife's Freego Regency bike. I was so impressed with it that I decided to buy myself a Regency and have it converted as well . I bought one in very good condition on Ebay. It arrived with everything ....except the Keys to the back wheel lock. Think they are called Dutch wheel Locks. Seller can't find them. Don't want to send it back as in excellent condition. Any suggestions?

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Hopefully it’s unlocked. You will struggle to get a key. Only option is to remove it and replace with a new lock. They normally bolt to the frame and the bolt heads are under clip on plastic covers.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Have you checked if the battery key will work the lock? It does on our Raleigh Motus. DON'T lock the lock until you are sure.

Dutch wheel locks (nurses locks) give minimal security. I've been meaning to take ours off since we bought the bike second hand three years ago, but haven't got round to it.

Many are open to pranksters locking your bike; not securely but enough to be a big nuisance to you if you don't have the key.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Unlocked. Think I can see how to dismantle it. Battery key won't fit. I live in Penzance & it is very quiet here. I like the quick convience of the lock

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
It’s easy to take off then, most are attached to the frame with two bolts.

It’s a good lock if you are just stopping for a rest or at a cafe/bar with the bike in sight. Any thieves would have to carry the bike and even I could run faster then them In that scenario. Pranksters can’t lock it without the key, which I have on me.

Not good for leaving out of sight if you go into a shop. For that situation I have a plugin chain that plugs into the lock and locks into place and can be looped around something secure like a lamppost or bike rack. I also have an alarm.

If leaving overnight somewhere then I have a large, chunky motorbike chain and lock together with a brake disc lock/alarm that I put on the front wheel.

If they get away with it after all that I have a hidden tracker fitted and I always have insurance as the final backup!

Reactions: Bikes4two

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Even if you have to resort to angle grinding it off, these locks are not overly expensive to replace, about £20 for a Trelock offering.

I looked at buying the dedicated plug-in cable accessory, but that relatively was expensive, I improvised.
I use a heavy [10mm] Kryptonite 2 plus metre cable, and simply ensure the bike lock's bolt threads through the loop. As others I would not leave it secured like that other than for the casual popping into a shop for a few minutes. Any longer I carry the battery in one of my panniers used as a shoulder bag.

Any views on the relative value in using the purpose made plug-in cables, Trelock for example offer?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Even if you have to resort to angle grinding it off, these locks are not overly expensive to replace, about £20 for a Trelock offering.

I looked at buying the dedicated plug-in cable accessory, but that relatively was expensive, I improvised.
I use a heavy [10mm] Kryptonite 2 plus metre cable, and simply ensure the bike lock's bolt threads through the loop. As others I would not leave it secured like that other than for the casual popping into a shop for a few minutes. Any longer I carry the battery in one of my panniers used as a shoulder bag.

Any views on the relative value in using the purpose made plug-in cables, Trelock for example offer?
It sounds like your idea with the cable would be almost as effective as the plugin. I guess if they manage to force open the frame lock the plugin cable/chain would still need to be overcome whereas it if is just threaded through then that would be released as well.

Most of the frame lock manufacturers do plugin cables as well as plugin chains and the cables are much cheaper and lighter.

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
When we have to leave our Motus bikes out of site, we try to find a cycle rack, face them in opposite directions, secure them together around the rack with the supplied AXA plug in chain and then another separate "curly" wire lock plus 2 small wire locks for the wheels. Remove batteries and computers and keep with us. Hopefully, there will be other bikes nearby that would be easier to steal.
At present I am looking for a mini folding trolley that I can use to carry the batteries as they are rather heavy to carry around.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The worst item to use to lock a bike up with is a cable of any type , simple small pliers can be used to snip through it and small bolt croppers would treat them like soft cheese. Decent U locks over 16mm thick are best and an angle grinder is then needed.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
The worst item to use to lock a bike up with is a cable of any type , simple small pliers can be used to snip through it and small bolt croppers would treat them like soft cheese. Decent U locks over 16mm thick are best and an angle grinder is then needed.
Jolly good pliers to get through those wires. A colleague had a similar lock and somebody tried bolt cutters on it and gave up. Would not be a problem for an angle grinder, of course.
Nothing is secure, just a question of making life too difficult for the casual thief. The determined thief will take it no matter what you use.