e-Bike carrier for Volvo V90

BJep

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2017
Headley Down
Hi There- I have a 2016 Volvo V90, and 2 eMTB's to carry. Even without batteries they are too heavy to get on top of the car, and the price of fitting a towbar (on the Volvo website) is north of £1K before I even buy a bike carrier!

So- can anyone recommend a rear mounted, robust, carrier? I have been using an old Halfords simple hatchback mounted carrier but the weight of a single e-bike has eroded the grip of the strap latches and I now have to retighten it every 20 miles or so.

Any advice appreciated,

Many thanks

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
To be honest I think you may have to settle on a tow ball carrier to safely carry the weight of two e bikes and not damage the car or bikes.
I was in a similar situation with my Mazda 6.
I sourced a very reasonable tow bar and electrics kit from these people:

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/volvo-towbars-westfalia-and-witter-towbars-1000s-in-stock/volvo-v90-towbars.html

£130 should do it with a single electrics basic socket.

Then I sourced a Thule carrier which was compact, lockable, foldable, and rated to carry 45kgs. The bikes also lock to the carrier with the same key that locks the carrier to the tow ball.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Thule-92501-VeloCompact-2-Bike-Towball-Carrier-7-Pin_91095.htm?sku=316489&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sXWsBtF6J_dc|pcrid|43133749973|product|316489|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJp9iR6BTPGVFd3OtSuiMot1m4b62QwPgiWi8rXW5Udt7ASIWOeUFEaAtT2EALw_wcB#

That was £285 delivered.

Then, I guess I am fortunate in having access to a reliable non vat registered mechanic who fitted the bar and electrics for £120. Probably an easier job on your one year old car than my 9 year old one.

So my total expenditure for what I consider the ultimate transportation for two heavy bikes was about £535 all up.

Hope this helps.

BJep

Oct 28, 2017
Headley Down
Thanks a lot for that advice- I agree I'll have to bite the bullet and get a tow bar. I'd certainly go for your carrier but I doubt I'll be up around County Durham anytime in next couple of months- do you intend to head south anytime?

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
Yes stay clear of volvo towbar and you should find something reasonable. All towbars have to comply to the same regulations, so a £100 is still safe, if fitted properly. I recommend getting this done professionally unless you like spending along time under cars, and have a big torque wrench.
You do want some vehicle specific electrics though on a nice newish car. Splicing could be expensive if it goes wrong. I managed to find some on Ebay for my XC60 for £100, So all in towbar for £300 if you shop wisely. Some more guidance on the link.
https://auxtail.com/towbars/
Auxtail make a nice 2 bike carrier too.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Have you priced the towbar on It's own and then get a different garage to fit? I'm sure the towbar for my shogun was £300 from mitsubishi and a couple hundred to fit at a local garage ( non dealer)

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
It depends on vehicle a bit. Some towbars are not so common. I suspect Mitsubishi fits this category, so price is higher. Fitting shouldn't take more than 2 hours for most experts. I did myself and took 3 ish + 1 hour for electrics. I recon on £100 for fitting based on 2 hours. £300 is probably best price and £400 is average. £500 is top end. Of course you may have bought a detachable towball which probably adds £50-100 too.

BJep

Oct 28, 2017
Headley Down
thanks for everyones comments. I wont be doing any of the work myself thats for sure so I am just looking into suppliers near me (down the A3 near Hindhead). I got a quote of just over £450 inc VAT for supplying and installing a detachable swan neck which I thought was good but they dont have the parts for a 13pin connection ATM.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Is your car the new V90?

If so why ruin the ship for a hapeth of tar? I negotiated a volvo detatchable towbar and the volvo /thule 3 bike carrier for under a grand in total Car is an XC60''

If you have cross traffic alert or blis these gave to be coded to turn off when the carrier is attached and wired .

BJep

Oct 28, 2017
Headley Down
It is indeed the new V90 and I love it :) but how did you get such a good price and from whom? Very very good points about cross traffic alert and BLIS...

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I got mine from MRG in Chippenham. But I believe the new models are electric deployable. Mine is manual clip in and lock with a key.
If I had a new car there’s no way I’d add anything but a Volvo approved unit. If I was buying a used car I’d shy clear of any cars with a cheap tow bar. I’d feel if the owner skimped this what else has he skimped on.

Just my opinion and I’m sure many disagree with me.