E-bike Catches Fire

Briggs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
I think the battery was located on the tube beneath the saddle. That appears to be the seat of the fire.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Why's this a concern- heat buildup?
No, they shake about in there, which can damage the wires. Also, the weight keeps banging against the metal pannier supports and soon wears through the pannier and any insubstantial protection around the battery until you end up with the bear cell-pack bouncing against the metal frame. If you're aware of these problems, you can mitigate against them, but some people just drop the battery in and see it sitting safely at the bottom of the pannier without realising that it's going to start jumping when they get moving.

Reactions: Bikes4two and Gavin

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think the battery was located on the tube beneath the saddle. That appears to be the seat of the fire.
His rack has pannier supports and it looks like what's left of a pannier under the wheel. I can imagine something like he sees smoke coming from the pannier with the battery in, so stops and makes an attempt to remove the panniers, but it starts to flare up, making him drop the bike, leaving it laying on the half-removed burning pannier. There's a lot of crumpled white stuff lying under that side. I've not seen anything like that around a battery, so could be what's left of the pannier stiffeners. It's only a guess. The battery might have been in a bag on the rack, which isn't as bad as in a pannier, but the same can happen if you don't tie it down properly.

Reactions: Bikes4two

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Not a good day for someone:-
I was for while now thinking of going the e-bikes route and was yesterday
before I seen this post I said im staying without bothering for an e- bike
because the batteries to replace them are far to pricey

and my bet is this guy whom bought this gear thinking of a bargain buy
but sadly for him that now he shall be wishing he hadn't cared for an e bike now .
I certainly feel without going for an e bike so much safer without the thought
when out riding of my bike blowing up on me .

But sadly price of them batteries to replace when the time comes
put me of going the e bike route .

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020

Is this you @budsy ?!

• :D
Reactions: budsy

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I was for while now thinking of going the e-bikes route and was yesterday
before I seen this post I said im staying without bothering for an e- bike
because the batteries to replace them are far to pricey

and my bet is this guy whom bought this gear thinking of a bargain buy
but sadly for him that now he shall be wishing he hadn't cared for an e bike now .
I certainly feel without going for an e bike so much safer without the thought
when out riding of my bike blowing up on me .

But sadly price of them batteries to replace when the time comes
put me of going the e bike route .
You been given answers why your battery replacement phobia is not based on any reality but you continue to ignore it and repeat the same thing.
Don't know why any of us bother.

• Agree
Reactions: budsy and sjpt

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020

Is this you @budsy ?!
No this is PP100 and his sidekick spjt who was vey reluctant I recall in going the e-bike route at one time in knowing batteries are expensive to replace plus u have to keep an eye on them batteries at all times ..For the record I can purchase 10 x most xpensive e bikes out there but I wont through my principles in that I feel they are over the top in regards their pricing of battery replacement ..

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020

Is this you @budsy ?!
Not me as i don't ride e- bikes :D .. But is this you Gav in link below
who rides an e-bike or did one time :D .. or are you still with us on this planet
called earth ?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I feel they are over the top in regards their pricing
If you're solely motivated by money then any vehicle will seem costly. Personally, I spend thousands on my ebike, motorbikes, campervan and boat every year, but I see that as an investment because of the fun I get in return.

The good things in life are never free- that's why it's so satisfying when you've worked hard to be able to enjoy them....

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
If you're solely motivated by money then any vehicle will seem costly. Personally, I spend thousands on my ebike, motorbikes, campervan and boat every year, but I see that as an investment because of the fun I get in return.

The good things in life are never free- that's why it's so satisfying when you've worked hard to be able to enjoy them....
I hav all I need own house in th country up on a hill ovr looking the bonnie banks of lochlomond where I also hav my own large boat and fishing is my no 1 fav past time

have my own car a rolls and happy with nice wife and children and so want for nothing
just believe though that bicycles that come from around £1000 up to around £10,000 is a bit ovr th top when a guy can buy a motor bike fir such in todays World

Now im off to do better things for now ..have a nice evening .

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
looking the bonnie banks of lochlomond
Very Nice- I'll be heading up to Balmaha in October in the campervan to rip up some Scottish soil on my ebike. I'll keep my eye out for a person in a Rolls, waving a fishing rod around whilst complaining about the cost of batteries....

Reactions: Jimod

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Very Nice- I'll be heading up to Balmaha in October in the campervan to rip up some Scottish soil on my ebike. I'll keep my eye out for a person in a Rolls, waving a fishing rod around whilst complaining about the cost of batteries....
Woosh to that ^ :D

Bablosik

Just Joined
Nov 24, 2021
Yeah, the man probably didn't check his e-bike. I don't know why people try to save money on such things because it makes no sense. Let's say you save money by buying an inexpensive e-bike, but then you'll need to spend money to fix it or buy another because of the first malfunction. But I'm sure that even if something like that happened to you, the fire department could always come to your rescue. They are professionals at their job and go through all the necessary medical conditions you can read about at https://firerecruitmentaustralia.com.au/firefighting-career-medical-reviews/ to keep working as a firefighter.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like a Bafang motor. Was it a self-built battery pack carried in a pannier bag? Are pre-made battery packs bolted to the rear rack safe long term?

I do wish such articles were more detailed...

Last edited: