e-Bike for a Motorhome

gullrock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2007
We are looking for a pair of decent electric bikes (preferably with Pedalec and full twist grip throttle ability) that we can carry on a bike rack fitted on the rear wall of our motohome.

As the motorhome has a large rear overhang it is important to keep the weight down as the overhang actually increases the downward pressure and hence back axle weight.

We do intend to remove the batteries to reduce weight anyway.

One further consideration is charging the batteries, is this possible using an inverter (powered form our 12v leisure battery) so that when away from home we do not need to find an electric hook up, we do have a 6o watt solar panel which should help.

Carrying the bikes inside (even if folding ones) is not a realiistic option for us.
Any advice on brands that would fit the bill would be much appreciated please.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Have you ever driven a camper with a overhang with bikes on the rear rack? You should try it as the handling can be trully awful, its the fulcrum effect of weight behind the rear axle.

also that weight up high and getting 2 x 20kg + bikes up there is difficult as well...Then comes the problem of keeping them up there. Racks and bikes on the backs of campers have been known to fly of just going over a speed bump and thieves have been known to just physically pull the lot of the back of a camper as well

wall mounted racks very flimsy, thin aluminium tube can be cut through easily, so there is no way I would leave two expensive bikes on one.

we have a large garage in our motorhome, but I am selling it and downsizing to a panel van conversion. will get a tow bar fitted and fit a decent towbar rack for 2 E bikes. That way, no heavy lifting, no damage to camper, and far more secure as we can use a heavy motorbike chain and lock through the tow bar frame.

as for bike choice I like Wisper bikes as they have good support. you may also like a Panasonic system bike, its really best to try as many as possible:)

gullrock

Aug 4, 2007
Have you ever driven a camper with a overhang with bikes on the rear rack? You should try it as the handling can be trully awful, its the fulcrum effect of weight behind the rear axle.
Hi, Yes I have driven some 30,000 miles in the Uk, France, Germany and Benelux with 2 hibrid Marin bikes (not particularly light) on a Fiamma rack on our Compass Avantguard over the last 3 years and have had no ill effects on the handling. Agreed the lift up is a bit tricky but at 6ft 4in I can usually manage it pretty well after I have got my breath back from an uphill bike ride!!

I will now have a look at the Whisper range thank you

Richard

gullrock

Aug 4, 2007
Dear Gullrock

Welcome to the Forum.

We find the perfect ebikes for people with Motorhomes is either the Kalkhoff Proconnect which is very light or the Kalkhoff Agattu which is very comfortable.

Most of our customers with motorhomes that by a pair tend to go for the Proconnect Gents and Agattu Stepthru for the lady.

Both of these bikes will fit comfortable on a conventional Thule carrier.

Please feel free to email me at scott@50cycles.com or telephone us free phone on 08000288116.

Best regards

Scott
Thanks for your. The Proconnect Gents looks quite possible as I am 6ft 4in and it only weighs 21.7kg (?does that include the battery?)
The Agatu ladies looks far too heavy at 25kg and I can't see any alternatives on the site
Regards

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
As you have 2 decent bikes already have you considered fitting a kit?

Wisper have the DaHub coming out soon, also well established kits from BionX, Ezee and Alien available.....

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
What is the load carrying capacity of your rack?

I am a motorhomer and I also do thousands of miles with my electric bikes on the back - including long stays in Spain during the winter where we do hundreds of miles on our bikes.

Because I used to have 2 heavy Powabykes I purchased a Thule, towbar mounted rack which is excellent. It is low and has a 80kg carrying capacity. I now have 2 Ezees and have even less weight issues.

My motorhome is quite large (4000kg loaded) and I notice no difference at all with the bikes on the back.

Personally I wouldn't hang a couple of electric bikes on the back wall of a camper. The Avantguard is of lightish construction. If you are going into Kalkhoff money, then put a towbar on the camper and do it properly. Do that and weight won't be an issue at all (and neither will loading!)

gullrock

Aug 4, 2007
What is the load carrying capacity of your rack?

I am a motorhomer and I also do thousands of miles with my electric bikes on the back - including long stays in Spain during the winter where we do hundreds of miles on our bikes.

Because I used to have 2 heavy Powabykes I purchased a Thule, towbar mounted rack which is excellent. It is low and has a 80kg carrying capacity. I now have 2 Ezees and have even less weight issues.

My motorhome is quite large (4000kg loaded) and I notice no difference at all with the bikes on the back.

Personally I wouldn't hang a couple of electric bikes on the back wall of a camper. The Avantguard is of lightish construction. If you are going into Kalkhoff money, then put a towbar on the camper and do it properly. Do that and weight won't be an issue at all (and neither will loading!)
I have a Carry Bike Pro with a carrying capacity of 60kg

gullrock

Aug 4, 2007
As you have 2 decent bikes already have you considered fitting a kit?

Wisper have the DaHub coming out soon, also well established kits from BionX, Ezee and Alien available.....
I shall have a look at that idea, have to do a Google search unless you already know where to go? Thanks for your help

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have a Carry Bike Pro with a carrying capacity of 60kg
So if you are happy with 60kg hanging on the back of a Compass Avantguard then pretty well any pair of electric bikes will do the job but I wouldn't do it.

Ignoring the capacity of the bike rack for the moment, ask yourself what weight would you be happy with on there? :confused:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I shall have a look at that idea, have to do a Google search unless you already know where to go? Thanks for your help
Wisper and Onbike (ezee) have links on this site? over on the righthand side....

gullrock

Aug 4, 2007
So if you are happy with 60kg hanging on the back of a Compass Avantguard then pretty well any pair of electric bikes will do the job but I wouldn't do it.

Ignoring the capacity of the bike rack for the moment, ask yourself what weight would you be happy with on there? :confused:
I shall have a look at fitting a tow bar thanks.

I have driven some 30,000 miles in the Uk, France, Germany and Benelux with 2 hybrid Marin bikes (not particularly light) on a Fiamma rack on our Compass Avantguard over the last 3 years and have had no ill effects on the handling. As mine is a rear lounge version the rear seat (against the rear window) is fitted with seat belts so I do just wonder what the difference is between a couple of adults sitting right at the back compared to a couple of bikes which should be a good bit lighter. (I must say we don't as a rule carry passengers because on the rare occasion we have, I am informed the ride is anything but good!!)

On checking the fitting of the Fiamma rack, it is attached to 2 fairly heavy cross members both of which extend the whole width of the van, so I would hope that the weight is fairly well spread?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"On checking the fitting of the Fiamma rack, it is attached to 2 fairly heavy cross members both of which extend the whole width of the van, so I would hope that the weight is fairly well spread?"

But the back wall, especially one with a large window in it is not that strong in the first place...but my main concerns are security. tow bar a far better idea and Thule have an e bike specific tow bar rack out now as well.