E-Bike for Short Adult Size 4'10" / 147Cm. Advice

Melianteas

Just Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Hi everyone

I need some advice,
I’m looking for an e-bike for myself to go to work cycling through a few uphill Scottish roads and streets.
Using the Cycle to Work Scheme. My top budget I think it's under £1000 although I'd rather prefer to spend much less.
I’ve been looking everywhere but all the e-bikes I can find are kinda big. I had a mountain bike but with the 26" wheels was very uncomfortable to me when I had to stop.

I am 147 Cm tall or 4’10”. I just measured my leg and my inside leg is 26” maybe 25” I do not mind to reach the ground with my tip toes it's what I've been doing all my life.

I've been surfing for several months ago, almost a year now. According to many charts, the perfect bike for me would be a 14” frame which it seems no one sells unless it's no electric and for kids…
Also, I've been told better if I look for 20" wheels. Normally these are the foldable bikes but sadly most of them I do not like the design.
My preference is a Classic/Dutch design or very similar and with Step-Through Style Frame.

Doing my research I found the next ones but because the frames sizes I'm wondering if they are suitable for:

*Frame 17"
FreeGo Folding Electric bike £ 859
RooDog Bliss £ 949

* Frame 16.5"
Juicy Bike Bike Compact Click £ 949 @JuicyBike @E-Bikes Direct

* Frame 16"
Byocycle Chameleon LS £ 864.99 (very nice price)No blue stock in @E-Bikes Direct

*Frame not specified
Falcon Flux £789
PowaCycle Lynx LPX 789.99 (frame adult sized)

*Frame 13" Sorry but... I'm not convinced by this one.
Basis Osprey £664.69

Thanks in advance.

When I was a kid I had a BH Folding Bike (Beistegui Hermanos) and although the wheels were size 20" they do not look so little, nor even the bike. It's an old bike that still works perfectly suitable for kids to adults in all sizes. Simply raising the seat and handlebar wich had a very long bar. It Was advertised: "A single Bike for all the family" It's from the '80s in Spain.
Wish manufacturers go back to make them with long bars

Here is a picture so you can have an idea. BH_plegable.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ebikes dire t have this one and some others with 24" wheels. The bikes with 24" wheels are obviously lower than ones with 26" wheels specially for short peple.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/freego/freego-regency-classic-electric-bike-16ah-24-wheel

Freego are a well knosn brand that has recently gone bust, but Ebikesdirect bought their stock and spare parts. These sort of electric bikes are easy to fix even if you can't get the right spare parts because they're all standard parts that you can buy from a number of sources.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
For the benefit of anybody looking for a new/used bike at a reduced price (hopefully), FreeGo are well worth a look on ebay, Gumtree etc and Ebikes Direct of course:
https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/search/freego/

As vfr400 has pointed out:
Freego are a well known brand that has recently gone bust, but Ebikesdirect bought their stock and spare parts. These sort of electric bikes are easy to fix even if you can't get the right spare parts because they're all standard parts that you can buy from a number of sources.

Reactions: Melianteas

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You should be able to try a Compact in Glasgow at M8 Cycles. Definitely important to be able to give any purchase a try before you buy.

Reactions: Melianteas