E bike general discussion and recommendations

eduard78

Just Joined
May 3, 2020
Hi, one year ago I just to have a hub drive motor ebike and now I am thinking to change to mid drive motor ebike. On the hub drive I haven’t got used to change gears so much as if there was a hill coming up I will switch to highest assist mode. Will for the mid drive motor be the same just switching the highest assist mode on hills or is not enough and I have to change gear as well (to lower )?
Lastly what e-bike would u recommend under £2000 which in case there’s an issue with it I can always find apare parts to replace?
thanks.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
A Crank Drive Motor will not sort out your present gear changing problem , it will be worse . The device linked to your gear changing which cuts the Motor is clunky and is inclined to lose your momentum . I find it is better to increase the Assist Level rather than change down for some hills . I have 3 Ebikes , a front hub motor , a crank motor and a rear hub motor . The hub motors are nicer to ride and control .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, one year ago I just to have a hub drive motor ebike and now I am thinking to change to mid drive motor ebike. On the hub drive I haven’t got used to change gears so much as if there was a hill coming up I will switch to highest assist mode. Will for the mid drive motor be the same just switching the highest assist mode on hills or is not enough and I have to change gear as well (to lower )?
Lastly what e-bike would u recommend under £2000 which in case there’s an issue with it I can always find apare parts to replace?
thanks.
When you have a crank motor you have to be in the right gear all the time. it's completely different to a hub-motor. From what you're saying, a crank motor would be a bad choice.

Woosh, Wisper and Juicy would be good choices. Any cheap Chinese bike would be the easiest to get spares for in the future. Even if you couldn't get the right parts, you can mix and match parts, use alternatives and upgrade, as they all work basically the same.

What is it about your last bike that you want to improve?

Reactions: Andy-Mat

eduard78

Just Joined
May 3, 2020
When you have a crank motor you have to be in the right gear all the time. it's completely different to a hub-motor. From what you're saying, a crank motor would be a bad choice.

Woosh, Wisper and Juicy would be good choices. Any cheap Chinese bike would be the easiest to get spares for in the future. Even if you couldn't get the right parts, you can mix and match parts, use alternatives and upgrade, as they all work basically the same.

What is it about your last bike that you want to improve?
No I had an accident with it and it’s completely broken. What if I leave the gear level in the middle (not to high or low) and just increase the assist level will that make a difference on mid-drive motor on a ebike when going uphill?
I am looking to buy a mountain ebike but there’s no many options with hub motors. That’s the reason why I want to switch to mid-drive motor

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
thanks.
On a good crank drive bike you could get up most things just using the modes say on a middling gear of around 16/36. My Bosch will get up most things in turbo in this gear but this will put unnecessary strain on the motor, use a lot of battery and leave you with no headroom. Better to learn how to change gears, not difficult.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Would you drive a car up a slow steep hill in the same gear you use for cruising? It's the same with a mid drive bike. You must be in the right gear for the motor not to strain.
Stick with rear hub, easier to ride and more reliable for commuting.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I think the solution might be to overcome your gear-changing issues, rather than trying to work around it with a motor/design change.
Being able to use the gears correctly will put less stress on your knees and body in general, and make your cycling a little more efficient (and then add in the motor - hey presto!)
Is there something specific about gear-changing that irritates you, eduard78?

Last edited:

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
How about Volt EBike with Shimano Steps mid drive , Shimano internal gears that will change automatically if you so wish or manual at the press of a button.