E-Bike Indicators

Tubaman

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2009
Does anyone make any decent front/rear indicators for e-bikes or any bikes that are worth looking at ?

Googled this a few nights ago & not really found much, maybe because most cyclists feel they would be a waste of time ?

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Does anyone make any decent front/rear indicators for e-bikes or any bikes that are worth looking at ?

Googled this a few nights ago & not really found much, maybe because most cyclists feel they would be a waste of time ?
Winkku are the new kids on the block. Dont know how good theyd be. Theres been half a dozen failed systems made and dozens of homebrew projects.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I don't think a right hand indicator is a waste of time and the Winkku stuff looks quite good. Apart from the fact my bars won't take it I don't want something else big and heavy to remove from my bike and carry around when I park, other than that I'd have one if it didn't look so silly.

murphy61

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 19, 2008
north coast of ireland
I have a right hand winkku and I'm very pleased with it. The switch is a little sensitive though, I've been known to switch it on or off accidentally when wearing gloves. I'd definitely reccommend it though. The lights on it are good as well, combined with my front and rear flashing leds, and standard Agattu lights, some friends who overtook me recently said I was the best lit cyclist they'd ever seen!

lolbees

Dec 16, 2008
I've been using Bicygnals on my Greenedge Silverado for 3 months now and they work really well. There's always a good wireless connection and I have found them useful for pulling out behind stationary buses in traffic on my way to work.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London

We do left and right Winkkus, free delivery, batteries included

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think a right hand indicator is a waste of time and the Winkku stuff looks quite good. Apart from the fact my bars won't take it I don't want something else big and heavy to remove from my bike and carry around when I park, other than that I'd have one if it didn't look so silly.
I saw Winkku at last years bike show,they do different fixings I think

Theyre on 0845 310 2440 if you want to ask them

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I've recently purchased one of these for my pro Connect (direct from Winkku - marginally cheaper and supporting the small(est) man). There are EXCELLENT in late afternnon conditions etc. but I find they are not that distintive in really bright sunlight. I like the way they flip round to allow passage alongside cars etc in narrow queues.

One added benefit I've notice is that I'm being given a much wider berth by traffic. I really believe I'm that much more visible to traffic. It's either that or they know I've got a 115 decibel Airzound horn fitted as well.

The third benefit is I can see where Mrs Oriteroom has got to behind on her Pro Connect and when I need to slow up for her to catch up. I think she likes to view countryside more that pushing the pedals. I'm going to get her a Winnku as well.

Regards.

Mike

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
My e-bike has indicators.

They are called 'arms'.

They need no special fixings and work very reliably. I stick Hi-viz gloves on the end of them in the dark.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
My e-bike has indicators.

They are called 'arms'.

They need no special fixings and work very reliably. I stick Hi-viz gloves on the end of them in the dark.
They also prevent you from using one of your brakes while signalling, and Hi-Viz is going to do nothing at all in the dark, you need reflective gear and even then you are reliant on car headlights hitting your hand.

I'm not knocking your suggestion, it's just that I've personally found that there is a million miles of difference at night between indicators and reflective gloves.

I also find that cars waiting to pull out from the junction you are about to turn right in to seem to have great difficulty in seeing a right hand signal. I'm not sure why but I think it may be to do with the angles. I never had this problem with my Bicygnals however. Unfortunately the front bracket on the Bicygnals is so flimsy it is next to useless and I had three snap in the space of a couple of months.

In the end I've given up on indicators but it has really brought home to me how much inferior hand signals are.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
In the end I've given up on indicators but it has really brought home to me how much inferior hand signals are.
Thats my opinion as well. While we dont have indicators we are second class citizens on the road. Hand signals are ok in some situations but are limited.

PS:did you stop using them cos the bracket was dreadful? or just gave up on the idea?

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I've got a Winku, but I'm not sure how effective it is. In bright daylight the lights don't stand out, and even in lower light condiitons I can't help wondering if drivers recognise it as being an indicator.

If they're not expecting to see indicators on a bike do they regerster them as such? Especially considering that bikes often use flashing lights simply to make themselves more visible.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I don't like those for a few reasons, one I just noticed being the fixed width and the question of reaching the switches if you have wide bars.
And just why make it so complex that you need a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver in the first place!?!? :confused: What's wrong with a few strategically placed wires?

timdw

Mar 6, 2009
And just why make it so complex that you need a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver in the first place!?!? :confused: What's wrong with a few strategically placed wires?

Personally, I've got more than one bike I'd like to use them on (as in share it between the bikes). What's so complex about a wireless system? I don't know for sure but I doubt it's something you need to make any effort over, quite the reverse.

Last edited:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Personally, I've got more than one bike I'd like to use them on.
OK I can see that. It would make changing from bike to bike a bit easier.

What's so complex about a wireless system?
Serious amounts of circuitry! Having to worry about interference from other units, conforming to radio interference regulations, health & safety about having a small microwave attached to the handlebars etc. OK you as a consumer don't need to worry, but the manufacturer certainly did === expense. Anyway that's all a bit off topic...

timdw

Mar 6, 2009
Being 2.4GHz I would guess it's bluetooth based, so off the shelf stuff I would imagine. If so, you could control it with your phone or laptop 8) :D

goeco ireland

Jan 16, 2009
Personally, I've got more than one bike I'd like to use them on (as in share it between the bikes). What's so complex about a wireless system? I don't know for sure but I doubt it's something you need to make any effort over, quite the reverse.
timdw, Goeco here, thanks for looking out for us, its always a nice feeling when someone thinks your doing the correct thing, If you send me an email goeco@eircom.net I will send you a set of bicygnals on us so you dont have to keep swapping what you have. Thanks again & I hope all the questions are now answered for our friend who started the thread. Marty