E-bike lifter

Alandelonge

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2024
Does anyone know of any pedelec lifts to raise and lower the e-bike on a upright bike rack?
I no longer have the arm capacity for the weight.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Does anyone know of any pedelec lifts to raise and lower the e-bike on a upright bike rack?
I no longer have the arm capacity for the weight.
You can buy cheap hoists on Ebay and Amazon. They've had them in Aldi too when they do bike stuff. You could easily make your own out of normal pulleys and a bit of rope.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And from the parts how would YOU build it ???
4 pulleys - two fixed above and two moving with the hooks, the same as the Ebay Kayak and bike ones. A self-cleating pulley would be useful, like the one in the bike hoist, but that would probably be quite expensive if you bought it on its own from a chandler or wherever.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think saneagle is talking about a bike lift to the roof (like a washing dryer), but OP is after a lift to a cartop bike rack.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Telehandler ?
s-l1600.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think saneagle is talking about a bike lift to the roof (like a washing dryer), but OP is after a lift to a cartop bike rack.
He didn't say what type of rack. Would someone want to put an electric bike on the roof of a car? I don't think I've ever seen that.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
He didn't say what type of rack. Would someone want to put an electric bike on the roof of a car? I don't think I've ever seen that.
He says upright bike rack. I can only think of a roof rack matching that description; but maybe I jumped to a conclusion.

We put our Motus on the roof once; not with a rack but just flat and tied down to the roof rails. Very short journey rescuing it after a puncture (before we fitted the MPs). I'd be pretty leery about an ebike on the roof if it looked at all rainy; water travelling at an effective 70mph has ways of getting into things. Otherwise I don't see issue other than the lifting weight that concerns the OP. I'd remove the battery, increasing the risk of water getting in somewhere if it did rain.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I used to have an upright bike rack mounted on the wall in my garage.

Not sure if the OP is trying to do this or mount it on their car. If it’s in the garage then a hoist would be useful. If on the back of a car then that’s more problematic.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
4 pulleys - two fixed above and two moving with the hooks, the same as the Ebay Kayak and bike ones. A self-cleating pulley would be useful, like the one in the bike hoist, but that would probably be quite expensive if you bought it on its own from a chandler or wherever.

And how would you build the supporting frame and attach it to what ?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
He says upright bike rack. I can only think of a roof rack matching that description; but maybe I jumped to a conclusion.

We put our Motus on the roof once; not with a rack but just flat and tied down to the roof rails. Very short journey rescuing it after a puncture (before we fitted the MPs). I'd be pretty leery about an ebike on the roof if it looked at all rainy; water travelling at an effective 70mph has ways of getting into things. Otherwise I don't see issue other than the lifting weight that concerns the OP. I'd remove the battery, increasing the risk of water getting in somewhere if it did rain.
I put one on my roof, Mitsubishi eclipse cross SAWD, 12000 miles

.Img_1583.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And how would you build the supporting frame and attach it to what ?
I'd use an existing one, like the ceiling, garage wall, house wall or back of a motorhome/van/caravan. It depends where the bike needs to be lifted, what it needs to be lifted onto and why.

Alandelonge

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2024
I have to thanks to all for the contribution... in the mean time i find this one

The real problem with this Pender e-Bike Lift is the price!!! Excessive price for me!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Still a hefty price at £400, but cheaper than the Pender

Much more basic, designed for tandems but could probably be adapted; around £250
Looks as if it still needs some arm lifting capacity, but at least it's controlled so maybe manageable for you?

~~~
Even more basic.
One thing we tried with the tandem was to make a trivial wooden frame (basically just two poles) and lash the tandem to it on the ground. This was then easy for two people (both over 70) to lift over the car (one person each end), and secure to the roof bars. It wasn't upright but lay sideways. At that point we decided the tandem was just too long for the fairly short car (Roomster) so we never deployed it

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have to thanks to all for the contribution... in the mean time i find this one

The real problem with this Pender e-Bike Lift is the price!!! Excessive price for me!
The cost of buying it will be nothing compared with the cost of the extra fuel you'd use with the bike on the roof. When I put a bike on the back of my car fuel consumption went down from 60 mpg to 30 mpg, so I chucked the rack and put my bike inside the car to get my 60 mpg back again. Also, if it rains, you'd be jet-washing your bike at 50 mph, which would bring about its demise pretty soon.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you are thinking of the Helton (and still reading this thread)
I doubt it will sell that that £179, but you could make an offer.

As saneagle says, the increased fuel consumption will be massive. (That was another reason we gave up the idea of putting our tandem on our roof, which I'd forgotten to mention in earlier post. Especially as it would have been on the car for the return journey from the South of England to North West Scotland. I had mentioned rain.)