E-bike lights

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Hi

I am still awaiting/looking for an e-bike and have noticed the majority have LED lights.

This sounds great but I have very poor night vision due to Diabetes complications and wanted to know whether or not I would also need a high powered front light and if so which would be best/brightest ?

I currently use 2 x Cateye HL-EL610 which to be honest are fine for
People to see me but not good enough to see the road clear.

Thanks again all

Andrew Borrett
My Pump - Diabetes Product Information and Links - Welcome to My Pump Website !!!

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I just got a Cateye HL-EL610rc and can't praise it enough. Half my commute is on unlit rural roads and I can now see exactly where I'm going. If you genuinely need a better light than that, then I think you're going to need to dig extremely deep.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use something similar to this I have had it for over 2 years now and it still works very well with no noticeable deterioration of the battery or LED. The one on sale looks better than mine, certainly the light output is higher.

Or if you wanted even more light, this could be what you are looking for.

To be honest, my 700 lumen light illuminates the road far enough ahead to ride at 20 mph in safety.

I have bought a fair bit of treasure from Deal Extreme and never had a problem. They can be slow to deliver, but it has always arrived and I have never had to pay any import duty.

Crossed with NRG. There you are two recommendations!

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Busch & Müller KG

Hi

Has anyone out there come across a cycle light brand called Busch & Müller KG as they look very impressive if not a little expensive. If I was just riding a normal road cycle the light I currently use would probably suffice but as I will be using an e-bike thought something bright would be needed. My 2 Cateye lights make me seen but do not really light the road enough for my poor night vision.

As I am looking to purchase an e-bike in January I really need a decent light and appreciate your recommendations so far.

Thanks again
Andrew

My Pump - Diabetes Product Information and Links - Welcome to My Pump Website !!!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi

Has anyone out there come across a cycle light brand called Busch & Müller KG as they look very impressive if not a little expensive. If I was just riding a normal road cycle the light I currently use would probably suffice but as I will be using an e-bike thought something bright would be needed. My 2 Cateye lights make me seen but do not really light the road enough for my poor night vision.!!![/url]
I have Busch & Muller lights on my bike. They're rubbish.

My B&Ms are the old bulb type, not fitted with LEDs. From what I hear, the LED variant is much much better, giving a useful light output. I think these LED B&Ms are fitted as standard to some Kalkhoff bikes.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
My 2 Cateye lights make me seen but do not really light the road enough for my poor night vision.
To get an idea of how bright you need the lights to be, when you're a passenger in a car at night can you see clearly if the headlights are dipped?

I got myself a set of Magicshine MJ-816 1400 Lumens lights (mentioned above) last week, with all three lights on it's comparable to but not quite as bright as dipped headlights on a car.

If I was just riding a normal road cycle the light I currently use would probably suffice but as I will be using an e-bike thought something bright would be needed.
Is there any particular reason why you think you would need brighter lights for an e-bike? E-bikes typically have lower top speeds than unassisted bikes because the motor and battery are effectively dead weight when your riding at over 17 mph (it's their average speeds that are higher), so if you can cycle at normal speed with your current lights then they should be good enough for e-biking.

Patrick

Sensate

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2010
B&M lights

Hey Andrew:

I've been running Busch & Muller Cyo IQ LED lights and find them exceptionally bright.

I had no idea how bright until riding on a rather narrow bike path recently. An oncoming bicyclist called out, complaining bitterly about the brightness. As a result, I tilted the light a little lower, and now adjust it's aim according to conditions.

Perhaps the best thing is to find a way to test ride some bikes with lights, as your own eyes will be the most informative test.

Best,

Mark

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Is your night vision so impared that you would not be able to drive a car at night. If this is the case should you be riding a bike at night
Hi Dan, correct I am unable to drive a car at night due to poor night vision but with riding a cycle the lights are literally right in front of you on the road which is another reason I need a bright light.

Not forgetting my speed is only a max of 15 mph where as in a car it could be 60 mph.

Thanks again.

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Hi Mark

Thanks for the info.

I have been looking at the Exposure MaXx-D Mk3 and also the Busch & Müller KG Big Bang which are both expensive but very bright indeed.

Whichever light I choose would be tilted towards the road - my 2 Cateye lights just do not pack enough power for illuminating the road in front.

I suppose I will keep looking but these are two great contenders.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Hey Andrew:

I've been running Busch & Muller Cyo IQ LED lights and find them exceptionally bright.

I had no idea how bright until riding on a rather narrow bike path recently. An oncoming bicyclist called out, complaining bitterly about the brightness. As a result, I tilted the light a little lower, and now adjust it's aim according to conditions.

Perhaps the best thing is to find a way to test ride some bikes with lights, as your own eyes will be the most informative test.

Best,

Mark

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Hi Dan, correct I am unable to drive a car at night due to poor night vision but with riding a cycle the lights are literally right in front of you on the road which is another reason I need a bright light.

Not forgetting my speed is only a max of 15 mph where as in a car it could be 60 mph.

Thanks again.
not being funny pump, but i think you should consider other road users before you decide to ride at night

Dan

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Is your night vision so impared that you would not be able to drive a car at night. If this is the case should you be riding a bike at night
If using extra bright cycling lights compensates for a visual impairment to the extent that the rider's view is as good as a cyclist with normal vision using standard bike lights then I don't see what the problem is (as long as the lights are so bright that they dazzle other road users).

Looking at it another way, if a set of bicycle lights wouldn't be bright enough to use as car headlights at night should you be cycling at night with them?

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
If using extra bright cycling lights compensates for a visual impairment to the extent that the rider's view is as good as a cyclist with normal vision using standard bike lights then I don't see what the problem is (as long as the lights are so bright that they dazzle other road users).

Looking at it another way, if a set of bicycle lights wouldn't be bright enough to use as car headlights at night should you be cycling at night with them?
Thanks Patrick,

If I had car headlights on my bike all would be well but maybe a bit heavy ha ha !

Cycling during the day for me is fine but my current lights do not light the road directly in front of me ie not powerful enough. Even if I shine the lights directly down on the road the spread is very small almost like a pocket torch in fact. They work fine for people to see me but not so much for night riding as I have seen some cyclists with some great lights which light a fair proportion of the road in front. I know some cycle lights are especially designed not to glare car drivers as well.

Thanks all for the advice.

Andrew