E-Bike recommendations for my wife with MS

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Her balance is compromised and she has lost her confidence. A step-through bike, possibly with stabilisers is my first idea, but it would need to be packed into the back of a VW Golf. A tricycle is another idea but packing that into a Golf would be even more difficult. Has anyone any ideas/experiences and who could recommend a make/model?

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Stabilisers wouldn’t work. They stop you from leaning over to go round corners. They're for kids that go very slow and have a low centre of gravity. Even trikes can be dangerous, as you have to steer the opposite way to go round corners, so they can take some time to adjust your brain. Just about everybody that I know, who tried a trike, fell off before they got used to it. Some got badly injured, like broken shoulder, etc. Sorry for the bad news. The only solution I can think of is to find a bike with the lowest centre of gravity or add a double gyroscope, like thes have:

Last edited:

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks both. I agree with the inherent 'issues' with trikes and/or stabilisers but we would only be going on canal paths or old railway tracks. The Roodog seems ideal - esp the 'Bliss' model. Out-of-stock at present (of course); she would need to trial it first. Are there any other similar models? The MS Trust has various links to other bikes -but none that look as suitable as the 'Bliss'. Has anyone got one?
Thanks again.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Doing a quick search on Google, other options include:

Another option is buy a standard folding trike and have a Swytch electric conversion done.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem with trikes is that they have difficulty with uneven surfaces, like where you want to go. When an outside wheel goes over a bump, it tips the wrole trike. That tipping can be very violent if the left wheel gows over a bump soon after the right one. Trikes are not too bad on even surface, like roads and normal foot-paths/cycle lanes as long as there's no camber. I hope you don't think I'm trying to spoil things for you. I'm just trying to make sure that you don't end up disappointed.

Recumbent trikes with the two wheels at the front are the safest due to their low c of g and you can see where the wheels are going, so know when to expect tipping, but they're very expensive

Reactions: DiggyGun

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Maybe a step through with small wheels may help with her confidence? She will be nearer to the ground riding on a smaller frame. I only base this idea on the face that when i tried out a 28" wheeled bike as against my usual 26" i found it most alarming! I assume that the reverse is probably true as well. There are plenty of small wheeled bikes on the market, some of which are foldable and all of which are step through.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Maybe a step through with small wheels may help with her confidence? She will be nearer to the ground riding on a smaller frame. I only base this idea on the face that when i tried out a 28" wheeled bike as against my usual 26" i found it most alarming! I assume that the reverse is probably true as well. There are plenty of small wheeled bikes on the market, some of which are foldable and all of which are step through.
Thanks Lancslass.

Understood...and I agree

Reactions: Perseus

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Would something like this:
be worth considering?

You could have a 'normal' e-bike and convert it to a three wheeler quite easily.

Reactions: Nealh

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Would something like this:
be worth considering?

You could have a 'normal' e-bike and convert it to a three wheeler quite easily.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks Perseus; so sorry to hear about your 'issues'. Thanks for the link - I'll pass it on to my wife.
(She's not taking all my prompting very well at present - so may need to 'back-off'.)

You've all been so kind on this forum - many thanks again. Google isn't alway one's friend when searching for such esoteric items. Experience and personal recommendations are so much better!

Reactions: Soliour