E-Bike Security

pauls

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
Just bought a Carrera Crossfuse and got it insured. It was a condition of the insurance that the bike be padlocked to an immovable object with a Sold Secure Silver standard lock and chain (which is massive!). My question is this: if I park the bike and padlock it, what do I do with the battery, sadle bag, mobile phone mount and remote control for my Bluetooth helmet? Do I have to remove all that stuff every time I park the bike, and carry it all with me?? Why don't Bosch incorporate a secure loop on the battery so that the chain can be fed through the battery as well as the bike when it is left? Surely the removable battery is the most likely thing to be stolen?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Isn't your battery locked to your bike ?
Most require a key to remove them

pauls

Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
Isn't your battery locked to your bike ?
Most require a key to remove them
Yes, the battery locks onto the bike but I'm not sure how secure that small lock is. It's certainly not as secure as the Sold Secure Silver one!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Yes, the battery locks onto the bike but I'm not sure how secure that small lock is. It's certainly not as secure as the Sold Secure Silver one!
Totally agree
but in a lot of cases they would damage the battery removing the lock so it would be useless to them
It does depend a lot on the bike thou as there is so many different locks and ways of locking the batteries to the bikes.

pauls

Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
Totally agree
but in a lot of cases they would damage the battery removing the lock so it would be useless to them
It does depend a lot on the bike thou as there is so many different locks and ways of locking the batteries to the bikes.
What would be clever is if Bosch software hard-coded the battery to the original motor so the battery will not work on another bike.

Reactions: budsy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What would be clever is if Bosch software hard-coded the battery to the original motor so the battery will not work on another bike.
There are some pros with that, but an awful lot of cons as well.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Best security if you leave your bike in Town or at the station is a good lock and an old very used bike that you have kept in good working order but basically looks crap.
Oxygen Emate City 001.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Georgehenry your bike is nick able just for the snazzy bell :D.

But of course you are right a well maintained not so nice bike is of more value for piece of mind then a nice pristine bike as in the long run it will save a lot of money and worries of theft.

My 700c Norco in drab Grey is uncleaned and well maintained, to the average scroat not very appealing with pannier rack, mudguards, mismatched rims and tyres etc,etc.
But working wise is v.good as I check wheel truing, brakes and carry out bearing maintenance as and when required.