guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You get about 50% more miles out of the tsdz2 compared to the bbs01 because it makes you pedal.
Do you mean I'd actually have to make an effort? :eek: And... that's yet another reason I will never buy a TSDZ2! (although it's great that others have them, and are happy with that product {I hasten to add ;) }).

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

TripHazard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 5, 2018
Southampton
You'll get less voltage sag on long steep hills, with a big battery pack. Mine's a 19.2ah and worth lugging around for that reason alone - also good for longevity, because as I understand it, the individual cells are less stressed in larger cell packs (if they're not being made to discharge at too high amps). I hope.
That was my thought when I bought it, however most my rides don't come close to using much out of it. I'm just hard to please, if I'd gone smaller I'd probably be wishing I went bigger! I only managed around 40 miles of a charge, I guess letting lots of my work colleagues try it out on turbo was a mistake. It took 30 miles for one light to go off the display then the rest all went in 10 miles.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That was my thought when I bought it, however most my rides don't come close to using much out of it. I'm just hard to please, if I'd gone smaller I'd probably be wishing I went bigger! I only managed around 40 miles of a charge, I guess letting lots of my work colleagues try it out on turbo was a mistake. It took 30 miles for one light to go off the display then the rest all went in 10 miles.
My battery yields about 43 miles at very high assistance, or a couple of miles more using slightly less amps. My legs have grown to the size of tree trunks since I got the battery a couple of thousand miles ago (not really, they're now less thin twigs), therefore I might manage with a lower PAS level for longer range. In a year or several, you'll be glad when 80% of your 20ah battery capacity still equates to a useful number of miles, as capacity diminishes with recharges.

Reactions: TripHazard

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Really?? you notice lesser efficiency due to drag on an ebike going at 15mph ???

Or are you talking about absolute range? - remembering that one of the options the OP was talking about had only a 300wh battery, and most of the others were 400Wh - do you REALLY think the reaction hybrid's 'higher profile' is going to make THAT much difference in efficiency??
Oh .. and bear in mind also that about 90% of the people posting here will put on some kind of handlebar riser to make the bike more comfortable to ride if the bike doesn't already have this kind of 'higher profile' to start with ;-)
Both range and efficiency. The OP is talking about taking the bikes on longer rides and I have made an assumption that the OP will go above the 15mph limit at times. The lower profile city bike will be more efficient at that speed, if only marginally.

Do 90% of riders use riser bars? I want to get mine lower.

Edwards35

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2022
YMMV, but I'd get the Cube reaction hybrid for certain. Solid bike, motor with plenty of power to tackle ANY hill and the 500wh battery is really the deal clincher. You've ticked all the main boxes there. Most of the other options you quoted had to make some compromise somewhere. That cube doesn't.

One could say I have a bias, as my main commuting bike is actually an older model reaction hybrid to which I've added a rear rack and bag with fold out panniers, and a front mudguard. The latter being VERY cheap and easy to fit (attaches up into the crown (?) of the suspension fork where there is a large opening), and the former meaning you don't actually need a rear mudguard!
I put fat, but non mountain bike wheels on it, and the
comfort is far superior for gravel and trails etc than a normal hybrid, and the slight extra weight that you pay for it being a proper mountain bike becomes irrelevant when you have a motor.
But bias is probably the wrong term, because if something happened to my Cube and I had to go looking for another bike of the same type to replace it ... I'd probably just end up coming to the same conclusion than another reaction hybrid would be one of the best options to go for, even if I was using it for general purpose use and not as a pure MTB.
I think the main reason NOT to go for the cube would just be if one was going to use it exclusively on good condition roads, and you really disliked the more chunky look of an MTB.
What is the old model you used to make a hybrid bike? Just interested

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
What is the old model you used to make a hybrid bike? Just interested
I think its something like Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Race 29.
Probably a bit of overkill in terms of spec as a commuter as its got stuff like a fairly decent suspension fork, XT derailleur etc. But I got a really good deal on it at the time :)

Patrick86

Jul 7, 2022
Thanks so much for all your thoughts all, really appreciate it.

Alongside these comments I did a bit more research. Now choosing between:
  • Gazelle Medeo T10 - bosch performance line, 500 battery
  • Buying a second hand bike and a kit from Woosh.
I'm leaning towards the latter, but which bike and which motor is a whole new question... I don't mind spending up to a £2,500 if it's worth it, but sounds like for around £500 for a bike and £1000 for the kit should be plenty?

Would something like this be a decent bet? Found a slightly older used model I think for about £400.

In terms of the motor, some reading has made me think that a rear hub drive might be preferable to a mid-drive, but I really don't have much idea. It'll mainly be for getting me around London with fairly mild hills, but I like the idea of being able to go on gentle off-road things. I guess I like the idea of the motor not feeling too divorced from peddling, though at the same time do want the option of a decent assist given my long-covid related limitations.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
In terms of the motor, some reading has made me think that a rear hub drive might be preferable to a mid-drive, but I really don't have much idea. It'll mainly be for getting me around London with fairly mild hills, but I like the idea of being able to go on gentle off-road things.
Rear hub is probably better for that, simple but effective. Cadence sensor (*) won't be quite so 'natural'; but a decent controller should still give a rewarding assisted pedalling experience. With cadence sensing you can get engine power as long as you can keep the pedals turning without effort pushing them; really helpful when tired and you hit a hill on the way home.

(*) You've probably already read that typically hub bikes/kits use cadence sensors and crank drive use torque sensors, but that there are plenty of exceptions both ways round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick86

Patrick86

Jul 7, 2022
Actually, now I'm reading up on more rear hub motors, and looking at cost of donor bikes etc.. (sadly the Kathmandu one was sold), I'm now leaning heavily to the Gran Camino; the more I learn the better deal it seems. I shouldn't be surprised, given how much praise Woosh get here.

Or perhaps toe Faro , though less friendly for off-road it does seem a lot lighter, even with a 17ah battery.

I might even get a 2nd 17ah battery given the Cycle2Work budget can allow it...