E-bike won’t go over 20mph

Gaknight

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2024
Hi all and thanks in advance of your help. I’ve had my Carrera subway e-bike for 3 years now and I hadn’t used it for about a year as it had the cutting out problem always seemed to happen on hills lol. Halfords were useless fobbed off with pathetic excuses for a known fault. Well I got it out to see if I could get it going good again or needed a new e-bike. So got the battery charged up and tried again. It took some fettering about to release the brakes but all done and to my surprise it powered up and away I went all good. Except when I get to a nice downhill and want to see what speed I can get the bike feels like the brakes are restricting my speed to 20 mph. Before the bikes lay up I regularly hit 40 mph on the steep hills. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to remove the brake pads reset the pistons in the bake reinstall the pads and center them so there not rubbing.

prob best to get a cheap bike stand to do this.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can check whether the brakes are binding straight away by lifting the bike and spinning the wheels by hand. If the back wheel doesn't spin, remove the brake caliper from the disc (2 screws) and try again. If the wheel still doesn't spin, the clutch is stuck, so whack the wheel in the forward direction to free it.

Gaknight

Feb 18, 2024
Both wheels turn free now but rear wheel doesn’t turn as free as front Also when I turn the rear wheel it feels like friction in the motor stops it turning as freely as the front.

Gaknight

Feb 18, 2024
you need to remove the brake pads reset the pistons in the bake reinstall the pads and center them so there not rubbing.

prob best to get a cheap bike stand to do this.
I’ve got new brake pads and will do this when my bike stand gets delivered.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i doubt the brakes would slow you down that much tho

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bearings could be shot/ ceased

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
will have to get inside off it and take a look first.

Reactions: Gaknight

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Hi all and thanks in advance of your help. I’ve had my Carrera subway e-bike for 3 years now and I hadn’t used it for about a year as it had the cutting out problem always seemed to happen on hills lol. Halfords were useless fobbed off with pathetic excuses for a known fault. Well I got it out to see if I could get it going good again or needed a new e-bike. So got the battery charged up and tried again. It took some fettering about to release the brakes but all done and to my surprise it powered up and away I went all good. Except when I get to a nice downhill and want to see what speed I can get the bike feels like the brakes are restricting my speed to 20 mph. Before the bikes lay up I regularly hit 40 mph on the steep hills. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It is ILLEGAL in the UK to go over 20 I assume either you are NOT UK based or don't care about other people or the law

GOOD for Halfords in not helping you illegally to de restrict a bike

• Disagree
Reactions: joelectric

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It is ILLEGAL in the UK to go over 20 I assume either you are NOT UK based or don't care about other people or the law

No it's not. The motor should not assist over 15.5 mph (or 17mph if you include the 10% leeway) but you can cycle as fast as you like non assisted

Except when I get to a nice downhill and want to see what speed I can get the bike feels like the brakes are restricting my speed to 20 mph

Gaknight

Feb 18, 2024

Only in a twenty mph speed limit zone. My e-bike stops assisting me at 15.5 mph then I am on my own steam.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Only in a twenty mph speed limit zone. My e-bike stops assisting me at 15.5 mph then I am on my own steam.
Due to odd quirks in the way speed limits apply, probably not illegal to exceed 20mph even in a 20mph zone ;assuming the bike is in every way legal as a pedelec.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

UK law NO ebike goes over
15.5mph

Other than that you have had the only good advice above

An ebike can go as fast as you can pedal, as long as you do so safely. In terms of electric assistance, this can't be provided above 15.5mph on UK roads if you want the electric bike to be subject to normal bicycle rules.

• Disagree
Reactions: joelectric

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

give me 20k ill make it 200bhp electric :p