E Bikes And Sat Navs

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Does anyone use Satellite Navigation systems with their e bikes?
I have quite an old Garmin GPS 2 plus, so there are no addresses or postcodes usable on it, you have to put in North and West co ordinates, or literally first go to the destination, and mark that position for future use. All there is on the display is a circle representing the globe and a north facing arrow, keep the arrow vertical to get home, not very sophisticated but effective.
Not much room on the handlebars for it though what with the lights, bell, gear shift, computer, so I tape it to the handlebar stem. Very useful back in the autumn when I was staying on the edge of Dartmoor with all it's little windy lanes and tracks, pointing me to my home destination.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I have used the satnav on my Nokia phone on occasion when trying to work out which way to go next... Mostly I just use the Nokia Sports Tracker software so that the phone acts as my speedo/altimiter. The phone's been living in my pocket so far when I've been riding, but I've ordered a clear case for the phone which I plan to stick to the handlebars so I can clip the phone in/out.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi,

That's a timely revival of the topic. I got a Nokia N95 only yesterday and I'm still working out how to use it. So far I've only got the free maps on it, but I'm impressed with the sensitivity of the GPS receiver.

Fecn, what was the system you are running on your Nokia. I've heard of people putting Garmin XT on them, but you had something different didn't you?

Nick

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'm just using the default Nokia Maps application, plus the Nokia Sports Tracker beta. Haven't got around to trying the Garmin stuff yet, but I will do one day as I'd like some better maps which know about the cycle paths.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
N95?

Nick

They have just brought out the N96 with all sorts of internet screen touch applications. Isn't the N95 old hat? Although I shouldn't really comment as I have a Sony Ericsson W900i brick!

Conal

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I have had a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 for a couple of weeks (I didn't pay nearly that much for it!) and am using it with Wayfinder software and one of these little beauties in my coat pocket. It works a treat on the Torq, on foot, on the motorbike and in the car. Also excellent linked to the mobile version of Google maps.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Nick

They have just brought out the N96 with all sorts of internet screen touch applications. Isn't the N95 old hat? Although I shouldn't really comment as I have a Sony Ericsson W900i brick!

Conal
That's obviously why I could get a free N95 with 4000 minutes, unlimited texts, mobile internet, and personal maidservant for £5 a month. I should have tried bargaining, but...

Nick

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
I'm just using the default Nokia Maps application, plus the Nokia Sports Tracker beta. Haven't got around to trying the Garmin stuff yet, but I will do one day as I'd like some better maps which know about the cycle paths.
I got a Nokia 6220 last week just for the Sports Tracker feature, only managed to get it all set up today and off out for a ride shortly (it's -2 here) on the MTB. Any idea how to upgrade the Nokia maps for more detailed versions ? Are you just using the GPS or the AGPS with network assistance ?

Also got the Boxit waterproof case and cycle mount, very pleased with the fit and quality, you can still operate the keys through the case. Some good reviews for Boxit and appears to be a very good bet for smartphones.

Zaza

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2008
Sat Nav

I use my Sat Nav on my new Green Edge Silverado.

I bought a Sat Nav mount for a bike which I found on Ebay. There's
no problem with space on the handlebars

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I got a Nokia 6220 last week just for the Sports Tracker feature, only managed to get it all set up today and off out for a ride shortly (it's -2 here) on the MTB. Any idea how to upgrade the Nokia maps for more detailed versions ? Are you just using the GPS or the AGPS with network assistance ?
No idea how to get better maps from Nokia - Ideally I'd like Ordnance Survey maps on there but haven't worked out how to get them yet. I gave the Garmin Mobile XT a try yesterday, but am totally unimpressed with it so I'll stick to the Nokia Maps for now. I am using AGPS as it means I get a signal lock within a few seconds instead of a few minutes.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Don't forget you can get Google Maps on your phone. It's a free download for Windows Mobile, Blackberry or Nokia. It centres on your current GPS location and downloads the street or aerial maps accordingly as you move with zoom options available. Obviously you've got to be in reception for it to work, and I you might want to check your carriers data charges too! Good choice in an emergency though.

Also, if you want to SatNav on your bike, have a look at Slipstreamz. They're great for hearing your SatNav AND the traffic. Plus they keep you ears warm in winter!

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
iPhone Maps

Hi Guys,
Seems like I'm the only one who uses google maps on an iPhone.
Before that I had a Mitac Mio with memory-maps.
both were too expensive to mount on a bike. So I had to stop to check my location.

Seeker

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Guys,
Seems like I'm the only one who uses google maps on an iPhone.
Before that I had a Mitac Mio with memory-maps.
both were too expensive to mount on a bike. So I had to stop to check my location.

Seeker
I tried Google maps but found it was slow and unreliable so I just stuck to maps instead. It may fare better in the sticks where accuracy isn't so important.

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Maps

I tried Google maps but found it was slow and unreliable so I just stuck to maps instead. It may fare better in the sticks where accuracy isn't so important.
Do you mean hardcopy Ordnance Survey Maps? Cos Memory Maps uses digitised ordnance survey maps and it pinpointed your location in less than about 5 seconds. I still uses it for cycling in the country.
Wish I could say the same phone the iPhone (Jack of all trades)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Do you mean hardcopy Ordnance Survey Maps? Cos Memory Maps uses digitised ordnance survey maps and it pinpointed your location in less than about 5 seconds. I still uses it for cycling in the country.
Wish I could say the same phone the iPhone (Jack of all trades)
I have special cycling maps from Transport For London, they are free and fairly good.