E-Bikes in warm weather

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Are there any special mechanical considerations for riding an e-bike in the 35°C heat forecast for the UK next week. I have a shortish 15-18 mile ride planned and anticipate using fairly high levels of assistance on inclines and will probably maintain at least 40% on the flat rather than over stress my knackered old body !

Range isn’t an isssue but just wondering if constant demand at highish temperatures will affect battery life.

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
I live in Cyprus, where it is hot for a lot of the year, I have never had any battery problems still on the original Shimano battery (2016), the only thing is I do not leave the battery out in the heat when the bicycle is not in use, it is kept in a cool place and charged the night before going out for a ride.

Reactions: Barnsleyrob

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
At low power demand there will likely be no noticeable difference, but as power I.e. assistance demand rises, cooling will be more difficult so motor and controller will run hotter, and if they have thermal limiting you might notice it kicking in. If they don't then things are more likely to fail.

Taking it easy on flat roads: no problem. Serious uphillery: could be trouble!

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I’m hoping that a cider break after the uphill bit will allow the battery and controller to cool and recover from some of the sag. I appreciate that younger members may prefer water but we‘re in our 60’s and managed 1976 ok.

Reactions: flash